Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

IPCC clears G20 protest sergeant Delroy Smellie

BBC News - IPCC clears G20 protest sergeant Delroy Smellie

A police officer accused of striking a woman with a baton at a G20 protest has been cleared by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Sgt Delroy Smellie was alleged to have assaulted Nicola Fisher, 36, of Brighton, during the protest in Exchange Square, London, in April 2009.

The officer was found not guilty of common assault at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court in March.

Now the IPCC has concluded Mr Smellie has no case to answer.

IPCC deputy chairwoman Deborah Glass said: "Now proceedings are concluded we are publishing our final report.

"Most of the detail is already in the public domain as a result of Sergeant Smellie's trial but, given the public interest in the case, I believe it is important to ensure there is a public record of the investigation and our findings."

While Sgt Smellie will not face disciplinary action, the IPCC has made two recommendations as a result of the investigation.

It said the Met should ensure all items of equipment worn by police should have the officer's shoulder number attached and clearly visible.

The report also said shifts should be planned to give officers eight-hour-long rest breaks as a minimum.

The Crown Prosecution Service had prosecuted Mr Smellie, claiming he lost composure because of Ms Fisher's aggressive behaviour.

It argued he was justified in pushing her back and striking her with the back of his hand but claimed he went too far by striking her with an extendable metal baton.

Ms Fisher was left with severe bruising to her leg.

Lawful self-defence

The incident was later viewed by thousands on internet video sharing website YouTube.

District Judge Daphne Wickham found no evidence had been provided to show use of the baton was not measured or correct.

She said: "It was for the prosecution to prove this defendant was not acting in lawful self-defence.

"The prosecution has failed in this respect and the defendant has raised the issue of lawful self-defence and as such is entitled to be acquitted."
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Cleared by the Independent Police Complaints Commission. POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG
    A police officer accused of striking a woman with a baton at a G20 protest has been cleared by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Sgt Delroy Smellie was alleged to have assaulted Nicola Fisher, 36, of Brighton, during the protest in Exchange Square, London, in April 2009.

The officer was found not guilty of common assault at City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court in March.

Now the IPCC has concluded Mr Smellie has no case to answer.

“We live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded. I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honour, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post”
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Cleared by the Independent Police Complaints Commission. POLICE INSPECTOR BLOG “We live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded. I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honour, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post”
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Motorwaycop is online now Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm glad I don't get sent on these kind of demo's. I be rather inclined to do a "Smellie" on every one of the so called protesters who got in my face.
    Then I'm getting old and cranky.

I know that "do a Smellie" sounds gross. What can I say.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If you don't want to be hit with a baton don't act like an ass clown at a protest. Glad the Sergeant was cleared.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    She had a bruised leg? Sgt Smellie needs to learn not to hit like a girl.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    She had a bruised leg? Sgt Smellie needs to learn not to hit like a girl.
    Tough crowd.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm glad he got cleared. I agree that she is lucky that bruising is all she got
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Thread Information