Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Leicestershire farmer wants Chinese lantern ban

A farmer has called for a ban on the sale of Chinese lanterns after a fire at his Leicestershire farm.

The National Farmers' Union says the lanterns are a danger to the countryside

Farmer John Duffin, of Bruntingthorpe, said several paper lanterns, which float with a small flame inside them, landed on his farm on Sunday evening.

Mr Duffin said his brother Bill was bailing straw when he saw the lanterns and extinguished the subsequent fire.

The National Farmers' Union (NFU) has said the lanterns are a danger to the countryside.

The NFU said Bill Duffin's actions may have saved thousands of pounds worth of damage to his brother's fields.

John Duffin said: "Bill saw the lanterns landing in the dry straw. There seemed to be a lot of them landing in the field and in the next door field of grass, which we'll shortly be cutting for silage.

"We'll have our work cut out to find them now and I'm worried that if we don't find them all, they could get chopped up in the silage and months down the line, the wire pieces could kill a cow by perforating her stomach.

"I really think lanterns should be banned They're just too dangerous."

Leicestershire NFU vice chairman Chris Parker said: "In the driest summer for many years, the lanterns could easily have set off a huge fire causing damage not just to crops, but to wildlife, properties and the environment too.

"We want event managers and the public to think twice about letting off these party 'toys'."

The lanterns, made of paper, wire and bamboo and containing a lit candle, can float for miles before landing.

BBC News - Leicestershire farmer wants Chinese lantern ban

Those sneaky Chinese setting crops on fire and killing cows
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Its just a way to get England to buy more Chinese goods
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Napalm is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Unfortunately, the stamp on the bottom of the lantern said Made in Mexico.
    Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Unfortunately, the stamp on the bottom of the lantern said Made in Mexico.

FTW! Reps!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information