Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Giffords shooting sparks gun law debate

And we're off!

Yesterday's shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and 19 other people at a Tucson public event is sparking a heated debate over gun control, as information emerges about how the suspect in the attack obtained a weapon.
    The suspect, Jared Loughner, purchased his 9mm handgun legally at a sport store about a month before the shooting, the Washington Post has reported. That has some suggesting that the state's gun laws -- among the most lenient in the country -- are in part to blame for the shooting, which killed six people, including a federal judge and a 9-year-old child, while injuring 14.
    "Gun laws have to be examined," Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.), the chair of Congress's Progressive Caucus, said on NBC's "Meet the Press" this morning.
    Earlier this year, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed a bill that made Arizona became only the third state -- after Alaska and Vermont -- to make it legal to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Brewer's predecessor as governor, Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, had vetoed similar efforts in the past. Since taking office in 2009, Brewer has also signed a bill allowing loaded guns in bars and restaurants, and another bill that prohibits property owners from banning guns from parking areas, as long as the weapons are kept locked in vehicles.

It actually took longer than I thought.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That idiot from New York is already promising to introduce a bill Monday.

McCarthy I think her name is.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    As soon as I heard of the shooting I could see the knee jerk ideas on the way.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class
    I think all politician's have this slogan posted in their office:

"Never waste a good tragedy."

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by StoleIt View Post
    I think all politician's have this slogan posted in their office:

"Never waste a good tragedy."
    Reps.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Because someone willing to commit murder is afraid of a fine. That always makes sense.

For reasons not worth going in to I was stuck with MSNBC as a live news outlet. If I had a nickle for every time they asked "did it sound like a semi automatic?" I'd be able to buy a small Latin American country. Not even a peep about "assault weapons". That's old I guess, the memo must push semi automatic exclusively now.

As we saw last week with the Omaha school shooting there are ways to get guns even if the shooter isn't able to buy one. Can't buy, borrow or steal one? Well then, look for the next weapon. What's the body count when running a car (even a Prius) into a crowd of people in front of a store? Nah, don't answer that, those should be banned too.

Not looking forward to the political crapfest to come. Whole thing is tragic and will only get worse as vultures pick at the remains of the dead looking for fame and political points.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post

Oh,....I thought Chucky Schumer was THE iidiot from New york.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Oh,....I thought Chucky Schumer was THE iidiot from New york.

Nah, he ain't the only one. New York has more idiots per capita then the entire US combined. Unfortunately, they do leave (migrate): go
    south and pollute the rest of the nation We call them "Damn Yankees." . Some even go out west and do the same.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    McCarthy is the one who when questioned could not answer questions about the evil features on "assault weapons" that she wanted to ban.

I think it was Tucker Carlson who made her look like an idiot.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

McCarty is from long island was a nobody until her husband was shot and killed on the long island railroad many years back. After that she decided to become a politician to ban almost every gun. She's a freaking moron
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Nah, he ain't the only one. New York has more idiots per capita then the entire US combined. Unfortunately, they do leave (migrate): go
    south and pollute the rest of the nation We call them "Damn Yankees." . Some even go out west and do the same.
    That's why I finally decided to move out of ny and move to NJ .. Not much of a different. Politicians are complete morons and actually more corrupt than ny
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

creolecop is offline Really? and I'm suppose to believe that??
    Verified LEO
    From my understanding (keeping in mind it's from news sources) are saying that it's the store he bought it from that has some questions to answer because apparently he had flags that if checked as the law already requires would have informed the store clerk that he was not to possess a firearm. Sounds like someone just broke the law for a sale either through lazy negligence, or downright criminal "just didn't give a damn". Hopefully they realize more gun laws are not needed we just need to hold irresponsible store owners, clerks responsible and enforce the laws already on the books.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by creolecop View Post
    From my understanding (keeping in mind it's from news sources) are saying that it's the store he bought it from that has some questions to answer because apparently he had flags that if checked as the law already requires would have informed the store clerk that he was not to possess a firearm. Sounds like someone just broke the law for a sale either through lazy negligence, or downright criminal "just didn't give a damn". Hopefully they realize more gun laws are not needed we just need to hold irresponsible store owners, clerks responsible and enforce the laws already on the books.
    There were no flags that failed his NICS check. Rampant rumor, don't spread it.

The weapon was legally purchased, even the FBI is reporting that.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    There were no flags that failed his NICS check. Rampant rumor, don't spread it.

The weapon was legally purchased, even the FBI is reporting that.
    Even still no reason for legislature to start knee jerk reactions because someone legally with a gun nutted up and went stupid. Can't predict peoples future breakdowns. Today I went to a call where a guy had a shotgun to his throat, prior to us getting there he had his girfriend in the room basically hostage saying he wanted her to go with him, he then let her go and threatened himself, While we were staging up a cousin who was also in the home wrestled the shotgun from him. This guy had no prior criminal history or documented mental crisis. No way to predict this guy would have relationship problems and loose his marbles. Adding more gun laws does nothing and if he was a nut and wanted to kill someone if he could have easily got a gun off some street corner or some other nut that he socialized with. This nut just happen to not need one off the street, if in fact he had no NCIC flags.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Even still no reason for legislature to start knee jerk reactions because someone legally with a gun nutted up and went stupid.

You're new here, so I will clarify. I am *not* a gun control fan.

I was merely pointing out that when we repeat bad information about legal gun purchases, it gives the gun control wingnuts something to pounce on.

Members of the public read our site. It is our duty to only report that information we know to be factual.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Oh, in no way did I think that, MOST all officers I'v ever met were conservative when it comes to guns, if nothing else just to even the score for the good guys who just want to protect their families. I was just adding my opinion as to where I see it going with the gun control nuts in congress and the Senate. They will try to use this for an agenda. I was reporting what has been said in the news, NOT what I heard from other forums or scuttlebutt. If thats the case 99% of what we talk about (national news storys like this) we are not directly involved with and only rely on news coverage and have no grip on factual information or not because we are not involved in the investigation. My bad I thought major news outlets were safe to repeat up until they were proved false. Such as all the major news outlets all reporting the congresswoman was dead, some people posted on forums they were sad to hear she had been killed only to later find out she had not died would this be considered bad info to spread if it's all someone 1,000 miles away have to go on or should just not have posted anything about her dying regardless if that is what was plastered all over the news. I'm just asking to get a feel of what is allowed and what is not.

PS: It was actually the FBI as well as a congressman who was reporting to the major news outlets that she was dead. It's just a discussion about what happened and possible gun law fall out as a result. I was merely stating what was in major news outlets, I may have totally misread your tone as this is the internet and I do not yet know the various personalities in the forum, but I sure felt a bit like a finger wagging for stating something I can only find out like all other areas not involved, from the news. So I'll take it you are a bit passionate on gun control debate

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Rep McCarthy is a rabid antigun person- I expected her to start bleating. I didn't realize Rep King was a nut job also.

And Brady (D-PA) is offering a bill which makes it illegal to post symbols, statements, etc that can be "perceived" as threatening or violent in regards to Congress critters. It shouldn't be hard to figure out who he thinks the "perceivers" should be.

Then, of course, there is Clyburn from SC who thinks standards should be put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage. "Free speech is as free speech does," Clyburn told the paper. "You cannot yell 'fire' in a crowded theater and call it free speech, and some of what I hear, and is being called free speech, is worse than that." Clyburn “wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage” and “a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine, in addition to calling on elected officials and media pundits to use ‘better judgment.’” Of course, he and his kind want to be the moderators who decide what is okay- probably people like his daughter (another progressive) who works for the FCC.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So I'll take it you are a bit passionate on gun control debate
    Yes, that would be a fair statement!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Yes, that would be a fair statement!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Although I share the same views with almost everyone here, I shy away from all conversation political. That said, I may be talking WAY over my head here...

Something has really unnerved me about this. The last few days I've merely breezed over articles, and been stuck listening to local radio in my patrol car which reports Fox News on the hour. Umpteen million times the last two or three days I've heard how members of Government are now ramping up security measures, how they're trying to ensure this doesn't happen to them again, etc....

Everytime my reaction has been anger. Where in the blue fuck was this passion and attention everytime a brother or sister in blue dies?!?! My last count we're already down 5 brothers and sisters this year (6 with the Canadian LODD today) and after a day or two its old news. 19 other people were shot, and 6 DEAD and all we hear about is the Congresswoman (except for fuck-tard wackos that are going to protest the funerals). Sure, I get it, these people were victims because she was making an appearance, but WHAT THE HELL? We will hear about this for months and years to come. Ask these soap box standing shitheads what they think about Deputy Hopper's death and they'll likely scratch their heads and ask who you're talking about.

Screw. That. Shit.

/misinformed rant OFF
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information