Welcome to the APBWeb.
    FishTail Guest

Police officer attacked by thief

An off-duty police officer was attacked then run over by a thief she was trying to arrest, police have said.

PC Kendra White, 38, said she was "disgusted" no-one came to her aid as she chased the thief in a supermarket car park in Stokesley, North Yorkshire.

She was left with a broken foot after being punched in the face then run over as the shoplifter sped away from the Springfield Co-op superstore.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to come forward.

PC White spotted the man stealing a vacuum cleaner from the store and shouted at him to stop, but he punched her in the face and jumped into his car.

She grabbed hold of the open door but the man reversed quickly, throwing her to the ground, then crushing her foot as the car roared away.

'Just looked'

She said: "I am absolutely disgusted that people stood and watched. He was a big man and could have really hurt me. I must have passed at least four fit and healthy looking men who just looked.

"I was in the middle of the road on a school crossing, trying to hang on to him when he punched me in the face. There was a bus or coach right next to me as he shouted and swore at me, but no one stepped in to help."

The injury means the officer, who is well known in running circles, is out of the forthcoming 37-mile Old County Tops Mountain trial in the Lakes and an Orienteering Championships.

The shoplifter was aged between 20 and 30, wearing a dark tracksuit and a light-coloured baseball cap.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said many people would have seen the incident on Wednesday, as it was around the time children were leaving school with their parents.

BBC News

1. the public don't deserve this officer.

2. don't hold onto cars.

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I can't believe no one stopped to help her out.

FishTail Guest
    That's England for you.

Christ, we prosecute anyone who tried to defend themselves in their own home. Why would someone go help out someone else on the street?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ok, I have a couple problems with this. Police work is an inherently dangerous job, we all know that. BUT....

Are we going to go into a situation when we are outgunned by ourself if we have other options, or time to get additional firepower?
    No.

Are we going to go hand to hand with a guy that's we know by apparent physical size and strength when we have intermediate weapons available to us?
    No.

I have been told for YEARS that an off duty officer is better off being a witness. That's what she should have done. If this guy was someone who could have "really hurt her" (as she said) and she had no intermediate weapons available (mace, taser, baton) why did she do anything??? She should have gotten a good physical description of the guy, and a description of his vehicle and thats IT. There was no apparent potential for a loss of life, or even bodily harm against anyone until she became involved. If she would have just been "a good witness" the guy would have ran off with a $120.00 vacuum. Instead, she decided to take on someone who she wasn't physically able to restrain, and got injured.

Granted, I never ever, ever, ever want to see a police officer injured or killed. But, this isn't something she should be blaming on witnesses. They were the ones using their heads.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified C/O
    Thats what I was thinking. No one was getting hurt or was in any danger of getting killed. Why didn't she just take down the plate number? Her life isn't worth the price of a Vacuum Cleaner.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    With that kind of situation, The officer should have pulled her service weapon and fired........Oh wait..........yeah.........Sor ry.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    With that kind of situation, The officer should have pulled her service weapon and fired........Oh wait..........yeah.........Sor ry.
    Even in the states surely you wouldn't shoot someone for stealing a vacuum cleaner?

The public will not become involved in anything except to get in the way of uniformed officers in my experience.

The other thing I rarely do now even on duty is shout at offenders it's best to nail them first then tell them your a cop avoids foot chases and being confronted with weapons. (obviously works best in plain clothes).

FishTail Guest
    Meh, I've nailed shoplifters off-duty before. But then I live somewhere where people will actually help me if I ask them to.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I've found it strange that no one where I work gets involved except to get in the way of a uniformed officer, But in plain clothes no one gets in the way or does or says anything maybe they just think i'm some nutter.

FishTail Guest
    They're probably too slow to realise that you're old bill til you're done unless you're in uniform.

It's the bizzies, leg it!

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave
    Even in the states surely you wouldn't shoot someone for stealing a vacuum cleaner?

It's not what they were stealing, It's their actions while they are resisting arrest that would allow deadly force to be used.

I'm not saying you should shoot people over vacuum cleaners, even that really sweet Dyson one, but if you are being actively assaulted and you fear for your life, that may be your only option.

I don't see the big deal that people are surprised no one came to her aid. The common perception is that the general public thinks it's our job to get hurt. We only have each other to rely on, and in most cases, you only have yourself.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I was in a foot chase a few years ago and there were two repairman standing by a truck. There was no place for the suspect to go, but through the guys. They stepped aside for him and let him pass while I was yelling for them to block him. I was so pissed, he got away and I asked the guys why they let him by. I was told, "It's not our problem." I said you wound't feel that way if he had just raped your sister! People suck!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Verified C/O

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by beans43
    I was in a foot chase a few years ago and there were two repairman standing by a truck. There was no place for the suspect to go, but through the guys. They stepped aside for him and let him pass while I was yelling for them to block him. I was so pissed, he got away and I asked the guys why they let him by. I was told, "It's not our problem." I said you wound't feel that way if he had just raped your sister! People suck!
    Wouldn't that be failure to render assistance to a Law Enforcement Officer?

Thread Information