Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Officer sues for being forced to shave in front of others.

The president-elect was coming to Baltimore and the cops had their orders.

They had to keep the crowds orderly, keep Barack Obama safe and look presentable. Officers needed to be "clean shaven."

That was a problem for Anthony L. Brown, an 18-year veteran of the Baltimore Police Department. He says he has been diagnosed with Pseudofolliculitis Barbae, a skin condition nicknamed "razor bumps" that can cause infection and scarring "as a consequence of shaving."

That didn't stop the department from enforcing orders that cops on the presidential detail be "clean-shaven," according to a $17 million lawsuit that Brown, who is now retired, filed in Baltimore Circuit Court this month. It names the city, police force and supervisors as plaintiffs.

The lawsuit alleges that Sgt. Allen Adkins and Lt. John Windle forced Brown, 51, to shave in front of his colleagues at a roll call hours before Obama arrived on Jan. 17. The suit says the supervisors "provided Brown with a yellow plastic Bic razor and a small bottle of shaving cream, and ordered Detective Brown to shave right there and then in front of everyone without the use of water and/or a mirror."

Brown, who was a member of the Warrant Apprehension Task Force, says he wasn't allowed to use the bathroom, and that the incident caused him to suffer "tremendous humiliation, embarrassment and mental anguish," as well as aggravating his skin condition resulting in "tremendous physical pain, discomfort and disfigurement."

The officer alleges that his complaints resulted in poor performance evaluations and loss of overtime opportunities. His lawsuit also alleges police officials discriminated against him because of his medical condition.

Baltimore police declined to comment, as is their practice with pending lawsuits. City Solicitor George N. Nilson also refused comment on the litigation.

The condition for which Brown suffers is common in black men, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, which describes the ailment as curved hair growing back into the skin. The group's Internet site recommends letting the beard grow and then shaving at most every other day. Even then, the site does not recommend shaving closely.

In the suit, Brown says his ailment has been known to city police throughout his career. The officer says he had never before been asked to shave until Obama came to Baltimore on Jan 17, 2009, as he made his way to Washington by train to be sworn into office.

Brown says that on Jan. 13, a sergeant ordered him to do something about his "shaving profile." The next day, Brown brought in a letter from his dermatologist, Dr. Larry H. Gaston, which stated: "In my professional opinion he should be exempted permanently from any type of shaving requirement."

Crime Scenes: Baltimore officers sues, says forced to shave - WJW
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Holy crap! Give me $17,000,000, and I'll shave my "taint" in the middle of Lambeau field!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

N2Fowl is offline Hey I'm a breast man!!!
    Verified LEO
    There's probably more to this story than what the media is letting on...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    17 milllion is absolutely crazy but I believe that he should not have been humiliated in this manner. I can't put myself in his place because I don't know all the facts, but I'm fairly sure that I would have simply refused. Now, given that, I agree with keith.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    Holy crap! Give me $17,000,000, and I'll shave my "taint" in the middle of Lambeau field!

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    Sure! As long as you do it with a straight razor...no little yellow Bic for you!!

There *has* to be more to the story than what was in the article. After a doctor's note saying he shouldn't shave and the department knowing of his condition, I can't believe they'd force him to do that. And, if he was refusing to shave, not just pull him off of the detail?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    Sure! As long as you do it with a straight razor...no little yellow Bic for you!!

And, if he was refusing to shave, why not just pull him off of the detail?

Bingo. Or put him someplace he won't be in view.

My Department doesn't have a problem hand picking who they want for details, and we've got less guys on the entire department than some of you have on a shift. You can't tell me Baltimore didn't have the option to have him sit this one out.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well if that's how it all went down, I can't blame him for suing. This conditions has come up before, and I've heard of the condition. It's recognized by many police departments.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Well if that's how it all went down, I can't blame him for suing. This conditions has come up before, and I've heard of the condition. It's recognized by many police departments.
    +1

Even in my academy class they said if you have this problem you don't have to shave. Just keep a "neat" appearance.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok sue, but 17 mil? Wow. But that's just me.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Why doesn't the president like beards ?

Surely a neatly trimmed beard would look better than making a man with a skin condition shave with a substandard razor.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Is it just me, or is the type of mentality that sues for $17mil over something like this the same mentality that drama queens have? Is it possible that his poor evaluations were actually due to his attitude? I've been in "tremendous physical pain" before, and razor bumps don't even make my top 10. Not even the top 50.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information