Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

No limits to the law in NoLa

Something terrible lies at the heart of New Orleans - a rampant, widespread and apparently uncontrollable brutality on the part of its police force and its prison service. The horrors of its criminal justice system from decades before Hurricane Katrina and up to now lie somewhere between, with little exaggeration, Candide and Stalin's Gulags.

Spit on the sidewalk here, and you may be arrested (true) - New Orleans has the highest incarceration rate of any city in the United States - and if you're poor and black and can't pay bail, you will enter a place where any protection under the American constitution and the Bill of Rights is stripped away. You will wait weeks or months to be charged, whether innocent or not, and in the meantime you will be subjected to foul, overcrowded jail conditions, prisoner-to-prisoner violence and the brutality of the deputies who guard you. God help you if you have a medical condition, or a mental-health problem, or if you're pregnant (you may deliver in leg chains - it has happened). "A minor offence in New Orleans," one civil rights attorney told me, "can get you into a hellish place."

On 17 March this year, the federal department of justice (DoJ) decided that enough was enough and it has made moves to have the New Orleans police department (NOPD) placed under the supervision of a federal judge. The New Orleans jail system will likely follow.

New Statesman - No limits to the law in NoLa
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Wow, this article floored me...I knew conditions were great but this is a bit much.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How do you hold someone without immediately charging them?

If the charging information doesn't hit the jail within 72 hours, they're released here.

Also, seriously, I can see an infraction for spitting, but an arrest?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    How do you hold someone without immediately charging them?

If the charging information doesn't hit the jail within 72 hours, they're released here.

Also, seriously, I can see an infraction for spitting, but an arrest?

It's not even 72 hours here. 99% of the time, if the charging paperwork isn't arriving with the perp, they won't take them.

The 1% comes with really violent people. We still fill out the booking paperwork with the charge, but the actual PC affidavit gets delivered as soon as it's done, and they definitely ask if an officer is working on it at the time.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh, our PC statement has to be there when they are booked.

The charging documents have to be there and they have to see a judge within 72 hours.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    NOLA - it's kinda like a blackhole around here

no one can really explain it :/
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It sounds like it needs to be steam cleaned.
    I'm your huckleberry...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Feds are trying this all over the country. It has nothing to do with "civil rights" it only has to do with putting federal control over an agency.

As far as New Orleans goes. Don't do the crime if you can't handle the time
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Holding someone without a charge is a direct constitutional violation. That's brightline case law, not "soft on crooks."

Abuse of a prisoner, if true, is a crime.

I know you wouldn't do any of those things, so why would you say that this was not a civil rights issue?
    I'm your huckleberry...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Holding someone without a charge is a direct constitutional violation. That's brightline case law, not "soft on crooks."

Abuse of a prisoner, if true, is a crime.

I know you wouldn't do any of those things, so why would you say that this was not a civil rights issue?
    In this day and age I find it hard to believe that any agency would tolerate this. I know if anyone tried that here they would be fired, arrested, and charged. Look at what we see the Feds trying to do in Seattle. Just seems like every where I look the DOJ wants to have oversite of local agencies.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    In this day and age I find it hard to believe that any agency would tolerate this. I know if anyone tried that here they would be fired, arrested, and charged. Look at what we see the Feds trying to do in Seattle. Just seems like every where I look the DOJ wants to have oversite of local agencies.
    I agree that the DOJ likes to run amok. I also agree that if it were done here cops would be fired, arrested, and charged.

I'm not sure I believe that "any agency would not tolerate this."

Even some of our very own friends here on the board say some of this stuff goes on.

This is a real black mark on all of us if it is tolerated anywhere.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Media caters to ratings. Not everthing is done as they say it is. Except for minor details an arrest in NO is pretty much the same as it is elsewhere. Upon arrival to the jail the prisoner is turned over to a jailer. Gist paperwork (Probable Cause) and charges are completed while officers are at the jail. Jailers receive the paperwork and process the inmate. A person must "appear" in front of a judge within 72 hours here as well for arraignment and bond/bail set.
    In my days of working in NO I do sometimes wish I could have show others how it was done. Sometimes not. I've never known of such things again.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I've spent a lot of time in N.O., much of it during Mardi Gras because it's such a big family thing for us. I've been in the Quarter during Mardi Gras and I've been in some much quieter areas to watch parades. I've never had any other than cordial contact with the police. I do, however, follow one simple rule - I ACT RIGHT!

I have no clue about the constitutional issues or how the charges/detention is handled.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    I do, however, follow one simple rule - I ACT RIGHT!
    That is indeed the key ingredient to a pleasant visit.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Media caters to ratings. Not everthing is done as they say it is. Except for minor details an arrest in NO is pretty much the same as it is elsewhere. Upon arrival to the jail the prisoner is turned over to a jailer. Gist paperwork (Probable Cause) and charges are completed while officers are at the jail. Jailers receive the paperwork and process the inmate. A person must "appear" in front of a judge within 72 hours here as well for arraignment and bond/bail set.
    In my days of working in NO I do sometimes wish I could have show others how it was done. Sometimes not. I've never known of such things again.
    I'm certain the media always has a slant.

If anything in that article is true, it needs to be addressed. If it isn't true, they got nothing to worry about.
    I'm your huckleberry...

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Ronal Serpas came to the WSP and left for Nashville and back to NOPD. as Chief He was known to be ruthless with line supervisors and middle management. Like the good old Navy that eats it's own : ZERO DEFECTS.

Serpas could not understand the concept of Leadership so he dug out another former lawer Chief's bag of IA tricks, and created a world massaged by statistics, micromanagment, and IA. "SAF" Strategic Advancement Forums were his dog and pony shows. Leaderhip became management and number crunching. He publicly destroyed the careers of many mid level officers. It became a joke for the brass to massage the stats to keep him off your ass.

I first and last met the man when I was a Narcotics Sgt. My boss introduced me to this guy in civvies at one of our endles staff meetings. He fired a bunch of actuarial questions as iunderstandable as Federal acronym speak, at me, I replied "I don't know what f**k you are talking about". Another Sgt said "that's the Chief" my boss mumbled an excuse and eased him off me, I could only say that with 2 months left to retire.

I agee with pgg on Federal oversight, or takeover of municipal and county departments. The present Obama administration is essentially dishonest and their behavior doesnt bring any examples of great credibility or trust to "we the people". The Fed agencies FBI and ATF need a cleanup (public accountability) before they can be trusted. I refer to beating two dead horses Waco and Ruby Ridge where Mr Eric Holder was #2 man at DOJ. Perjury by supervisors and criminal acts or inaction by supervisors on use of lethal force have been hidden. Sgt Stacy Koons of LAPD went to prison for Fed Civil Rights violation for failing to supervise his officers beating Rodney King. North Idaho and the Branch Davidians are still waiting...............Now ATF is walking "hundreds" per Wm. Hoover, of AR15 rifles across the border and line agents have gone whistleblower, and the ATF brass still lies to Congress. Then or now? NOPD has it's problems but they need to get the dirt out in the public eye. Louisianans can handle that. DOJ Federals will bring in a bunch of DC lawyers offering nothing but a different complexed way to massage the complaints and the numbers, perhaps conceal the evidence. a bit more smoothly, and select a few scapegoats.? History to some is old info, but history is human behavior too, and some of that old behavior left uncorrected can hurt you too.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information