Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What should happen to this girl?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing - It was an honest mistake and the school board needs to recognize that

18 78.26%
  • She should be discipline - but it should only be a short suspension

4 17.39%
  • She should be given the full 1 yr expulsion

0 0%
  • Other

1 4.35%
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Honor Roll student suspended for having hunting rifle in her trunk

On the morning of Dec.1, Demari DeReu drove to Columbia Falls High School in Montana and parked her blue-green Honda Accord in the lot, just as she does every morning. The 16-year-old honor roll student, class treasurer and varsity cheerleader walked in to school, forgetting entirely about the unloaded hunting rifle locked in the trunk of her car.
    Later that day, there was an announcement telling students contraband sniffing dogs were scouting the parking lot, sparking her memory. She immediately told administrators that she’d forgotten to remove her scoped hunting rifle from the trunk following a Thanksgiving family hunting excursion.
    She was suspended from school for violating federal and state gun laws.

Read more: Montana Honor Student Faces Expulsion for Leaving Hunting Rifle in Car While at School - FoxNews.com

What's your take on this?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Typical kneejerk response...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is what happens when you don't take every case by a case by case basis........typical reaction from our society that has lost how to actually sit down and reason on each case on it's own merit. It's been going down hill for many years know and it's not going to get any better..............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I'm unsure how you could forget about the location of a hunting rifle

Does anyone know what the situation with storage of rifles and other large weapons in the state where this occured? (are they supposed to be locked into a cabinet in a suitable building when not in use or can they just be left loose in a motor vehicle where they could easily be stolen etc).
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post

Does anyone know what the situation with storage of rifles and other large weapons in the state where this occured? (are they supposed to be locked into a cabinet in a suitable building when not in use or can they just be left loose in a motor vehicle where they could easily be stolen etc).

Real easy. When you look at guns as tools and not evil weapons of destruction used by the anti-Christ I could see it happening. Especially during hunting seasons in my area of the country. In some colleges in south AL I knew friends that scheduled all of their classes in the morning so they could be in the woods right after lunch. Guess what they had in their cars. Then again, I had an accounting teacher in high school that carried a .38 revolover on his person. I know this is a difference in culture so please don't take my reply the wrong way.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post

This is Montana. One of the largest states in the nation, very rural and mountainous. There are less than a million people in the entire state. Hunting is a way of life out there and it shouldn't be unusual at all for someone to have a hunting rifle in their vehicle. Montana prohibits firearm possession by ANY child under the age of 14 unless they are accompanied by a parent or other "approved" adult, so the girl in this case could legally possess the rifle. Unfortunately she ran afoul of laws regarding possession on school grounds, rules that I hate when they are enforced in a "Zero Tolerance" setting.

In Minnesota, we have 2 million people just in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area and we only require that rifles are cased and unloaded (or just unloaded if it's in the enclosed trunk of a vehicle). At home, a person can be charged with a crime if their firearm was obtained by a juvenile who used it to commit a crime or suicide. This basically means get a locked gun safe. Persons under the age of 18 may not possess ANY handgun. Under 16 may not possess a rifle unless they are age 14 or older and have a Department of Natural Resources Firearms Safety Certificate.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I was having this discussion with a friend of mine at work the other day...

I grew up in a rural setting - and, as said in earlier posts in this thread, this time of year is hunting season - in the morning we'd wake up, go hunting, then come to school...

the firearm free zone laws have not changed since I was in school... just the "freak out" factor... we'd have guys with their hunting rifles/shotguns behind their seats, in the rear glass, in the trunk, where ever...

as long as that puppy stayed in the parking lot, that was a wrap...

but like I said... that was a few years before Columbine and such...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Real easy. When you look at guns as tools and not evil weapons of destruction used by the anti-Christ I could see it happening. Especially during hunting seasons in my area of the country. In some colleges in south AL I knew friends that scheduled all of their classes in the morning so they could be in the woods right after lunch. Guess what they had in their cars. Then again, I had an accounting teacher in high school that carried a .38 revolover on his person. I know this is a difference in culture so please don't take my reply the wrong way.
    Do you know where your firearms are though? and what is in the boot of your car?

It sounds like a case of her or which ever family member left it there being a bit slack with there firearm safety.
    How much would a weapon of this type cost? (I wouldn't leave a digital camera, laptop, sat nav etc in my car through fear of it geting stolen).
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I know that this was 35-40 years ago, before all the active shooters and increased auto burglaries, but I went to a rural school, 1-12, and there were rifles clearly visible in gun racks of most of the students trucks parked in the parking lot. I routinely carried guns in my vehicle from age 15 up, and never had a problem. I can also completely understand the oversight on the part of the kid or parents.

Times change.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Yep, she'd have been fine in Virginia.

The most that should have happened here was a token punishment. She turned herself in, the gun was unloaded and secured... I can understand that she broke the rules and needs to be punished -- but given the totality of the circumstances, the punishment should be pretty light.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Personally I know where every firearm I own is located yes. Under the cirmcumstances in the story, unloaded and in the trunk would be a safe place in my opinion. It would be legal in my state as well outside of the school zone. Granted my state laws only apply to handguns concealed in a vehicle. If that was a handgun it would be good. The only thing making this an issue is the school zone. Given the circumstances I would not make an issue of this as an LEO. I would tell them to take the gun home. If the school gave the student any static I would tell them they were following a lawful order. As far as the cost goes it varies greatly. My family bought me my first deer rifle (scoped lever action .243) for $225. As far as leaving items in a vehicle the trunk is the safest place for guns, laptops or cameras. Out of sight and no windows.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think she learned a lesson about keeping track of her guns that will endure.

The shortest possible suspension of one day would satisfy the legal requirement for her "expulsion."

Notice she wasn't charged with any crime.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    I think everything should be a case by case basis. Like others said, a typical knee jerk reaction.

I went to school on Eielson AFB and we knew that our cars could be searched just going through the gate to get on base. Several kids got expelled for drugs and probably affected their parents careers.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I think a light punishment should be dished out, soley on the irresponsibility of forgetting you have a gun in the vehicle. It's irresponsible, no other way about it. You should know where you're firearms are at, at all times. I have quite a few, and I can tell you where I have every one of them at, at all times. And I keep them in different places through out my house and vehicle.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So it looks like the school board hasn't ruled yet. It's clear that per Federal law, some action is needed. I agree with most here that says this is an oversight, and some light discipline should be involved. Maybe a one-day suspension. But to ruin a good kid's future with a lengthy expulsion, plowing her off the Honor Roll, having her lose her good-standing in a varsity sport, etc., that would seem a bit overboard. Is that the message we want to convey? Work hard, study, have ambitions for life, but make one bone-headed mistake (that she admitted to before even being confronted about, no less), and we'll ruin your life? Has anyone honestly heard of someone serving a year-long expulsion and still staying on track to go to a competitive university? These laws were originally enacted with the hopes of protecting our children's future (you would think), yet they are used all the time to spoil a good kid's rising star. Ridiculous.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thirdwatch is offline Guardian between peace and peril
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    This is a C'mon Man! moment, The girl makes an honest mistake and she informs school admin about her rifle in her trunk. She has clean track record and a role model student and somebody strikes the hammer of Thor on her giving her a suspension. C'mon Man![IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Thirdwatch; 12-29-10 at 01:49 PM. Reason: image code

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I didn't vote. I couldn't find the "Complete BS" option.

I went to high school from 98-01. Right during Columbine and the other school shootings. Hell, one of the first nationally televised school shootings happened a middle school 10 miles away from where I went to school (Google the John Gillette shooting) in 1998. And common sense still reigned in my little rural town high school. Hunting rifles in trucks and cars during hunting season were the norm rather than the exception.

In rural Montana, during hunting season, common sense should be applied. Maybe if it weren't hunting season, questions should be asked, but come on.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Thread Information