Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Tanker contract

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Tanker contract

Though I'm sure that some of you were in favor of Boeing getting the tanker contract, we feel like we got robbed on this one. EADS won the bid three times before, and each time the decision got dismissed by congress who made it go up for bid, again! This contract bid has been going on for several years now. It would have brought 10's of thousands of jobs to an area that truly needs it. Boeing already pretty much has the market cornered in the U.S. for commercial planes. Regardless whether or not they won the contract, they were still making planes. EADS getting this contract is not neccessarily devistating for us, but it is disappointing, to say the least.

I can not say that I was surprised at the outcome. The fact that the decision got held over the previous times for political reasons is just bullshit. EADS has the better plane for the job, but there were just too many factors against them. Hell, Boeing hasn't even built thier prototype yet. EADS has already built the final version and it is proven. I know that many people are screaming at how EADS is a foreign company. So what? Majority of the parts for the plane were going to be from the U.S. The plane itself was going to be built in the U.S. Northrop-Grumman, who was originally in the contract with EADS, is an American company. Of course that got left out during the original debates. We along the eastern Gulf Coast just feel like we really got screwed on this one.

Btw...Boeing also uses foreign parts in their planes.

And to the congresswoman from MO who said that Brookley Field (former AFB) is a farm field...do some homework first, you cow. Your state is probably the highest for meth production, and you're gonna try to slam AL???! WTF? Go tip a cow!
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm from Seattle. You've been reading some propaganda, but I can't let you spread it without a challenge. I'm also an Air Force veteran.

EADS does not, in fact, make the better plane. They make a different plane.

Boeing and EADS both outsource *some* parts, so does Chevrolet, Dodge, etc.

There are all kinds of reasons why allowing a foreign competitor of a major defense contractor access to a TDP are problematic.

This isn't about east coast vs. west coast, it's about money spent in the United States vs. some of that money leaving the United States to go into the pockets of a socialized and subsidized state run corporation.

Boeing won because they designed the plane the USAF wanted.

As for your line about Boeing not having built a prototype, I'd like you to wander down to your closest airport, where you can count 767's.

The last part that seriously offends me as a capitalist is this: Boeing already pretty much has the market cornered in the U.S. for commercial planes. Regardless whether or not they won the contract, they were still making planes.

Under which socialized government is it the responsibility of the DoD to ensure the survival of a non competitve aircraft company? Oh wait, that would be Airbus.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Ok, I'll give you that Airbus makes a different plane, not a better one. But, from my understanding, the 767 was not going to be the plane used, and that they are developing a similar plane for refueling. But it's also not like they don't contract foreign companies to make some of the things that the military uses.

If the USAF liked Boeing's so much better, then why did they choose the Airbus the previous times?

Boeing already pretty much has the market cornered in the U.S. for commercial planes. Regardless whether or not they won the contract, they were still making planes.
    I did not mean that EADS should get the contract to be fair. I meant that, there are people who work at those plants that already have jobs, so not getting the contract would not matter as much. That contract would have been a huge economic boost for this area. Though, I'm sure the same can be said for the Boeing plants.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    Ok, I'll give you that Airbus makes a different plane, not a better one. But, from my understanding, the 767 was not going to be the plane used, and that they are developing a similar plane for refueling. But it's also not like they don't contract foreign companies to make some of the things that the military uses.

If the USAF liked Boeing's so much better, then why did they choose the Airbus the previous times?

I did not mean that EADS should get the contract to be fair. I meant that, there are people who work at those plants that already have jobs, so not getting the contract would not matter as much. That contract would have been a huge economic boost for this area. Though, I'm sure the same can be said for the Boeing plants.
    They chose Boeing once, EADS once, and Boeing last.

Boeing didn't get it the first time because EADS filed a complaint about the bid process.

EADS got it second and people went nuts about financing Airbus with DoD dollars.

The KCX is going to be a 767. They already build them for Japan and Italy. They fly great.

Boeing KC-767 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 767 plant was due to close before the bid award, but that has nothing to do with where the job should go. Airbus is subsidized by the EU nations. Boeing is a company that goes out of business if their planes suck. Such is capitalism.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information