Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Police use pepper spray on second grader

LAKEWOOD - When most kids throw a temper tantrum, they get time out. In 8-year-old Aidan's case, he got pepper sprayed.

A Lakewood Police report details the second grader's violent temper tantrum in a classroom at Glennon Heights Elementary on Feb. 22.

According to the report, Aidan "was climbing the cart and spitting at teachers. He also broke wood trim off the walls and was trying to stab teachers with it."

"I wanted to make something sharp if they came out because I was so mad at them," Aidan said. "I was going to try to whack them with it."

The report goes on to say Aidan, "was holding what looked like a sharpened one foot stick and he screamed, 'Get away from me you f---ers.'"

Lakewood Police officers ordered the 8-year-old to "drop the stick." When he refused, they sprayed him with pepper spray twice until he dropped the piece of wood and was handcuffed.

According to the police report, the boy was later treated on the scene for "a red, irritated face."

Aidan's mother Mandy, whose last name 9NEWS has chosen not to disclose, believes the Lakewood Police officers should have handled the situation differently. She says police were called on her son at school twice before, and both times the officers were able to talk to her son and calm him down.

"I'm sure what he was doing wasn't right, but he's 8 years old," Mandy said. "They walked in, asked him to drop the stick, and then sprayed him with the spray... I think it's excessive."

Aidan admitted he has problems controlling his anger.

"Just kind of like whenever anybody upsets me," he said. "Like I just kind of want to tear them apart... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."
    Wow.

Police use pepper spray on second grader | 9news.com
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well...the argument can be made that he's an 8 yr old and the police officer(s) arrive he/she/they should have been able to disarm him pretty easily.

The same argument can be made that I don't want to get stabbed with a damn stick.

Sounds like the kid needs some serious help. And mom needs some parenting lessons.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Methinks mom should get to taste some "hot sauce" too.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    So, next time, the two officers that are probably each at least twice the size of the eight grader simply pull out their own sticks, and wallop him.

Maybe mom'll like that approach better.

OC was perfectly reasonable. It allowed them to subdue the kid with minimal injury and no lasting harm. Good on them. And, just maybe, the little brat'll decide that it ain't worth the price to act out so much in the future.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Sounds like he's ADHD, bi-polar, or psychotic or maybe all of the above. I've worked in special ed, and there are some very young kids with serious.

The fact that the staff felt they needed to call police (3 times!!) speaks volumes.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I can't say I have a problem with their response. Sounds like they tried verbally to deescalate and it didn't work. Kid had a weapon and refused to surrender it. At least 1 of the officers was familiar with the kid. I think it was reasonable.

Similar to a response I heard in testimony once: "No, I didn't HAVE to have 3 other officers assist me in arresting your client. I could've done it alone. But he would've had to go to the hospital before the jail because alone I would've had to hurt him."
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Hoss View Post
    Similar to a response I heard in testimony once: "No, I didn't HAVE to have 3 other officers assist me in arresting your client. I could've done it alone. But he would've had to go to the hospital before the jail because alone I would've had to hurt him."
    This.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I would have maced him also. If the officers would have gone hands on with him, mom would have been complaining that her child was manhandled. If mom wants to critique use of force , I suggest that she saves it for Junior when he is 16 and whips her ass. That is where that is headed and worse.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    When this kid's a little older, and bigger, we're going to read about how he beat his mother to death. Fine job she's doing there.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Not going to second guess the officers but I can't see me pepper spraying an 8 year old. Then again I have only used pepper spray twice in 13 years.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Should have used a taser or baton

Kids learn by experience hopefully we will learn that if you continue to be a little brat when the police arrive it might hurt.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Poor kid.

Not because he got pepper sprayed. And if he got spanked for this sort of behavior - rather, for behavior leading up to this - I wouldn't be shouting child abuse at the parent either. He's been out of control for some time now and nobody is taking control of the situation. He's seeing a doctor. Yip. Maybe they will diagnose him and medicate him into a blob now that this event got press, then claim victory. But from the, admittedly very limited, story we've been presented it's not hard to speculate that this kid will either end up meeting a lot more police in his life unless this ineffectual to date doctor sedates him into submission. Neither is a great solution, and unless he's one of the few who are so miswired they can't be saved, I again say poor kid, for the poverty of effective adult influences in his life.

Reminds me, I noticed a complete lack of any comments from the father. Just saying.

Also noticed this thread picked up a bunch of guest viewers, maybe got linked somewhere. FYI : my comments are of and by a civilian guest member and do not reflect the views of OfficerResourse/ABPweb/or any LE officer. I'm just some guy who posts the occasional thought on the interwebtubes.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    He was just on the Today show. I couldn't hear what was said but he is a pretty good-sized kid. I wouldn't want him coming at me with a sharp stick. Only parent with him was mom.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Not going to second guess the officers but I can't see me pepper spraying an 8 year old.

Imagine the damage Lew could do to you with a broken yardstick.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Shudda TAZED him.

*snicker* is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Shudda TAZED him.
    I hope you are joking. If you can't handle an 8 year old with out pepper spray or a taser you have no business being a cop. I'm sorry but this is a bit excessive. If the kid was not trying to harm himself or others with the stick then these cops need to be retrained or look for another line of work ridiculous

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    "Just kind of like whenever anybody upsets me," he said. "Like I just kind of want to tear them apart... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."

exorcism by taser?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Not going to second guess the officers but I can't see me pepper spraying an 8 year old. Then again I have only used pepper spray twice in 13 years.

....on 9 year olds.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    "I was going to try to whack them with it."

Is a "whacking" enough risk of injury to justify spraying the kid? Walk up and take the damn stick and take control of the kid. It's a kid, with a stick. If momma would've stepped up and smacked the kid's ass a few times, you guys wouldn't have to play step-daddy and put yourselves out there for the liability~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information