Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: This Is Crap!!!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

This Is Crap!!!

I have sat face to face with an elected official and told him point blank that I DO NOT write citations to raise revenue for his town. Now I have to see crap like this:

South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit - FoxNews.com

Click the links for the whole damn story

South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit
    Published March 08, 2011 | FoxNews.com

advertisement
    South Carolina is considering a bill that would allow police to slap $150 tickets on motorists caught driving less than 10 mph over the limit --10 times the current minimum -- but let them skip reporting the tickets to shield low-speed offenders from higher insurance premiums.
    According to the bipartisan legislation, windfall revenues would be split between the state and the towns or cities that issue tickets.
    It's not clear how much money the proposal, which was introduced last month and is now under review in a legislative committee, would raise. South Carolina faces a $800 million-plus budget shortfall.
    But state Rep. Todd Rutherford, a Democratic co-sponsor of the bill, told FoxNews.com that the legislation isn't aimed at closing the deficit. While the local ticketing process would help divert revenues from insurance companies to the cash-strapped state, Rutherford said it's directed at providing additional protections for motorists.
    "My biggest thing is motorists should have an option and law enforcement should have an option," he said.
    Under current South Carolina law, low-level speeders are fined anywhere from $15 to $25 and all traffic tickets are required to be reported to the state Department of Motor Vehicles where points are assessed according to the law.
    Insurers say the targeted ticketing won't make much difference for motorists since they no longer determine insurance costs according to a violator's rate of speed. These days, insurers look at a wide range of factors when determining premiums.
    "Driving points do count, but they're not the immediate rate-raisers that they used to be," Alicia Jackson, operations manager for S.C. Insurance News Service, an insurance industry trade group, told FoxNews.com.
    Rutherford said that is "partially" true because premiums are determined by violations on a motorist's record, regardless of what the violation is. So not listing violations means reduced insurance rates for motorists.
    At the same time, he said he thinks most motorists would be willing to fork over $150 under the new scenario.
    "If it doesn't get reported, most people don't mind paying," he said.

Read more: South Carolina Considers Alternate Penalties for Drivers Caught Going Slightly Above Speed Limit - FoxNews.com

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sweet jeebers....
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    No problem. If enacted, nobody gets stopped/cited for less than 10 over.

But I gotta wonder what the insurance industry has to say about this idea...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    But I gotta wonder what the insurance industry has to say about this idea...
    They're probably going nuts over it.

Insurance companies are responsible for me not writing citations in 99% of the crash reports I take.

All they want to know is who in the crash received a cite, or why they didn't. When I'm on days I'm good for at least one voicemail a week from a claims agent wanting to know why I didn't cite someone....or like the last message I had, didn't know who was at fault because there was no citation listed on the report.

Sorry, different animal, but I'm not a fan of how they've worked themselves into a position where they dictate more than they should.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    The insurance companies say they don't use points anymore in figuring your rate increases, but use other factors (like asking a question-State Farm will raise your rate - been there done that). (Bull S%%%) but that's what they say. There are towns in that state that live off fines. Like those crappy towns coming out of Myrtle Beach to I-95 and one of the worst, South Congree just past the Columbia Airport. Soon you will see police cruising around in BMW's and Mercedes.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    There are towns in that state that live off fines. Like those crappy towns coming out of Myrtle Beach to I-95
    Or worse yet, if you get pulled over there they will make you have to actually spend 2 hours at Sparky's..... hahahaha
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Every department has that one jack ass that will write these.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Every department has that one jack ass that will write these.
    Yeah, but some of these towns only got 2-3 officers and the Chief rides and writes.

Thread Information