Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Chicago P.D. to use new computer system to track officer's performance

Chicago cops will come under closer scrutiny under a new department plan announced Friday, but officials said that the goal is not to punish officers.

A new computer system will track a number of job performance numbers -- including officers' sick days, citizen complaints and arrest figures -- and flag supervisors to problems, Police Supt. Philip J. Cline said at police headquarters.

Cline said warnings will not trigger disciplinary actions but instead what he called "intervention," which might include counseling or additional training.

"The idea is to correct behavior before it becomes a disciplinary issue," said Cline.

The system will also help set benchmarks for successful performance, he added. Good numbers by "high achievers" could be used for better assignments, he said.

While the department already logs performance and complaint data, it is not done in a coordinated way, he said.

Cline said he is working "hand-in-hand" with police unions on the plan, called the Personnel Performance System.

"It takes us six months to train a cop. For us to just cavalierly try to get rid of a cop, we'd be much better off, with the investment we have in them, to correct behavior and do it with early intervention," said Cline.

As an example, by analyzing days an officer calls in sick, the department might, after an investigation, discover that the officer has day care problems or a sick parent, he said.

UNION: 'COULD BE BENEFICIAL'

The system could also be used to define arrest or complaint averages. "If the average is one complaint and a guy has five, that's a red flag," said Cline.

The department has been looking at similar programs in other cities.

Mark Donohue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, which represents 11,600 officers, was warm to the idea, as long as it is not used to build a case for dismissal.

"This is something that could be beneficial to the officer, not only in his professional life but in his personal life," said Donohue.

No timetable has been set for launching the new system.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    The system could also be used to define arrest or complaint averages. "If the average is one complaint and a guy has five, that's a red flag," said Cline.
    This is bad.. maybe instead the guy just ran into 5 assholes and now he has to explain himself.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I already work under a system like this

Signal_W Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave
    I already work under a system like this
    We have something similar to that also. I have heard that IAB wil "flag" your file if you have too many "Use of Force" reports.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Tracking sick days is odd to me. If they don't want you to take them, don't give so many. The department I was employed by said if you had more than the county average for sick day usage, you wouldn't get your career development or something like that.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Tracking sick days is odd to me. If they don't want you to take them, don't give so many. The department I was employed by said if you had more than the county average for sick day usage, you wouldn't get your career development or something like that.

Not really. As a former supervisor, I can tell you that people that abuse sick time can be a pain. Mostly because they take unscheduled days off and can often leave you shorthanded if you've given some other guys vacation days off. I have no problem with dealing with it if they're sick, but to just burn a day can make it a little tougher on the other guys. And usually these guys take sick time on days that others want off.

I was just an officer then, but it got so bad at one point where I worked that they limited vacation days for the responsible people because they had to anticipate the jerks calling in sick. Also, it's usually those that throw up the biggest whine when something catastrophic does happen to them and they don't have any sick time left.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

buzz354 is offline Rookie
    BS system. My City has heavy urban ghetto areas and quiet residential ones. I happen to work in one of the buisiest districts. I generate far more complaints, use of force reports and arrests than an Officer in a quiet one. Hel I have already been "warned" about racial profiling because my stats lean heavily to a particular race, the one predominent in my District

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz354
    BS system. My City has heavy urban ghetto areas and quiet residential ones. I happen to work in one of the buisiest districts. I generate far more complaints, use of force reports and arrests than an Officer in a quiet one. Hel I have already been "warned" about racial profiling because my stats lean heavily to a particular race, the one predominent in my District

See, it's the opposite area from where I work. I can go work in the ghetto, bag a few arrests, talk to people, or whatever.. And generally escape a complaint.

However, go into the rich neighborhood, and don't do something they want you to do, and it's complaint hell. I've gotten a few all ready from the rich neighborhoods.

After that, my STI told me unless it's a burglary in progress, ALWAY run lights and sirens RIGHT UP TO THE FRONT DOOR if I get a chance to in those neighborhoods.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Around here some of the biggest complaints against officers are for speeding or being rude on a traffic stop. Of course few people realize that the excessive speed is often because the call doesn't warrant code 3, but is more urgent than a coffee break.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I have no problem with tracking these things. Most complaints are easily dealt with & explained. If you work hard, you will get complaints. However, my advice to anyone in police work today is dont have a damn the complaints & full speed ahead attitude. Some complaints are avoidable, some, by the nature of the incident you respond so are less so.

If used properly, it can identify problems. I had one guy who worked for me that got lots of complaints. Since he worked a high crime area there wasn nothing eye opening about it till we looked at the nature of complaints. They were almost all for using racial slurs. It was pretty obvious what was going on.

Used correctly, this has the potential to be a useful tool.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Not really. As a former supervisor, I can tell you that people that abuse sick time can be a pain. Mostly because they take unscheduled days off and can often leave you shorthanded if you've given some other guys vacation days off. I have no problem with dealing with it if they're sick, but to just burn a day can make it a little tougher on the other guys. And usually these guys take sick time on days that others want off.

I was just an officer then, but it got so bad at one point where I worked that they limited vacation days for the responsible people because they had to anticipate the jerks calling in sick. Also, it's usually those that throw up the biggest whine when something catastrophic does happen to them and they don't have any sick time left.

I couldn't agree with you more. As a supervisor, I deal with people like that all the time. I have a few individuals that consistantly call out sick when our vacation book is closed, or they are scheduled to work a weekend. What's worse is that our department dosen't take any action on it. They say that if they have the time, they can take it. By that rationale, If I want to use a vacation day, I should just be able to call in instead of clearing it with the supervisor. I typically find that the repeat offenders don't have any respect for their squad mates and it tends to show in other aspects of their job.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Smartest thing I've seen was a company that gave you 20 days a year, sick or vacation. I guess the only problem is that sick days allow you to call in when you should otherwise be on your way to work. It's a good idea though, otherwise.

Thread Information