Welcome to the APBWeb.
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Talking Roanoke officer wins lawsuit

Judge: Activist defamed officer - Roanoke.com

Judge: Activist defamed officer
    Shaheed Omar hopes to appeal the Roanoke Co. ruling that orders him to pay the officer $5,000.
    By Mike Gangloff

A Roanoke community activist who compared a city police officer's shooting of a teenager with the actions of a Ku Klux Klansman must pay the officer $5,000 for defamation, a judge said Thursday.

Judge John Quigley, who heard the case in Roanoke County General District Court, took just 35 minutes to hear the evidence and decide that Shaheed Omar, a frequent critic of the police department, defamed Officer Jason Hicks by saying at a city council meeting that the officer had been wanting to shoot someone.

Rest at Link
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A iudge actually ruled in favor of a cop ???

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    A iudge actually ruled in favor of a cop ???

Note the judge is retired and hence does not have to worry about voters anymore
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Then you must be implying that the judge ruled strictly on the merits of the case. What a noble concept. I doubt if it catches on.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Then you must be implying that the judge ruled strictly on the merits of the case. What a noble concept. I doubt if it catches on.
    my thoughts as well...

It is refreshing to hear that an officer decided not to put up with the bull manure and sue; and WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Omar's attorney, Tommy Strelka of Roanoke, called the ruling "very disappointing" and said he hoped to have a chance to argue during an appeal that the Constitution's guarantee of free speech protects Omar.

"Mr. Omar has the right to comment -- and criticize the police department of his community," Strelka said.
    And you sir have the right to be a dumbass for defending him. Free Speech is one thing, Accusing someone of being a member of the KKK is entirely another and going way too far. Prejudicism will get you nowhere this day in age.

Oh, so it is alright for a black man to make racially motivated comments about what happened to his ancestors, but now a white (presumably) man takes issue with it, decides to sue, win his case and the black man is acting all butt-hurt?

Had the situation been reversed, the courts would have been all over the white man. Nevermind that he is a LEO.

Get with the times, Omar. Quit digging up the past. Stuff like this needs to be buried, never to be heard from again. As Morgan Freeman once said, and I am paraphrasing here, is "The only way to stop racial hatred is to quit talking about it and start treating each other as human beings." Move on for Christ sakes.

Strelka and Omar said after the hearing that an appeal depends whether Omar can raise $5,000 needed as a bond before filing.

As for paying Hicks, Omar wrote in an e-mail Thursday evening, "I will die before I give him a dime. He just got me started!"

The only evidence at the brief trial was Hicks' testimony that he'd been embarrassed by Omar's words and a videotape of the January council meeting where Omar spoke.
    Sometimes the only way you can get these morons to STFU is to get them in the wallet where it counts. Maybe Omar should go to jail for contempt of court, since he is unwilling to pay.

A judge actually ruled in favor of a cop ???

Shocking, isn't it. It should happen more often.

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Sigh, more likely than not, this is probably the case.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    As for paying Hicks, Omar wrote in an e-mail Thursday evening, "I will die before I give him a dime. He just got me started!"

This sounds disturbing. Just getting started? On what?

Another Roanoke officer sued a critic in 1995. In that case, an officer who was accused of using excessive force, then cleared, filed a lawsuit against his accuser and won $2,500.

Maybe this is the way to go, bring them before a judge when they accuse officers of things like this. It's lies like this that hurt LE. There are morons that buy into the lies and act on it...kind of a "get them before they get me" attitude.

Glad to hear the officer won.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

bigdeel is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

re

Maybe if he were in his on country he would'nt have to worry about what leo does here in our on country

Thread Information