Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Question Quota For Some AL State Troopers?

Click the link for the full story.

Alabama troopers at Birmingham post instructed to cite more for DUI | al.com

Alabama troopers at Birmingham post instructed to cite more for DUI

Published: Sunday, June 13, 2010, 5:30 AM Updated: Saturday, June 12, 2010, 11:21 PM

Kent Faulk -- The Birmingham News

Alabama State Troopers are out in force for a 10-day blitz, targeting impaired drivers and seat belt violations. (The Birmingham News file)
    The number of tickets for DUI written by state police from the Birmingham post doubled in March after a memo from the acting post commander threatened to punish any trooper who did not make at least three DUI arrests by the end of that month.
    Trooper officials defended the memo from now-retired Sgt. Steve Bryant and obtained by The Birmingham News. The memo said each trooper should make at least three DUI arrests by the end of March, and that those who failed to do so could lose their day-shift assignments or opportunities for overtime pay.
    The Birmingham post made 50 arrests in both January and February, but in March the number jumped to 97, according to data provided by the state troopers. In April there were 91 DUI arrests and 117 in May.
    Two lawyers said the memo, sent by e-mail and dated March 4, appeared to be giving troopers an arrest quota. But state trooper officials contend that while it sounded like a quota, troopers don't have quotas and the e-mail was simply a poorly worded attempt to get the highway patrolmen to step up efforts to cut down on impaired drivers.
    "Could it have been stated in a better way? Certainly it could have," said Capt. Neil Tew, assistant chief of the highway patrol division.
    The e-mail from Bryant went to troopers in the Birmingham post, which includes Blount, Jefferson, St. Clair, Shelby and Walker counties. It was sent to six corporals. At least one corporal forwarded it to more than three dozen troopers at the post.
    "We have closed the books on the second month of the year; many of our folks have one or fewer DUI arrests," according to Bryant's e-mail, "... advise your personnel that anyone with less than three DUI arrests at the close of March will lose their day shifts and/or extra-duty privileges."
    Efforts last week to reach Bryant for comment were unsuccessful. Bryant retired in May, but the memo had nothing to do with his decision to retire, Tew and other trooper officials said.
    "Initially, this issue is lose-lose for both sides of the table; the trooper on the roadway and the citizens of this area," said Whitney Polson, a DUI defense attorney in Homewood.
    "The arrest determination should be based upon facts, not threats of lost pay and time away from the family," Polson said.
    Could hamper cases
    Polson and another attorney also said they believed the quota in the e-mail could cast doubt on the legitimacy of DUI arrests.
    Phillip Price, a Huntsville attorney and author of the legal reference Alabama DUI Handbook, said he believes quotas exist in law enforcement but he had never seen it put in writing like that before.
    Tew said that while he hadn't spoken to Bryant about the e-mail, he believes it was Bryant's "absolute intent" to achieve their enforcement goal of stopping impaired driving rather than just having them focus only on speeding.
    "I think his intention was absolutely the best," Tew said, adding that there wasn't a mandate from state trooper headquarters in Montgomery to raise the number of arrests at the Birmingham post. He also said he hadn't heard of any complaints from troopers about the e-mail.
    No troopers at that post have been reassigned or refused extra duty since the memo was sent, Tew said. Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Martha Earnhardt said she doesn't dispute that the e-mail contributed to the increased DUI arrests.
    Earnhardt emphasized the department doesn't have a quota system. She cited highway patrol division policy, which says no trooper will be required to make a prescribed number of arrests.
    But supervisors are encouraged to get troopers to perform to a certain level, Earnhardt said.
    And the Department of Public Safety doesn't apologize for getting tough on DUI in recent years, Earnhardt said. "Traffic safety is troopers' top priority," she said.
    Troopers have been concentrating on cutting the number of traffic fatalities in the state since Col. Chris Murphy became director of the Department of Public Safety in December 2006, Earnhardt said.
    Several programs, including Take Back Our Highways and Task Force Zero, were launched to crack down on impaired driving and reduce the number of accidents and fatalities on Alabama roadways, Earnhardt said.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    Supervisors like that are everybody's best friend!

I think it's safe to say that if something like that were tried here, the "DUI arrests for March" would have been about half what they were in February...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm guessing the Sergeant is discussing the finer points of motivation with the Captain more frequently now.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    How are you supposed to find three DUIs on dayshift?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I'm guessing the Sergeant is discussing the finer points of motivation with the Captain more frequently now.

He is " recently retired". Also I put a link to this thread in the comments section to this story on al.com. We may have visitors.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    So wisconsin isn't the only state where DUI is a traffic ticket?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post

It is an arrest that has to have a UTC (uniform traffic citation) issued with it in AL.

ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    They probably cite and release in WI.

Here's your DUI ticket, now drive safe!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We can cite and release here too, or book. Officer choice.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We can cite and release here too, or book. Officer choice.

Holy liability issues Batman.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    How are you supposed to find three DUIs on dayshift?!?!?!?

Well, Hell, Bob. One of my deputies once arrested a bus driver in a metro bus for DUI int he middle of the day. How hard can t be?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Holy liability issues Batman.

That's just silly. If I put someone in a cab they are no longer my problem.

If I can't find a responsible to come get their car, it gets impounded.

Booking into the King County Jail costs over $300. Justify booking every DUI at that rate.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Booking into the King County Jail costs over $300. Justify booking every DUI at that rate.

Part of our reason for arrest is that we have to take them for their breath test at the jail. I like your way better though.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We don't have quotas. We have "Performance Objectives."
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    They were also called "Performance Indicators" here.

Thankfully at the moment we have an enlighted boss who tells ius to caution if we see fit for minor stuff and come down hard on the big stuff.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

213th is offline Solipsist
    It is an arrest that has to have a UTC (uniform traffic citation) issued with it in AL.
    Oh okay. Here first offense is a ticket only. But then again, one of our esteemed state senators has 3 dui's over the past year or so and 5 total. Go figure
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Oh okay. Here first offense is a ticket only. But then again, one of our esteemed state senators has 3 dui's over the past year or so and 5 total. Go figure
    You still get arrested for DWI in WI. But the offense isn't criminal. It's punishable by a fine only.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

We book 'em all, unless they're hospitalized. There was a case a few years back somewhere in New England where the cops take a guy in for DUI. He calls a buddy, who comes and signs for him after the breath test, and he's released. They proceed to reclaim the arrestee's car, and he drives it home... except he doesn't quite make it home. He gets into a crash, still drunk, and kills a sailor. Even if the escape direct liability -- it looks really bad.

As to "quotas'... our patrol guys supposedly have some performance goals, which are assessed in totality with what's going on, like training or dispatch duties. Looking at the large number of goose eggs on the last published stat sheet... I don't think anyone's really looking at 'em or doing anything about it!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Part of our reason for arrest is that we have to take them for their breath test at the jail. I like your way better though.
    Oh, they get arrested and taken to the station for BAC.

Then, if they are well behaved, they get a cite and are released to a cab.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, they are not cited and released at the scene of the stop.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh, they get arrested and taken to the station for BAC.

Then, if they are well behaved, they get a cite and are released to a cab.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, they are not cited and released at the scene of the stop.

I followed you. It gives people incentive to cooperate is what I like about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information