Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Slouching Toward Idiocracy

That this is news is astonishing. It's only new, or news because nobody had considered people so utterly mind numbingly stupid before. And so, it makes sense Microsoft came along to solve this problem.

Microsoft tech lets batteries load in either direction

The company said Thursday it has a patent for designing devices so that batteries can be inserted either way, regardless of polarity. Dubbed InstaLoad, Microsoft said, the technology is now available for license to other companies.

Further, the company said it will offer the license royalty-free to companies making products for people with hearing, vision, or learning disabilities.

Battery maker Duracell and flashlight manufacturer AE Light are among the first companies to license the technology, Microsoft said.

The technology appears to work simply enough, including both positive and negative contacts at both ends. A center contact at the top supports a positive charge, while the wider bottom contact supports negative polarity.

Still, it would seem to be a big time saver. Microsoft bills it as particularly useful for devices that use a lot of batteries, that need to have batteries changed frequently, or that can be damaged if the batteries are inserted improperly.

"Seems kinda handy, what's the downside?" First of all, MS is offering this royalty-free for people with physical challenges. Nice. Except, not so much. More like pandering, insulting even - but it gives great PR cover to charge on the other 95% of devices.

That they get to charge licensing at all for this circuit anyone could write up after 10 minutes of studying electrical circuits is a FARCE. Shame on whatever enforcement agency that would back that.

Big time saver? Bigger waste of time to challenge that point. And while yes, there is the occasional device that can be damaged by inserting the batteries backward, this "solution" won't solve that. That only happens on devices where an even simpler fault circuit is left out to save cost. A car produced so cheap there are no seatbelts is going to get airbags instead? That's how BS that bit of PR is.

Before this I could almost imagine a toilet with arrows pointed on it showing "Shit goes this way", but I now see that's already outdated thinking. I need to imagine a toilet that allows you to unleash in any direction and expect it to clean up after you.

Whata world.

/rant

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    [COLOR="Green"]That they get to charge licensing at all for this circuit anyone could write up after 10 minutes of studying electrical circuits is a FARCE. Shame on whatever enforcement agency that would back that.
    You didn't think of it.

Seriously though, I don't even know why this is news, or who cares. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. How often do you hear about explosions or house fires resulting from consumer electronics with reversed batteries?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    You didn't think of it.

Seriously though, I don't even know why this is news, or who cares. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. How often do you hear about explosions or house fires resulting from consumer electronics with reversed batteries?
    I did go to a disturbance the other day where an idiot was screaming at the clerk they needed to replace his tv remote since it was the batteries fault that he put them in the wrong way and broke it
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

ďA fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.Ē Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I did go to a disturbance the other day where an idiot was screaming at the clerk they needed to replace his tv remote since it was the batteries fault that he put them in the wrong way and broke it
    The technology to fix that problem existed right after someone figured out the right size stick.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

I figured the little picture of what way to put the battery in was good enough technology apparently not. Lol.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Local is offline Alright meow, hand over your license
    Verified LEO
    Hmm, the title made me think this was an Obama thread
    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Local" on Officerresource.com.

Thread Information