Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Epic Flood

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Epic Flood

The Mississippi and many of its tributaries are expected to flood in the next week or so. Predictions are that this flood will be higher than the 1927 "Great Flood", with the possibility of levees breaking making the flooding worse.

"On May 18, the Mississippi River is expected to crest at a record 57.5 feet in Vicksburg. Natchez will be even harder hit, cresting on May 20 at a record 64 feet - six feet above all previous records."
    Link to local story: Corps: Extensive Mississippi flooding expected | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

Facebook page with updates: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mi...17655291651095

My area is about 40 miles from the Mississippi and about 20 miles from the Big Black so we are not expecting problems here.

Are any of you affected? If so, how are you affected? Any news stories from your area?
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    So many natural disasters these days. Hope everyone stays safe.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    We're suffering from the other end of the spectrum here; drought. Which is contributing to the wildfire danger. We've had just enough sporadic rains to keep things alive, but stock ponds are going dry & lake levels are low.

Wish we each could share; I'd let you have some of my dry for a little bit of your rain.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is awful.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Not sure if we live close enough to be effected.

Seriously, we live 5.5 blocks on the side street in the last pic from the Mighty Mississippi. We are a little concerned. There are 2 spillways that the Corp of Engineers are going to open. It's just a matter of time. Monday maybe. A lot of people are going to loose a lot. Hopefully the more populated areas will be spared.
    In the late 90's the water rose to serious levels. Where my unit is parked my right tires were on gravel and my left ones were in the river. The levee held.

Governor says Bonnet Carre Spillway will open Monday - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |
    Mayor files declaration of emergency - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |
    Deputies patrol levee and river - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |
    Angola Prison keeps very keen eye on rising waters - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Coast Guard closes stretch of Mississippi River | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

http://www.wlbt.com/global/category....autostart=true

I'm going to Yazoo City tomorrow to help move a friend's brother. He lives on a hill and they expect 8' in his house.
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, we're on the other side from Lew -

I figure if it floods, we'll load everyone in busses and ship them to New Orleans

Where they'll be safe - the bonne carre' should take care of The Crescent

Plus we owe them some love

Nah, seriously

They are taking this sucker very serious around here from what I can gather

If that river goes, it could get very scary in the capital city

I'll try to get some pictures from this side - but it'll all look the same, water to the top of the tub basically
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yup, yup.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    It has been very serious here in Southern Illinois. Multiple towns have been evacuated, levees broken resulting in entire towns lost. Photos taken showing bottles floating on the water, floating because they're attached to the street signs many feet below. I have many family members staying in shelters right now, and we're all just praying for relief for everyone affected by this flood.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsdscott View Post
    It has been very serious here in Southern Illinois. Multiple towns have been evacuated, levees broken resulting in entire towns lost. Photos taken showing bottles floating on the water, floating because they're attached to the street signs many feet below. I have many family members staying in shelters right now, and we're all just praying for relief for everyone affected by this flood.

Hang in there. Prayers sent.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hope you all stay safe.

Thread Information