Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Animal cruelty investigation sparked by PTSD claim from worker who shot 100 sled dogs in front of other dogs

The "execution-style" mass cull of 100 sled dogs owned by Whistler-based Outdoor Adventures has sparked an SPCA investigation into allegations of animal cruelty, outrage from animal welfare groups and suspension by Tourism Whistler of reservations for dog sledding excursions by the company.
    The cull came to light because of a successful WorkSafeBC claim for post-traumatic stress by the employee who killed the dogs over two days last April.
    The worker said he suffered panic attacks and nightmares because of the grisly scenes that unfolded as he carried out the company's orders to kill 100 of its 300 dogs because of a slow winter season.
    Many were killed in mass shootings, carried out in front of each other, that caused the dogs to panic and attack him.
    "By the end he was covered in blood," according to the review board's Jan. 25 decision that found he did suffer post-traumatic stress. "When he finished he cleared up the mess, filled in the mass grave and tried to bury the memories as deeply as he could."
    Five days after the final culling, he sought treatment from a clinical counsellor who indicated he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

More here:

SPCA probes 'execution' of 100 sled dogs

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sounds like being a sled dog is a lot like being a cop. Criminal charges should be pressed. As for as the employee's PTSD claim , I could see that as legit, but he should have told them to stick their job.....
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Not either for or against the claim and payout for PTSD but killing 100 dogs all because the boss says we're short some money?
    NO F'In way...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    That's messed up.

How did the claim get public?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Too bad he didn't have the nuts to tell the boss to eff himself.

Live with it, dirtbag.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Hmmm..ever heard the word "no"?? Sorry douchebag, I hope full charges are laid against you.
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Good question. The media sources don't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Sounds like being a sled dog is a lot like being a cop.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    That is awful! Why not sell them or give them to Animal Rescue, if they sold them at least they would get some money back.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

DeputyDuc is offline On a wheel
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Good question. The media sources don't say.

"The cull came to light because of a successful WorkSafeBC claim for post-traumatic stress by the employee who killed the dogs over two days last April. "

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    WTF was the guy thinking? He should be prosecuted, along with his boss for some kind of animal cruelty charge.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I hope he gets all the treatment for PTSD that he needs...............in prison.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDuc View Post
    "The cull came to light because of a successful WorkSafeBC claim for post-traumatic stress by the employee who killed the dogs over two days last April. "
    I know it's not the point of the thread, but shouldn't that be a HIPPA thing?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    I hope he gets all the treatment for PTSD that he needs...............in prison.
    Ditto, along with whoever ordered it.

Article I found on the PETA.org site:
    Dogs Killed When Dogsled Business Slows | PETA.org

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident. Mushers routinely abandon, shoot, bludgeon, or drown dogs when they become ill, don't run fast enough, or are simply unwanted. In 2005, it was revealed that the largest dogsled tour operation in the U.S., Krabloonik Kennel in Aspen, Colorado, was shooting and killing as many as 35 dogs every year. A Krabloonik employee defended the killings, saying, "This is part of the circle of life for the dog-sled dog."
    I know it's not the point of the thread, but shouldn't that be a HIPPA thing?
    I guess maby Canada doesn't have as many HIPPA-like rules. HIPPA is largely a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Sadly, this is not an isolated incident. Mushers routinely abandon, shoot, bludgeon, or drown dogs when they become ill, don't run fast enough, or are simply unwanted. In 2005, it was revealed that the largest dogsled tour operation in the U.S., Krabloonik Kennel in Aspen, Colorado, was shooting and killing as many as 35 dogs every year. A Krabloonik employee defended the killings, saying, "This is part of the circle of life for the dog-sled dog."
    I find this interesting, since Aspen Co is one of the most liberal places outside California. Surprised this didn't make the news and that place get boycotted into oblivion.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One should make a clear distinction between putting down a dog, and doing so in the fashion this guy did.

Many an old hunter has taken his old and sick dog out in the woods for a last romp.

Doing so in front of the other dogs, and needlessly, is where the cruelty happens.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    True. As usual, the reports aren't specific enough to really tell.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information