Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Discovery Channel Hostage Taker

Police: Gunman inside Discovery building - wtop.com

Police: Gunman inside Discovery building

September 1, 2010 - 3:23pm

Police block the street in front of the headquarters of the Discovery Channel networks in Silver Spring, Md., Wednesday Sept. 1, 2010. Police say a gunman has taken at least one person hostage in the building. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
    div.template_most_related { border:1px solid #cccccc; width:205px; display:block; margin-bottom:10px; margin-left:5px;}div.template_most_re lated_title { font:bold 14pt; width:auto; background:#f1f1f1;} div.template_most_related_stor ies { padding:10px;} div.template_most_related_stor y { margin-bottom:5px; } a.template_most_related_story_ link { text-decoration:none; background: url('/images/core/nwsstrylnkbkg.gif') 0 5px no-repeat; padding-left:9px; margin-top:5px; } Related Stories
    School starts in Montgomery County

Montgomery Co. bus crash on Route 355 injures 13

Montgomery Co. police link officers with schools

Sketch of sexual assault suspect released

Police: Malvo won't discuss claim of more victims

SILVER SPRING, Md. - A gunman has entered the Discovery Communications building in Silver Spring and has taken "a small number" of people hostage, Montgomery County Police say.
    The gunman is on the first floor area of the Discovery Communications building.
    "At this point, we are still negotiating with him. The negotiations have been going on for nearly an hour," Montgomery County Police Chief Tom Manger says.
    Manger cannot confirm the identity of the suspect. There are no reports of any injuries.
    Police say the man walked into the lobby around 1 p.m. Wednesday. He is reportedly carrying explosives.
    The building has been evacuated. Most of the building's 1,900 employees are out, Manger says.
    Montgomery County Police Cpl. Dan Friz tells Channel 7 that a tactical team is trying to get in touch with the gunman, who is being monitored on closed circuit TV.
    The suspect has what he called "concerns" with the Discovery Corp., but he would not say if the man works there now or worked there in the past, Montgomery County Police Capt. Paul Starks says.
    WTOP National Security Correspondent J.J. Green and CBS News reports the suspect's name is James Jay Lee.
    Green reports Lee is about 40 years old and has been involved in protests near the Discovery Communications building for several years.
    Lee was arrested in 2008 for disorderly conduct and littering on the grounds of the building. At the time, Montgomery County Police said they were concerned with his mental state.
    Sources tell Green the suspect may have a list of demands on the Internet.
    Law enforcement sources tell WTOP the suspect may have a propane tank strapped to him.
    Sources are saying the suspect is allegedly upset about the documentary called "Whale Wars."
    Starks would not say whether anybody has been hurt.
    A daycare inside the building has also been evacuated. WTOP's Kate Ryan, who is on the scene, says children were being rolled out in cribs. The children were taken to a nearby McDonald's.
    Multiple witnesses have reported shots being fired, WTOP's Brennan Haselton reports.
    A person inside the building told The Associated Press says the man had something strapped to his chest and has hostages. The person refused to be identified, saying people inside have been told not to speak to the media.
    SWAT teams are at the building, which is located on Georgia Avenue in downtown Silver Spring, a police spokesperson tells WTOP.
    Bomb technicians are also on the scene, Montgomery County fire department spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia says.
    Faisal Afzal, a systems engineer at Discovery, tells WTOP he was heading back into the building after lunch at about 1 p.m. and was about 20 feet from the door when he heard a street vendor yelling.
    "We heard a street vendor yelling, there's a guy with a gun, there's a guy with a gun. He's in the building. And I saw people lying down on the floor at the building. And we just ran away from the building and we heard a couple shots fired," Afzal tells WTOP.
    "I saw at least four people lying sideways on the floor."
    Adam Dolan, a sales director in Discovery's education division, told The Associated Press by phone that he was heading to lunch with a co-worker when he heard there was a situation in the building.
    He was told to go back up to the top floor, the ninth, and lock the door and turn off the lights. Eventually the workers were herded down a stairwell and told to go home.
    "Everyone was very scared, but at the same time ... I think people were calm and collected and responded as one would expect in this situation," said Dolan, 28.
    When he got to the bottom floor, he saw shattered glass near the company's daycare and suspected it was broken to get the children out.
    WTOP's Kate Ryan, who is on the scene, says there is an amazing police presence in the area.
    "Police have absolutely saturated the area," Ryan says.
    Roads in the downtown Silver Spring area are closed. Drivers are being urged to avoid the area, if possible.
    The situation is not affecting Metro rail service. However, the Metro entrance on Wayne Avenue is closed, WTOP's Adam Tuss, who is on the scene, reports.
    Metrobus routes are being affected. (Copyright 2010 by WTOP and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

SILVER SPRING, Md. - A gunman has entered the Discovery Communications building in Silver Spring and has taken "a small number" of people hostage, Montgomery County Police say.

The gunman is on the first floor area of the Discovery Communications building.
    "At this point, we are still negotiating with him. The negotiations have been going on for nearly an hour," Montgomery County Police Chief Tom Manger says.
    Manger cannot confirm the identity of the suspect. There are no reports of any injuries.
    Police say the man walked into the lobby around 1 p.m. Wednesday. He is reportedly carrying explosives.
    The building has been evacuated. Most of the building's 1,900 employees are out, Manger says.
    Montgomery County Police Cpl. Dan Friz tells Channel 7 that a tactical team is trying to get in touch with the gunman, who is being monitored on closed circuit TV.
    The suspect has what he called "concerns" with the Discovery Corp., but he would not say if the man works there now or worked there in the past, Montgomery County Police Capt. Paul Starks says.
    WTOP National Security Correspondent J.J. Green and CBS News reports the suspect's name is James Jay Lee.
    Green reports Lee is about 40 years old and has been involved in protests near the Discovery Communications building for several years.
    Lee was arrested in 2008 for disorderly conduct and littering on the grounds of the building. At the time, Montgomery County Police said they were concerned with his mental state.
    Sources tell Green the suspect may have a list of demands on the Internet. Law enforcement sources tell WTOP the suspect may have a propane tank strapped to him.

Guy sounds like an Obama supporter
    Police respond to hostage case at Discovery headquarters in Silver Spring

A note posted online July 18 issues a list of demands to the Discovery Channel, saying the station "MUST broadcast to the world their commitment to save the planet." It lists 11 demands about airing shows that would promote curbing the plant's population growth, finding solutions for global warming and dismantling "the dangerous US world economy."
    "All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions," it reads. "In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it."
    The manifesto was published on savetheplanetprotest.com. The site is registered to James Lee, who gave a post office box in Canada as his address. There is no confirmation from authorities that the Web site has anything to do with the current situation at Discovery.

Copy of the left wing nut job's manifesto:

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk...01_demands.pdf

Left wing environmental wackos are a close second to Islamic Terroists on the list of people that concern me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Two things, first, if he kills Mike Rowe, media as we know it will cease (seriously, that guy does voiceovers for EVERY FUCKING THING!!)

Second, that manifesto is HILARIOUS. Anchor baby filth.. classic..

Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Two more observations;

1. I agree with him, I'm sick and tired of all the stupid baby shows. To be honest, I think the Duggers need to be dragged out back and beat with a rubber hose.

And finally, on a serious note. His manefesto clearly shows a disdain for human life. I imagine this will likely be a very bad outcome for those involved.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He is no longer a concern for the living on this planet. He is now composting.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2042177

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information