Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Talking Scientists discover new self-cloning virgin birthed lizard species at Vietnamese lunch buffet

A Vietnamese reptile scientist who came across tanks full of the remarkably similar looking reptiles at small diners in rural villages in Ba Ria-Vung Tau province became intrigued when he noticed that all of the lizards appeared to be female. So the scientist, Ngo Van Tri of the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology, contacted an American colleague about what he was seeing. His friend -- a herpetologist at La Sierra University in Riverside, California -- immediately dropped everything to come out to assess the find.
    Dr. Lee Grismer and his son, Jesse Grismer, a doctoral candidate, flew all the way to Hanoi and then faced a grueling two-day motorcycle trip out to a restaurant where the owner promised to set aside a stash of the creatures for study.
    But there was a little problem, says Grismer.
    "Unfortunately, the owner wound up getting drunk, and grilled them all up for his patrons... so when we got there, there was nothing left."
    Faced with an empty tank and nearly dashed hopes, the men asked around at other cafes in the area for the local delicacy, and hired children to track down as many of the lizards as they could find.
    The team soon had more than 60, and realized they had something special on their hands: a previously undocumented species.
    "It's an entirely new lineage of life that was being eaten and sold in restaurants for food," says Grismer. "But it's something that scientists have missed for hundreds of years."
    DNA sampling on the tiny reptiles brought another surprise: all of the lizards were female, and clones of their mothers.
    It's a rare trait, but not unheard of. Some species of lizards and fish can adapt to parthenogenesis, or self-fertilization, especially when faced with adverse environments, pollution or over-hunting.

More here: Scientists discover unknown lizard species at lunch buffet - CNN.com

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    "Unfortunately, the owner wound up getting drunk, and grilled them all up for his patrons... so when we got there, there was nothing left."
    That just strikes me as funny.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Looks like this lizard took the admonition to go "f--k youself" liiterally.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Great... now the debate is not longer weather the chicken you are eating is really cat... Thanks Jenna.. Thanks!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The link has pics of about 10 of them fried on a plate. Suddenly dinner doesn't sound so appealing anymore.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    The link has pics of about 10 of them fried on a plate. Suddenly dinner doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

Jimmy Dean lizard links.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    How sad they must have been, dying with their identical twin sisters, mothers, and daughters. At least they were together in their final moments.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    How sad they must have been, dying with their identical twin sisters, mothers, and daughters. At least they were together in their final moments.
    Jen, you are one sick puppy - - - errrrr - - - sheep.

Good thing about reading this is it WILL help my diet. I think I'm losing weight already. (And the desire to eat - - - ANYTHING!)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I think I'll order from the menu next time

Oh come on - I'm gone for 4 months and it still says that I must spread reps around before giving any to Jenna again. LOL.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information