Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,376
    Rep Power
    4817858

    Attorney General trying to reduce LEO deaths

    Attorney General Eric Holder announced a Law Enforcement Safety Initiative Tuesday, calling the number of law enforcement officers killed in the United States so far this year "simply unacceptable." Holder's comments came as he met with a group of police chiefs and the heads of several federal law enforcement agencies to talk about the problem. He said the initiative will involve all U.S. attorneys around the country meeting with their local police and others to discuss the issue and to try to find solutions.
    According to data compiled by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 49 officers have been killed this year through Monday, compared with 41 for the same period last year, an increase of 20%. Holder said 23 of those officers lost their lives due to gunshot wounds, including five who worked in federal law enforcement.
    The federal law enforcement officers killed recently include Deputy U.S. Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller in West Virginia, Deputy U.S. Marshal John Perry in Missouri, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement Special Agent Jaime Zapata in Mexico.
    The attorney general said after a two-year decline, officer deaths "spiked by nearly 40 percent" with the loss of 162 officers in 2010. In 2009, 117 officers were killed.
    Holder did not offer a theory on why police and other law enforcement officers are encountering so much violence now.
    When asked if the Obama administration would call for new legislation -- possibly including a ban on extended ammunition clips like those allegedly used by suspect Jared Loughner in the January shootings in Arizona that killed six people and wounded 13 others, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- Holder said nothing is "off the table," but he said he wants to look at how existing laws are carried out first.
    In a memorandum to all U.S. attorneys, Holder asked them to look for the "worst of the worst" criminal offenders who "cycle in and out of local jails and state prisons" and see whether they might be charged with federal crimes that would carry stiffer prison sentences.
    The Justice Department already has some programs in place to combat violence against police officers, Holder said, including a program in which the federal government provides bulletproof vests to officers around the country.
    More here: Holder announces safety initiative after rise in officer deaths - CNN.com

  2. #2
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    7772240
    Here's an idea. Quit letting violent criminals out of prison to roam the streets victimizing the community.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  3. #3
    Captain America's Avatar
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    05-01-08
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,633
    Rep Power
    6624709
    Never let a good crisis go to waste at work again. It's just an excuse to enact new gun control laws that I'm sure all law abiding criminals will follow.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

    "It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

    Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

    Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

  4. #4
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,997
    Rep Power
    4007680
    Capt has it right. This will be nothing more then an attempt to get more gun control.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    “A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

  5. #5
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,802
    Rep Power
    4584773
    Thinly veiled gun control effort.

    Instead of the usual "think of the children!" saw, he is using "think of the cops!"

    What an asshole.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  6. #6
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,378
    Rep Power
    7772240
    C'mon guys, give them a chance. They can do it!

    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  7. #7
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    3999638
    It's really irritating that they use officer deaths to further their own agendas but thats what they do. Don't work on the guns, work on the people that use them illegally.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  8. #8
    bayern's Avatar
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-19-06
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    1392798
    gun control is what it is all about. He could care less how many are killed, just as long as he gets his (Obamas) agenda. Nothhing but hot air from him.

  9. #9
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,124
    Rep Power
    6563843
    Wait... You mean people who repeatedly break the law in the past aren't going to meekly drop their newly illegal guns off at the PD, and ask to be locked up because they are such a danger to society?

    Yes, we need to look at what's going on. If I recall the breakdown right now, about 25 LODD have involved gunfire. That's 10% over last year. It's too damn many. But I'm willing to bet that very few gun control laws would have influenced that number.

    About half of what's left are vehicle related. Guys -- we all know what controls that -- and who has tons of influence over many of those. Wear your seatbelts. Drive defensively. Watch out when you're on traffic stops.

    The rest are "other." They range from the couple of guys who died from complications of years old stuff to heartaches to I don't know what... Eat reasonably. Drink reasonably. Get some exercise. Use appropriate precautions like filter masks when you can.

    Because it's damn certain nothing the feds bother to do (if they have a budget to do it out of) will matter on the streets.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  10. #10
    BigDawg's Avatar
    BigDawg is offline K-9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    06-15-06
    Location
    So. Florida
    Posts
    5,312
    Rep Power
    1659729
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Wait... You mean people who repeatedly break the law in the past aren't going to meekly drop their newly illegal guns off at the PD, and ask to be locked up because they are such a danger to society?

    Yes, we need to look at what's going on. If I recall the breakdown right now, about 25 LODD have involved gunfire. That's 10% over last year. It's too damn many. But I'm willing to bet that very few gun control laws would have influenced that number.

    About half of what's left are vehicle related. Guys -- we all know what controls that -- and who has tons of influence over many of those. Wear your seatbelts. Drive defensively. Watch out when you're on traffic stops.

    The rest are "other." They range from the couple of guys who died from complications of years old stuff to heartaches to I don't know what... Eat reasonably. Drink reasonably. Get some exercise. Use appropriate precautions like filter masks when you can.

    Because it's damn certain nothing the feds bother to do (if they have a budget to do it out of) will matter on the streets.

    Cudos to you on the post, I agree 100%.

    Can someone rep him for me, it wont let me.
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper


    Some people are meant to be the police......Some people are meant to call the police!!!

    "Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it."
    -Ronald Reagan


    " I believe that forgiving them (Terrorist) is God's function. OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
    General Norman Schwartzkopf

    Not all Muslims are Terrorists, but all Terrorists are Muslim.
    (author unknown)


    The statements posted by BigDawg DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, or procedures of the author's employing agency. These statements are the personal opinions of BigDawg only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the user name of BigDawg. The opinions expressed by BigDawg are protected by the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. BigDawg’s messages are intended to invoke thought and discussion among the "Officer Resources" forum community and may not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author. BigDawg’s posts and any attachments are intended for an adult audience (18+) and may contain strong language, sexual content, nudity, violence, and may be graphic in nature. Some material may be considered offensive; reader discretion is advised. Please note that many of BigDawg’s posts are intended for entertainment value only. BigDawg’s posts are not intended to be used where prohibited by law. Furthermore, BigDawg's posts, and any attachments, may contain information covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner.

  11. #11
    countybear's Avatar
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    01-18-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,512
    Rep Power
    4611628
    An INITIATIVE! Holy shit!! That's the ticket!!

    Next they'll appoint a commission, who will conduct a study, and recommend a task force. Meanwhile, Congress will enact thousands of pages of ineffective legislation containing tens of thousands of loopholes and millions in earmarks (payable to family and trusted supporters, of course) all in support of the very front line law enforcement officers who these billious bastards refer to as "stupid" and "idiot."

    Here's a recommendation for you Eric... how about you tell your boss that as a Government, we stop namecalling and politically sniping the line police officers who are so weakly compensated to lay their lives down for your very own ungrateful asses, make the job financially viable as an option for the professionals who choose it as a career, and trust their judgment enough as professionals to aggressively prosecute, and then truthfully sentence those arrested and charged with violent offenses, especially involving the intentional use of, or reckless conduct involving a deadly weapon? How about we abolish the facade of "good-time" sentencing and releases of violent offenders on terms of less then 1/4th the time imposed on conviction of an offense, while outright lying to the American people by calling parole and probation "supervision"? How about toughening sentencing standards to allow for consecutive sentencing for multiple offenses, instead of automatically allowing concurrency? Here's an even better idea... How about returning to the prosecution functioning as an arm of the people it is intended to represent, rather than functioning under the self-serving, snobbish, elitist, politically-motivated, arrogant old boy's club mentality that is so vividly demonstrated by the actions of our very own Attorney General in his past?

    To put it bluntly, you bureaucrats and despots, how about returning justice to America? It is, in fact, J U S T I C E, not J U S T US...

    Morons.

    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

    Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

    The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

  12. #12
    Captain America's Avatar
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    05-01-08
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,633
    Rep Power
    6624709
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post

    Can someone rep him for me, it wont let me.
    Done.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

    "It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

    Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

    Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

  13. #13
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,124
    Rep Power
    6563843
    Thanks guys.

    I'm pissed at these numbers. Right now, I don't think we can say what's driving all of it -- but something is fucking going on. It ain't rooks being gunned down by inexperience, either.

    Maybe more and more of us are worn out because we're having to work two or more jobs. Or because we're having to cover for guys who should have found a different job -- but haven't due to the economy. At the rate we're going, we're going to be pushing 300 LODD for the year. With about 150 of them being gun-related. Yeah -- almost as many as last year's total. Yeah -- this is predicting and assuming the rate stays the same. SO LET'S FUCKING CHANGE THAT RATE!

    Watch out for yourself. Look out for your partners. And don't hesitate to call someone on crappy officer safety. If it hurts their feelings, tough. I damn well don't want to put that mourning band back on my badge -- or attend another LODD funeral.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  14. #14
    Captain America's Avatar
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    05-01-08
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,633
    Rep Power
    6624709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Maybe more and more of us are worn out because we're having to work two or more jobs.

    That is another good point.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

    "It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

    Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

    Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

  15. #15
    Wolven's Avatar
    Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    10-06-07
    Location
    Heaven on Earth
    Posts
    4,061
    Rep Power
    1322608
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    An INITIATIVE! Holy shit!! That's the ticket!!

    Next they'll appoint a commission, who will conduct a study, and recommend a task force. Meanwhile, Congress will enact thousands of pages of ineffective legislation containing tens of thousands of loopholes and millions in earmarks (payable to family and trusted supporters, of course) all in support of the very front line law enforcement officers who these billious bastards refer to as "stupid" and "idiot."

    Here's a recommendation for you Eric... how about you tell your boss that as a Government, we stop namecalling and politically sniping the line police officers who are so weakly compensated to lay their lives down for your very own ungrateful asses, make the job financially viable as an option for the professionals who choose it as a career, and trust their judgment enough as professionals to aggressively prosecute, and then truthfully sentence those arrested and charged with violent offenses, especially involving the intentional use of, or reckless conduct involving a deadly weapon? How about we abolish the facade of "good-time" sentencing and releases of violent offenders on terms of less then 1/4th the time imposed on conviction of an offense, while outright lying to the American people by calling parole and probation "supervision"? How about toughening sentencing standards to allow for consecutive sentencing for multiple offenses, instead of automatically allowing concurrency? Here's an even better idea... How about returning to the prosecution functioning as an arm of the people it is intended to represent, rather than functioning under the self-serving, snobbish, elitist, politically-motivated, arrogant old boy's club mentality that is so vividly demonstrated by the actions of our very own Attorney General in his past?

    To put it bluntly, you bureaucrats and despots, how about returning justice to America? It is, in fact, J U S T I C E, not J U S T US...

    Morons.
    Ding ding...we have a winner!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •