Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

GOP looks to strip unions of collective bargaining

COLUMBUS -- Ohio's unions saw this coming.
    The Republican-led Ohio Senate -- with strong support from new Republican Gov. John Kasich -- detailed Wednesday how they plan to overhaul the state's collective bargaining laws to weaken what they see as costly union clout.
    Economic times are too hard, and the stakes too high, for Ohio taxpayers to continue to do business as usual, according to Senate leaders.
    But union leaders who jammed the Statehouse cried foul, charging that the GOP agenda is to weaken decades of protection for organized government employees, a move they say would hurt middle-class communities.
    Senate Bill 5 would:
    Wipe out, or severely limit, collective bargaining for all state workers -- including unionized faculty and staff at Ohio colleges and community colleges.
    Ban public employee strikes.
    Weaken binding arbitration for police and firefighters, who cannot strike.
    Limit a local union's right to bargain for health insurance.
    Eliminate automatic pay increases for public employees.
    Strip teachers of the right to pick their classes or schools.
    To help state and local governments, Senate President Tom Niehaus argues new limits must be placed on public unions.
    But Niehaus, R-New Richmond, cautioned that by the time a final bill is agreed upon, it may not be as severe as union leaders fear.
    With an $8 billion state budget gap forecast this year, cutbacks and hardship must be shared by Ohio's union workers, according to Kasich.
    Republican leaders of the Ohio House and Senate, who must pass Kasich's first two-year budget by June 30, generally agree.
    But spokesmen for the state's largest unions say public workers already gave up $100 million in health benefits and $250 million in pay to help balance the current budget, passed in July 2009 when Ted Strickland was governor.
    Union concessions included four weeks of unpaid furloughs -- 80 hours each year -- no pay raises and the loss of five personal days.
    Anticipating even tougher times in a Kasich administration, nearly all of the unions' campaign contributions went to Strickland before the Democrat's loss on Nov. 2.
    Political experts said Strickland's strong union support helped keep the election close. That's why, on Nov. 3, Kasich warned state teachers' and labor unions they should have been talking to him about their concerns.
    In fact, Kasich joked after his victory that school unions should take out full-page newspaper ads apologizing for what they said about him during the campaign.

Nearly 1,000 union members, including police, firefighters, prison guards, teachers and laborers, crowded the Statehouse atrium, hallways and four hearing rooms Wednesday to listen to details of legislation sponsored by Sen. Shannon Jones, a southwest Ohio Republican.
    Outside, dozens of protestors in yellow shirts carried signs urging legislators to vote against Jones' bill.
    Jones' bill is a starting point for "gutting" current laws protecting the rights of organized workers, according to Ohio AFL-CIO President Tim Burga.
    "This bill is a partisan assault on working families and does nothing but punish workers and hurt the middle class, plain and simple," Burga said.
    The Ohio Education Association, which represents about 130,000 teachers, professors and other school and college workers, is equally unnerved that Jones' bill could gain steam, as has anti-union legislation in a half dozen other states led by new Republican governors.
    Education Week, in its Tuesday edition, concluded: "Lawmakers in several states are challenging collective bargaining, the foundation of teacher unionism."
    In Idaho and Indiana, Republican leaders are proposing bills that would limit collective bargaining for wages and benefits, according to the national publication. Newly introduced legislation in Tennessee would eliminate teachers' rights to bargain altogether, Education Week reported.
    Ohio Civil Service Employees Association President Eddie L. Parks joined leaders of a dozen other unions to say Senate Bill 5, if passed and signed into law by Kasich, would hurt local communities while stifling job growth.
    "No economic problem was ever solved by cutting the middle class," Parks said.
    "How does cutting jobs create jobs?" asked John A. Lyall, president of Council 8 of the American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees. AFSCME Council 8 has more than 41,000 members in local unions representing city, county, hospital, and university employees along with boards of education, nonprofit workers and other public service employees.

More at the link

GOP looks to strip unions of collective bargaining | Zanesville Times Recorder | zanesvilletimesrecorder.com
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Me thinks this would be good for Ohio.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Nobody wants it to happen to them, but unions are sinking a lot of ships right now.

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Me thinks this would be good for Ohio.
    So you support what the gov is wanting to do~

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As a well compensated public employee in an at-will state, I promise the world will not end. This is a symptom of a much larger problem. There is nothing wrong with making public employees well compensated so that qualified candidates will be available to fight fires and keep society safe. High standards lead to quality people and a quality job well done. Politicians funding non-essential pet projects and other wasteful spending is the cancer here. Before you ask, the privatization of education in this country would be more cost effective and provide a better product than we are getting now. IE better educated students and a less top heavy bureaucracy.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is coming for everyone.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pharmer is offline Legal Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Before you ask, the privatization of education in this country would be more cost effective and provide a better product than we are getting now. IE better educated students and a less top heavy bureaucracy.
    +1

pharmer is offline Legal Dealer
    First WI, now OH... Hopefully next will be the AL AEA... unfortunately not likely though...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Right now there's a big Shit-blizzard in Wisconsin over collective bargaining as well. The Gov. and the Republican controlled Senate and Representatives are standing strong to do away with it. The Democrats in the Senate have all left state so they can't be forced to vote against the measure. There are big protests in Madison against the bill, and schools have been closed all week so the teachers can go to the demonstrations. A lot of people are worried what will happen if the union is disbanded. I'm a member of management, so I can't really voice my opinion, but I will say that there has been significanly less sick leave at my institution since this whole thing has started. Currently, there are no consequences for sick leave abuse, and the work rules for just about everything else are pretty weak, too. I know of more than one person that cruised to a nice retirement after 25 years when they should have been fired, yet their job was "saved" because of Union/Management collective bargaining agreements
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Milwaukee school teachers are knocking down 100K according to an article I read.

Must be a really tough working environment they need protection in.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The officers at my department are already treated poorly by the city, and we HAVE a union.

We've lost pay raises the last two negotiations, and the pay raise we got before that was 2% lower than our comparable departments. We're paid less than ALL of our comparable departments. In fact, we're paid less than an 8 deputy sheriffs department 20 minutes from us (we're at 40 officers, and our city has a higher population than their entire county.) We also pay WAY more out of pocket than our comparables, and most other departments around us for our insurance.

So, losing our unions would be a nightmare for me, and I see nothing good coming from it. In fact, I'll probably start nosing around for a new job/line of work.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nothing says they are losing their unions. Read the bill, not the press release.
    I'm your huckleberry...

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Pudge

I was on before collective bargainning and after and really didn't notice a lot of difference. Before and after collective bargainning we always tried to be fair with the City and work with them when they needed it, can we say Carter's Years. The only thing I really noticed after collective bargainning was the union trying to standardize contracts, probably easier for them to take care of. Some of the things they wanted we for departments much larger that ours.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    We are a Right to Work State. Unions is as bad a word as Sherman (as in Gen Sherman of Civil War Fame). There is talk in the State House of doing away with State Retirement altogether and going to some type of investment scheme (maybe something like a state run 401(k). Police Officers have there own retirement system (POR). We pay a bit more into lit and it is pretty much holding its own. There is also talk of putting this under this proposed scheme. This would be effective for new hires in June(?) 2012. It won't effect current retires. We have to see how it pans out.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    We are a Right to Work State. Unions is as bad a word as Sherman (as in Gen Sherman of Civil War Fame). There is talk in the State House of doing away with State Retirement altogether and going to some type of investment scheme (maybe something like a state run 401(k). Police Officers have there own retirement system (POR). We pay a bit more into lit and it is pretty much holding its own. There is also talk of putting this under this proposed scheme. This would be effective for new hires in June(?) 2012. It won't effect current retires. We have to see how it pans out.
    I really believe that police and fire need a retirement system. If youy put in 25-30 years you're pretty well used up and in your 50's and it's really hard to change careers since what we do is specialized and it's not at all like the private sector. In the private sector it's not difficult to move from one employer to another but on the same note a lot of our skills transfer very nicely into the private sector as I've found out.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dadyswat View Post
    I really believe that police and fire need a retirement system. If youy put in 25-30 years you're pretty well used up and in your 50's and it's really hard to change careers since what we do is specialized and it's not at all like the private sector. In the private sector it's not difficult to move from one employer to another but on the same note a lot of our skills transfer very nicely into the private sector as I've found out.
    Right now we have 25 year retirement (vested after 5 yrs) but can (and do) work longer. An officer that retires from one agency can go to work for another without any problems (at least for now). He would not get two retirements, but at the end, they would all be combined. In SC, you would be suprised: young rookies are 21-25 yes old and most of the older one are a) retired military or b) retired from another agency outside of SC. Trouble is that the younger one are Hot Dogs and look at as a job 1 step up from flipping burgers.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I really hope that this does not pass in Ohio. I spent a few hours reading the bill last night and I will tell you that if this passes I could be a world of hurt. This job is very political and without protection of the union they can really make your life hell here. Also with the loss of collective bargaining our City will take full advantage. I work hard for the money I earn and if this bill passes I may have to consider a new line of work and that is something I really do not want to do. I love my job but this bill could change all of that.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The GOP is bad for the working class. What the United States needs is a Labor party, like the kind they have in Western Europe. Until one emerges I hope the Democrats will step up to the plate.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The GOP is bad for the working class. What the United States needs is a Labor party, like the kind they have in Western Europe. Until one emerges I hope the Democrats will step up to the plate.
    Says you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

Jenna.....I didn't know you were a commie.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information