Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

DUI Checkpoints or Roving Patrols?

With many police departments targeting drunken drivers during the holiday season, a restaurant trade association has called for an end to sobriety checkpoints.

Calling the checkpoints "ineffective" because they result in, on average, about three DUI arrests out of every 1,000 drivers stopped, the American Beverage Institute is urging law enforcement officials to employ only roving patrols, in which police cruise the streets looking for erratic drivers.
    Beverage trade group calls for end to police DUI checkpoints | NJ.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My agency gets the same grants, and I have participated in roving patrols and checkpoints, and will continue to do so. Drunk drivers are taken off the roads along with citations for no driver's licenses, suspended and revoked driver's licensees, no insurance and other violations that make the roads safer for all drivers. Law Enforcement is concerned with safety for everyone on the roads and the restaurant trade association is concerned with sales. Next.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Not an issue for me.

DUI checkpoints are illegal here.

Even if they don't rope a lot of drunks, they still are effective in getting DAS, DAR drivers, no insurance, etc off of the roads.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm of mixed feelings here. I haven't really looked into the legal issues that surround them, but I know that in the agencies I've worked in, along with all around Colorado, it seems we're required to give drivers an out. I.e. signage prior to the checkpoints that say "Checkpoint ahead", and other such nonsense, and require that there be avenues of avoidance prior to the checkpoint. In addition, it seems like every agency does press releases that advertise where and what time the checks will be. You'll hear warnings from radio DJs on every station, warning commuters about the publicized checkpoints, etc.

Because of that, I much prefer saturation patrols. Every agency in a particular area participates and sends cops on the Fed's generous dime. We pair up in two man cars, and work a grid that encompasses several jurisdictions. Last one I worked we had 25 two man cars on a mutual aid patched channel, working a grid about 50 blocks by 120 blocks wide. It didn't encompass every city in the county by any means, but it got a pretty good chunk of a couple of them, and it touched the corners of a couple more that we could work. Every car could work county wide, covered by an mutual aid agreement, but we were just instructed to emphasize the patrol area. We had a command post, a processing van, mobile Intox van, transport vans to jail and detox, etc. It was a great time...you got to work in new areas, didn't need a cover car usually, and it made for a fun night. We weren't subject to the radio, and could concentrate on actively finding drunks, even on the common backroads and side streets they would take to avoid apprehension. The word was also put out to beat cops in every city our patrol area touched...if you have a deuce, have your dispatcher request a saturation car on the patch channel, and we'll come take it. Since we were two-man cars, the beat unit could clear and we would handle everything. Consequently, those cops that normally hate DUIs and avoid them didn't shy away from them and were actively looking for em. We roped in WAY more DUI's, DUR/DUS citations, etc. with this method rather than with a stationary checkpoint.

Maybe if we didn't have so many restrictions on checkpoints, I would feel differenty.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I look at them as a tool. A neighboring county uses them (we use them from time to time), and they have unmarked cars that cruise the areas with the bars in the area of the checkpoint. Even though they only nab a drunk or two at the check point, they see more taxi-cabs and multiple people leaving in single cars (possible DD), than on a regular night. I see it more as a "psychological tool" than anything else. And if that works to keeps some drunks off the road for the night, all for it.

At our agency, our DUI guys (me and several others) are also apart of the Traffic Homicide Unit. So we do roaming patrols for DUI's, plus fatality accidents. But, patrol knows we are out working, we don't respond to radio calls unless it's a crash, and patrol will look for drunks for us. They get one, and ask the dispatcher to call for a traffic unit. We respond, and take it all over from them. Patrol loves it. They chase them for us, find them, and we take it from there. Makes getting a 100 for the year, easier.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    it seems we're required to give drivers an out. I.e. signage prior to the checkpoints that say "Checkpoint ahead", and other such nonsense, and require that there be avenues of avoidance prior to the checkpoint. In addition, it seems like every agency does press releases that advertise where and what time the checks will be. You'll hear warnings from radio DJs on every station, warning commuters about the publicized checkpoints, etc.
    Anyone who still goes through the checkpoint as a DUI after all those warnings must be very intoxicated indeed....

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I won't tell the beverage trade group how to make drinks if they don't tell me how to do my job.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We're not allowed to set up checks and carrry our random breath tests.

However "Road safety" checks are quite legal.

Fill in the blanks yourself.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anything that legally gets a drunk driver off the road is fine. Most everyone here knows DWI's are a sticky point for me. It never ceases to amaze that it's a sporting event to drink and drive in Louisiana until someone is killed. Then it's ok to put that news on the 0530hrs news broadcast, but only once. However, if a high profile person or family member is killed it's balls to the wall.
    After about 18 years in law enforcement I am still not DWI certified. Never have been and probably will not ever be. I've asked several times to go but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet. I think the powers that be know the people locked up for DWI would be of such epic proportion there would not be enough political favors to go around. Therefore I have to be effective in locking people up on open container violations usually on Friday night after the judges are gone for the weekend. The jailers have grown to hate that.
    CB pointed something out to me yesterday I think I will post in a seperate thread. As much as I bad mouth Louisiana for it's lack luster of prosecution I know we are not the only state that is in such condition. Politics are everywhere.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    We do checkpoints, but rarely. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to make a legal checkpoint here. You even have to post your intent in a prominent location such as the door of the courthouse.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information