Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Feds: Somali-born teen plotted car-bomb attack in Oregon's biggest city

PORTLAND, Ore. - Undercover agents in a sting operation stopped a Somali-born teenager from blowing up a van full of explosives at a crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony in downtown Portland, federal authorities said.

The bomb was a dud supplied by the agents and the public was never in danger, authorities said.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, 19, was arrested at 5:40 p.m. Friday just after he dialed a cell phone that he thought would set off the blast but instead brought federal agents and police swooping down on him.

Yelling "Allahu Akbar!" Arabic for "God is great!" Mohamud tried to kick agents and police after he was taken into custody, according to prosecutors.

"The threat was very real," said Arthur Balizan, special agent in charge of the FBI in Oregon. "Our investigation shows that Mohamud was absolutely committed to carrying out an attack on a very grand scale,"

The FBI affidavit that outlined the investigation alleges that Mohamud planned the attack for months, at one point mailing bomb components to FBI operatives, whom he believed were assembling the device.

It said Mohamud was warned several times about the seriousness of his plan, that women and children could be killed, and that he could back out, but he told agents: "Since I was 15 I thought about all this;" and "It's gonna be a fireworks show ... a spectacular show."

Feds: Somali-born teen plotted car-bomb attack in Oregon's biggest city | StarTribune.com

Around 4 years of desire, plot, and plan. A successful attack is just a matter of time and patience.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    One of several Somali-born naturalized U.S. citizens arrested in the US and in Europe for taking part in terrorism plots in the past year.

I wonder if they even get a BG check, and if they do, is it just a cursory arrest check, or does it involve talking to family and friends in Somalia about a range of topics like beliefs, temperament, radical political activities, etc - Just like a decent BG would involve here in the US for anyone trying to get a sensitive job.

Well, I think it's time we raised the bar exceptionally high on immigrants from any country known to be a source of multiple terrorists (including on those already naturalized). And if they've ever expressed sympathy for any terrorist cause, we should blacklist them forever. We are under no obligation to give them the benefit of the doubt.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    One of several Somali-born naturalized U.S. citizens arrested in the US and in Europe for taking part in terrorism plots in the past year.

I wonder if they even get a BG check, and if they do, is it just a cursory arrest check, or does it involve talking to family and friends in Somalia about a range of topics like beliefs, temperament, radical political activities, etc - Just like a decent BG would involve here in the US for anyone trying to get a sensitive job.

Well, I think it's time we raised the bar exceptionally high on immigrants from any country known to be a source of multiple terrorists (including on those already naturalized). And if they've ever expressed sympathy for any terrorist cause, we should blacklist them forever. We are under no obligation to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    well put

I will buy you lunch at Poncho's.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Thread Information