Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......

Fayetteville Firefighers Want Pay Equal To Police Officers'

Fayetteville Firefighers Want Pay Equal To Police Officers'

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Should police and firefighters get paid the same?

Fayetteville City Council members are expected to make that decision soon when they look at the city's next budget.

The City Council recently gave police officers a 9 percent raise and is considering a 6 percent raise for firefighters.

But firefighters say they want equal pay, since they find themselves in harm's way just as much as police officers.

"We need to get to where we need to be in the pay cycle," said battalion commander Steve Harrell.

Some City Council members seem sensitive to firefighters' needs and blame old administrations for the pay gap.

Councilman Keith Bates said Fayetteville firefighters are not getting paid 19 percent less than firefighters in similar cities because of "something that happened overnight."

He promises to change that.

Another councilman, however, Paul Williams, disagrees, saying police are more important than firefighters and deserve more money.

Williams said he also believes fire departments should be staffed by volunteers, not paid city employees.

"It won’t just stop with firefighters," he said. "What about sanitation workers? If we’re going to pay the (firefighters) the same as police, then we got to pay everybody the same."

Across North Carolina, firefighters usually do not earn as much as police. For example, in Raleigh, police officers have starting annual salaries of about $31,500; firefighters, a little more than $30,000. In Durham, police start at $30,000 a year; firefighters star at $27,300 a year.

Fayetteville has the largest gap. Soon, with the pay raise, police will have annual starting salaries of $32,500. Currently, firefighters earn less than $27,000. Even when firefighters get the 6 percent raise, they will earn less than firefighters in similar-sized cities.

Fayetteville's fire chief is not publicly taking sides on the issue. He is referring all questions and comments to the city manager's office.

http://www.wral.com/news/8995565/detail.html

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    Staffing with volunteers? If it is already busy enough to require paid guys then perhaps going backwards isnt the best bet. A day-time paid company with volunteers(who are more likely to be home) would be better. Our department is already feeling the struggle with being a solely volunteer department, mostly younger(less-experienced) guys like myself from the local college making the daytime runs while the experienced guys are at work. It takes about five minutes to roll the first engine.

Pay should be equal for public safety, comparing sanitation workers to a police/fire job is silly. The neighboring cities pay their police and fire the same, no reason not to, sounds like the councilman is making some weak threats "oh you want more, how about we just can you instead?" Putting dollar signs before public safety.
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    amen

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty
    Firefighters are exposed to danger far less than police and the police have far more responsibility than firefighters, IMO. In the private sector, responsibility is a major factor in determining wages.

It's not like it's $10K a year, it's around 1K. Not a lot of difference.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Here in ST. Louis the average firefighter makes between $80,000-$100,000 and that is no joke! While us cops make about half of that. It makes me mad!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Wise_undergrad_08 is offline Master Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by danninator
    Staffing with volunteers? If it is already busy enough to require paid guys then perhaps going backwards isnt the best bet. A day-time paid company with volunteers(who are more likely to be home) would be better. Our department is already feeling the struggle with being a solely volunteer department, mostly younger(less-experienced) guys like myself from the local college making the daytime runs while the experienced guys are at work. It takes about five minutes to roll the first engine.

Pay should be equal for public safety, comparing sanitation workers to a police/fire job is silly. The neighboring cities pay their police and fire the same, no reason not to, sounds like the councilman is making some weak threats "oh you want more, how about we just can you instead?" Putting dollar signs before public safety.

+1.
    "A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society."

-Thomas Jefferson, 1792

Cotton candy don't get wet until it's in your mouth.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Hmmm. I find it kinda alien that police have such animosity towards firefighters. We get along great here.

One night I was arresting a drunk in front of a bar when a couple of other guys jumped me. A firetruck that was returning to it's station stopped and all four firemen got off the truck with fireaxes. I can tell you, that will clear a scene pretty damn fast!

A lot of cops working days and swing shifts hang out at fire stations to do their reports, make calls, etc. It's never happened to me, but several guys I know have told me about off duty FF's helping them out.

They make a little less than we do, but with the 24-48 shift, for a lot of them, being a FF is their second job. Many own their own businesses. One guy is an iron worker, he bends iron when he's not on duty. They have no restrictions on their off duty employment and we have a lot!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    Agreed with RDS, 6 guys out of my 45 man fire company are cops. I get along great with the paid and vollies where I work as the Po we always look out for each other, no need to have animosity.

As far as the danger goes... eh could go either way. Been in any fires lately?
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Lots of officers here hang out at the fire stations to pass time. Of course, not when the supervisor is cruising around.

And I for one know I wouldn't want to be responsible for saving someone's life who has an illness or injury and I have to remember every bit of medical training they do. CPR and gunshot wound first aid was enough for me!

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    DC might be unique because F/EMS is so busy, but engines here are constantly responding to EMS calls and it's not unusual for them to be on scene 20+ minutes before an ambulance arrives, and sometimes longer.

I agree with danninator that pay should be equal across the board for public safety.
    Last edited by Andrewtx; 04-27-06 at 03:11 PM.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian

And I for one know I wouldn't want to be responsible for saving someone's life who has an illness or injury and I have to remember every bit of medical training they do. CPR and gunshot wound first aid was enough for me!
    I wouldn't mind that, if you think you're gonna get me on the roof of a burning building, there's gonna be one hell of a fist fight!

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Good point... I don't do heights or enclosed spaces either

Cheech Guest
    Firefighters Are Failed Police Applicants

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 06AccordLX
    Dude that's messed up lol.

Although there was a firefighter in my academy class who quit in the second week to go back to the fire department.

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Dude that's messed up lol.

Although there was a firefighter in my academy class who quit in the second week to go back to the fire department.
    My point

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    I get to be in thier area tue. to thur. of next week. I get to play at Ft Bragg. I'm a happy boy. I know it has nothing to do with the story,but I get to see my Nephews just back from the two sand boxes.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    As I was telling Brad the other day Firemen and Police are a crazy breed here is why.

A fireman runs into a burning building when even the police are running away from the fire.

A Police Officer runs into a gun fight when the rest of society is running scared. And the fireman and EMS will not show up till the bullets stop flying and the all clear sign is given.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 06AccordLX
    The FF test here is a lot harder than the police test, both the written and physical agility.

Our test is only intelligence and aptitude. The fire test actually asked question about fires. You have to take some classes to prepare for it. And their physical agility test is a bitch. My police agility test was a lot harder than the one today because they had to soften it to get women on. But even back then the fire test was tougher. I could wear PT shorts and such doing mine, they still have to do theirs in full turnouts with SCBA packs on their back.

No, I wouldn't say that was true. Not any cops I know what to be firemen and vice versa.

FishTail Guest
    According to the gov't, it's much more dangerous being a fireman in the UK than being a cop.

Personally, I wouldn't do their job for double the money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information