Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Helmet-free motorbike thieves not pursued by police

BBC News - Helmet-free motorbike thieves not pursued by police

Police in Greater Manchester let three thieves drive away on stolen motorbikes - over fears for the safety of the riders who were not wearing helmets.

Officers were ordered not to pursue the bikes which were stolen from a showroom in Altrincham early on Thursday.

They instead watched as three people rode off on three bikes worth 17,000.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the national policy on the pursuit of motorbikes had been followed. Two men were later arrested.

Conservative Altrincham and Sale West MP Graham Brady criticised the decision to prevent the police from pursuing the trio, while shop owner Tony Crawford branded the policy "ridiculous".

Mr Brady said it appeared criminal safety had been put ahead of public priorities.

He said he was "very concerned" that the decision was taken centrally rather than allowing the officers to use their judgement.

"This doesn't, in my view, reflect the priorities of the public who would like to see police giving chase when they see criminals in the process of committing a crime."

Mr Crawford, who only recently set up the Manchester Motorbike Store on Woodfield Road, said: "I just think it's gone ridiculous.

"If they are going to steal these high-powered vehicles then they can literally go and do what they want with them, with the comfort that they know they're not going to get chased with whatever crimes they decide to do."

Supt Steve Nibloe, of GMP, said: "The officers were asked not to pursue the suspects, as they were not wearing the correct safety equipment and were not wearing helmets, so it is clear to me the correct decision was taken.

"Greater Manchester Police follows a nationwide policy which gives clear guidance that motorbikes should not be pursued because of the higher risk of injury to the rider.

"Detectives are pursuing a number of positive leads around this burglary as part of their thorough investigation, which is ongoing."

One of the vehicles has since been recovered and two men, aged 24 and 26, were arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle on Friday.

They have since been released on bail pending further inquiries until 10 September.

This is how the Spanish deal with this type of thing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMt4Oi7zV4o]YouTube - Horrible motorcycle accident that was on purpose. Caused by the police to stop a robbery attempt[/ame]

Think this one might be French

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8_NMG-LlBU&feature=related]YouTube - Horrible motorcycle crash[/ame]
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I like the Spanish and , I hate to admit it , the French way better.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No pursuit as there is no viable safe resolution or tactics . That is the reason.
    Can't use stinger, can't TPAC.
    Just wave bye bye.
    Apparently you can't get up alongside and smack them with your baton anymore...not that that's ever happened!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Why in the bloody hell would you coddle CRIMINALS?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I had to watch the "French" two or three times before I realized that there were two people on that bike and one jumped up and ran off after the crash. Amazing!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They should be chased until the wheels fall off
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I had to watch the "French" two or three times before I realized that there were two people on that bike and one jumped up and ran off after the crash. Amazing!
    Called the snaf gene they can jump out of windows, get hit by cars, take drug overdoses and survive when normal law abiding citizens would certainly die.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Here in Delaware it's legal for motorcyclists to not wear a helmet...however they do have to have one on the bike somewhere. Makes no sense, I know...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    They should be chased until the wheels fall off
    No arguments from most of us and the public.
    However times have changed and our unit has one of the more open pursuit policies, and we still aren't alowed to "chase". I do however check them for speed! I'm allowed to follow for a speed check you see, I'm not chasing, honestly.
    Whre there's a will.......
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    Here in Delaware it's legal for motorcyclists to not wear a helmet...however they do have to have one on the bike somewhere. Makes no sense, I know...
    Just in case they see their about to crash , they can hurry up and put the helmet on.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Napalm is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    So, I can steal a motorcycle, rob a bank, rape a horse, fondle grandma, and as long as I dont wear any safety equiptment, and ride away on a motorcycle...........the police will NOT chase me? WTF?
    Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Dumb thieves should have requested one of these:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTg7PUSVidI&feature=pl ayer_embedded]YouTube - Crashproof Motorbike[/ame]

or not!

(thanks 19)

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    So, I can steal a motorcycle, rob a bank, rape a horse, fondle grandma, and as long as I dont wear any safety equiptment, and ride away on a motorcycle...........the police will NOT chase me? WTF?
    Yes, it is better to let you live to commit more crime than try to defend a civil case from your family if you get hurt or killed (thats the attitude of our chiefs and politicians anyhow my view is a bit different).

Thread Information