Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    This is horrible, regardless of anyone's political persuasion. My prayers go out to her family.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    BBC :-

BBC News - US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

Terrible news for those involved.

No mention of who is responsible as yet.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

213th is online now Solipsist

judge+4 dead, 19 shot

Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    BBC :-

BBC News - US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona

Terrible news for those involved.

No mention of who is responsible as yet.
    shooter is in custody.

Rep. Giffords in Intensive Care After Being Shot in the Head at Public Event - FoxNews.com
    Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is in an intensive care unit following surgery for a gunshot wound in the head at close range, the University of Arizona Medical Center announced Saturday afternoon.
    Dr. Peter Rhee, a surgeon and chief of the trauma, critical care and emergency surgery, said he is optimistic about the congresswoman's recovery.
    However, Federal District Judge John M. Roll was shot and killed during the town-hall style event outside a Safeway grocery store in Tucson.
    At least 19 people were shot at Giffords' "Congress on Your Corner" event, including three members of the Democratic congresswoman's staff in Arizona. Five have died, including one of Giffords' aides, and nine are in critical condition at the University of Arizona Medical Center.
    State Sen. Linda Lopez, a close friend of Giffords', told Fox News that the three-term congresswoman was shot in the temple and the bullet exited through her forehead. Lopez said Giffords was responding to commands and she was confident that she will survive surgery but is not sure what Giffords' long term prognosis is.

Fox News confirmed that a 22-year-old white male named Jared Loughner was taken into custody as the alleged shooter. Police reportedly had also arrested a second suspect
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

So horrible. They said the nine year old girl killed had recently been elected to student council at school and was interested in govt. Thats why she wanted to be there. Makes you sick to think about.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hope Representative Giffords and others who were wounded make a full recovery. May those who were murdered rest in peace.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Hideous , cowardly act. Prayers for full and speedy recoveries for the injured.
    May the dead rest in peace.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class
    Tragic.

I hope this guy doesn't get off on any "insane" plea. He is a fucking multi-murder and deserves to get locked in a cell and never get any food until he dies.

A bullet is too good for him (unless its to his knee caps), a needle in the arm is definitely too good. I vote drowning, cremated while alive, or maybe if he begs for mercy just old fashioned hanging.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm going to avoid watching any more coverage until real investigators sort out the what and whys.

Listening to these assholes blame everything on conservatives is pissing me off.

That Sheriff needs to spend more time on solving the frigging crime than making political speeches. It has to be the first time I have ever been glad the FBI is there.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    US Shooting In Tucson, Arizona: Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Following Simple Commands | World News | Sky News

US investigators say they have found a document in a safe in the home of gunman Jared Loughner stating "I planned ahead" and "My assassination" and the name "Giffords" along with what appears to be Loughner's signature.
    Gabrielle Giffords remains in a critical condition in intensive care after the attack, which left six people dead.
    Loughner has been charged with attempting to kill a member of Congress, two counts of murder in the first degree and two counts of suspected murder.
    More charges are likely to follow.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Sheepdogs in their midst

Kudos for this guy.

Meet Daniel Hernandez, the intern who likely saved Gabrielle Giffords’ life - Yahoo! News

Daniel Hernandez had only been Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' intern for five days, and on Saturday, he may have saved her life.

The University of Arizona junior was standing 30 feet away from the Democratic congresswoman when she was shot in the head at a meet-and-greet event in her district, and he immediately rushed to her side. As everyone on hand waited for emergency medical support to arrive, Hernandez held Giffords's head in his lap and applied pressure to her wound.

At the same time, Hernandez advised others on providing help for the other 20 others injured and killed in the attack—and that quick thinking has led many to label him a hero in Saturday's horrific event.

"When I heard gunshots, my first instinct was to head toward the congresswoman to make sure that she was okay," Hernandez said in an interview with ABC's Christine Amanpour Sunday. "Once I saw that she was down, and there were more than one victim, I went ahead and started doing the limited triage that I could with what I had."

Hernandez, who is 20, told ABC that he simply "shut off all emotion." "I knew I wouldn't be good to anyone if I had a breakdown," he recalled. He noted that he went to help because he had "limited experience in triage and training."

He lifted up Giffords' head, because he feared she might choke on her own blood, and used smocks from the grocery store's meat department as a makeshift bandages for her and other victims.

Giffords, he says, was alert, but couldn't talk.

"'Just grab my hand to let me know that you're okay,'" he recalls telling the injured lawmaker.

According to Hernandez, she squeezed his hand, and he didn't let go, riding with her in the ambulance to the hospital, where she was rushed into emergency surgery.

"It was probably not the best idea to run toward the gunshots," he told the Arizona Republic. "But people needed help."

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "It was probably not the best idea to run toward the gunshots," he told the Arizona Republic. "But people needed help."
    We know the feeling young man. Good job.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information