Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Jury Delivers Verdict In Police Excessive Force Trial

This was a marginal case that could have gone either way, seems to me, but looks like the jury was sympathetic with the officer... I guess the "victim" needs to learn English and how to behave at a traffic stop.
    http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8861580/detail.html Dashcam Video on web site

POSTED: 4:11 pm CDT April 20, 2006
    UPDATED: 4:52 pm CDT April 20, 2006

DALLAS -- A jury Thursday delivered a verdict in the trial of a former Irving police officer accused of using excessive force during a traffic stop.

Dallas County jurors found Dan Miller not guilty of the charge.

Prosecutors said Miller unnecessarily used pepper spray and beat Jose Palomino during a traffic stop.

However, Miller's lawyers defended his actions as being consistent with police training.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-20-06 at 06:59 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm glad the officer got off, but that could have gone either way. Just from what I can see, the dude wasn't acting overtly agressive towards the officers onscene. So what's he got...verbal noncompliance? Not all intermediate weapons are created equal. Pepper spray not working? They've got two officers there, the guy is already on the ground....maybe the baton wasn't the most intelligent choice. At least TRY some empty hand control. Just MHO, but Language barriers are definitely something to keep in mind when dealing with citizens. Not saying the officer is wrong, but personally I like to reserve stick time for those truly deserving of it. :thumbs:

Again, not saying the force was excessive, and I believe the acquittal was the correct court finding, BUT I think this guy needs some more training in his force paradigm.
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 04-20-06 at 09:46 PM.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic
    Not all intermediate weapons are created equal. Pepper spray not working? They've got two officers there, the guy is already on the ground....maybe the baton wasn't the most intelligent choice. At least TRY some empty hand control. Just MHO, but Language barriers are definitely something to keep in mind when dealing with citizens. Not saying the officer is wrong, but personally I like to reserve stick time for those truly deserving of it.
    Again, not saying the force was excessive, and I believe the acquittal was the correct court finding, BUT I think this guy needs some more training in his force paradigm.
    Well said, I agree 100%. I haven't carried a baton since 2001; the public perception of officers deploying it is not good. I have basically handicapped myself and eliminated one of my options; I really have come to trust O.C. and empty hand control tactics. The only opportunity I really saw to deploy the ASP, turned to a potential deadly force situation in seconds.

Those who aggressively resist deserve the stick; I watched an officer use a bad baton technique once. If John Q Public had been there, I'm sure there would have been a case. I have found that if you encounter resistance and have to get physical, your words can save you or doom you.

As long as you keep shouting "sir, please stop resisting" you can beat the crap out of someone. If your initial orders are "sir, if you do not comply with my directions, I cannot gurantee your safety", instead of "do what I say or I'll kick your ass" most bystanders will see things from your point of view. The first "motherfu%*#r" out of your mouth during resistance, you can be viewed as the bad guy. I quote from a witness statement from a use of force report: "The short cop kept begging the guy to stop resisting and Kevin kept yelling F-you, you're going to have to kill me". "It took three of them to get him down, he was going crazy".
    Last edited by slamdunc; 04-21-06 at 05:22 AM.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

Thread Information