Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Air Traffic Control Failure in Washington, D.C.: What Happened?

Ironically, at the same airport where the crew aboard aircraft enforced a mandatory requirement that passengers be seated either 30 minutes before landing or thirty minutes after take-off, the Tower at Reagan National goes silent as planes attempt to land, allegedly forcing an American Airlines Boeing 737 aircraft flying in from Miami with 97 on board and a United Airlines Airbus 320 aircraft flying in from Chicago with 68 passengers and crew to land on their own. The crew of the American Airlines aircraft first attempted to abort its landing.

Air Traffic Control Failure in Washington, D.C.: What Happened? | Reuters

Yikes!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Not a good economic climate to be doing things like that, if the ATC was indeed asleep. Besides the danger to the planes, I bet he's going to need to brush up his resume'.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's the slow time (after midnight) and only a couple flights were due to land. There is only one person on duty in the tower. This happened last year too. If it was another sleep issue (any cop here knows how tough it can be on a quiet midnight shift even when you're well rested) I think they should adjust the policy to have 2 on duty in the tower. At least with company you are less likely to sleep. If you do struggle and need to get out for a walk there's someone there who can continue working. One person alone at night with little going on just seems like an invitation for people to fall asleep.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    My question is why the hell did they land?! You don't have clearance to land...YOU DON'T LAND!
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    My question is why the hell did they land?! You don't have clearance to land...YOU DON'T LAND!
    The article I read said they spoke to the regional ATC and worked out the landings with each other on the radio. It wasn't the approach that was dangerous but landing without knowing what equipment on the ground was doing. Only 2 or 3 planes landed in the half hour the tower was down.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    If he/she was nodding off, it must've been a fairly deep sleep. I've heard some of the radio traffic & it would seem to me that it was enough to rouse someone who had just zoned out. Or maybe he was "indisposed".
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Hoss View Post
    If he/she was nodding off, it must've been a fairly deep sleep. I've heard some of the radio traffic & it would seem to me that it was enough to rouse someone who had just zoned out. Or maybe he was "indisposed".
    Last year the controller left the tower and forgot his key card and locked himself out. They really need 2 people on duty there.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Last year the controller left the tower and forgot his key card and locked himself out. They really need 2 people on duty there.
    Dang, forget all the brain cramps and naps, how are you supposed to relieve yourself if you are the only one in the tower? They got a radar screen in the toilet and a remote headset?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    I would land. These airliner's carry a very finite amount of fuel.

And airplanes land all the time without ATC. The far majority of airports out there are "uncontrolled" (without a manned control tower).

First couple of times sure do low approaches or what not. But landing without ATC is no big deal. In fact, I prefer it (assuming VFR).

Thread Information