Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Gang taggings from USA gangs shows up in Iraq....US soldiers ID'd as gang members

CHICAGO-- Street gangs born in Chicago are making their presence known 6,000 miles away.

The Sun-Times reports Chicago gang graffiti is showing up in Iraq, the handiwork of gang members now in the military.

Army Reservist Jeffrey Stolesonhas taken hundreds of pictures of gang graffiti in Iraq.

A Defense Department official says he's identified 320 soldiers as gang members and he thinks that's just the tip of the iceberg.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Maybe they should just check for tattoos. I stopped a guy with "crip" across his neck and he told me he's, "88 hotel yo".
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    They think they are hard over here running around doing drive-by's. Put them in the shit out there and lets see how hard they really are.

Dustoff262 is online now Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    We were at work today, doing some training, and one of the guys brought up Gangs in the Military. He told me to look this up in YouTube and found this shocking report by Fox11 news. Please be aware that this investigative report talks of a Police Officer killed in the line of duty. I served on Active Duty as a Navy Corpsman from 1982-88 (Active) and 1988-94 (reserves) and never ever seen this before.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dgwfVJIoBNM
    please disregard if this was posted before.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff262 View Post
    We were at work today, doing some training, and one of the guys brought up Gangs in the Military. He told me to look this up in YouTube and found this shocking report by Fox11 news. Please be aware that this investigative report talks of a Police Officer killed in the line of duty. I served on Active Duty as a Navy Corpsman from 1982-88 (Active) and 1988-94 (reserves) and never ever seen this before.
    See the link in my signature. The one at the bottom. No problem in reposting the link, it needs to get out there in circulation.

And Yes, I knew this officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty defending the citizens of my town from idiot gangbangers like this. I know his family, too. Great people, the kind you would want on your side when the going gets tough.

BTW, Thank You for your Military Service, Dustoff. Freedom isn't Free.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    Yes, I watched Gangland on the history channel. The spoke about this kid who was a gang member and used his training to kill one officer and wounded another. This is a big problem for all the Law enforcement out there. http://www.kcra.com/print/4066891/detail.html

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    See the link in my signature. The one at the bottom. No problem in reposting the link, it needs to get out there in circulation.

And Yes, I knew this officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty defending the citizens of my town from idiot gangbangers like this. I know his family, too. Great people, the kind you would want on your side when the going gets tough.

BTW, Thank You for your Military Service, Dustoff. Freedom isn't Free.
    Thank you for your supporting comments. Im very sorry for your loss. There is nothing you can do when you have a hand gun, and come up against an assault rifle. Its a shame. This officer should have not died like this. I hope the Police Officers are given heavy vests with ceramic plates that they can carry in their patrol cars, this way, when there is a gun run, they can pull over throw that heavy vest on, and then verify the gun run. No need to risk our lives when there are protective measures available for police.

In NYC, Emergency Services Unit will bring the heavy weapons in a matter of minutes to any gun run. NYC is a hard town to police, but we do our best to corral the knuckleheads so that the average citizen can enjoy the city.

Again, my condolences. That officer was a brave soul, who is now on eternal patrol, and remains an inspiration to many who wear the moniker of Police Officer.

Thank you. Stay safe.
    Armando.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    we have all ready had the heads up on this. crazy!!!! good info though.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thank you for your supporting comments. Im very sorry for your loss. There is nothing you can do when you have a hand gun, and come up against an assault rifle. Its a shame. This officer should have not died like this. I hope the Police Officers are given heavy vests with ceramic plates that they can carry in their patrol cars, this way, when there is a gun run, they can pull over throw that heavy vest on, and then verify the gun run. No need to risk our lives when there are protective measures available for police.

In NYC, Emergency Services Unit will bring the heavy weapons in a matter of minutes to any gun run. NYC is a hard town to police, but we do our best to corral the knuckleheads so that the average citizen can enjoy the city.

Again, my condolences. That officer was a brave soul, who is now on eternal patrol, and remains an inspiration to many who wear the moniker of Police Officer.

Thank you. Stay safe.
    Armando.
    You are absloutely right. The only reason in my opinion why the first officer and the trainee were not killed is that they were backed up by another officer with a AR-15 and previous military experience. He recognized the situation for what it was and reacted accordingly. Unfortunately, Howie was only armed with a handgun. That poor excuse for a Marine, that was hell bent on killing a cop, shot Howie at point blank range in the back of the head as he lay prone and injured trying to take cover behind that cinder block wall. I believe all our officers are armed with AR-15's now, as well as bullet proof vests. These officers were ambushed. Howie is what is known as a cop's cop. I couldn't have met a nicer man.

We had to wake up to the reality that we wern't living in Mayberry anymore. Ceres, CA is a rather close knit city, even at 37,000 people.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    There was a special done on this on Dateline (I think). The video's of the gang signs being flashed at parties on the bases in Iraq was pretty scarry. Gangbangers being taught to never give up and fight to the death with excellent skills is scary.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Scary stuff... We're right around the corner from there

213th is offline Solipsist
    This is what the military gets for lowering standards and granting waivers for felonies right and left. I'm sorry, I do not believe a felon has any place in the military, and allowing them to enter just to meet recruiting goals is bulls**t. It's dangerous to members of the military.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    NY Daily News had this article about the children of gang members:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...int=1&page=all

New blood: Violent gang life is passed down from parent to child
    BY VERONIKA BELENKAYA
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, June 15th 2008, 2:13 AM

A longtime member of the Lating Kings, here with his 4-year-old, says he wants to be a peacemaker and hopes his son follows suit.

Newborn Blood, known as a Blood drop, is draped with beads and flanked by guns. Police later seized the pistols from the parents.

The images as chilling as they are heartbreaking: An infant with a semiautomatic handgun next to each tiny shoulder. A child no more than a year old decked out in blood-red gang gear.

"They call them Blood drops, stains, rims," a former Staten Island Bloods gang member said of the nicknames gang parents give their children.

Incredibly, parents "bless" and initiate their babies into violent gangs like the Crips and Bloods - teaching chubby little fingers to fold into gang signs even before the tots mouth their first words.

Drive-by shootouts, murder and drug deals have always been a sad part of gang life, but recruitment from one generation to the next has become more prominent in the city where gangs only started showing their might in the mid-1990s.

"We're seeing more children who are being exposed to the gang world because their parents are members," said Deanna Rodriguez, Brooklyn district attorney gang bureau chief.

"This is part of their identity," Rodriguez said. "As long as they can remember, they've been part of the Bloods, Crips or the Latin Kings. This is what life is and they don't understand the concept of what life is outside that."

NYPD statistics bear out the sad truth: There were 713 gang incidents in New York last year, up from 554 in 2006.

While city officials estimate there are about 17,000 known gang members here, experts say the actual number is double that - not even including small neighborhood gangs.

The nation's three biggest gang cities are Los Angeles, Chicago and New York, said Arlen Egley of the National Youth Gang Organization.

Some of the misguided parents think teaching little ones the gang life is cute. Others have learned the hard way.

"My first child - he was only 6 months old when he got blessed into it," said King Ironman, a Bronx member of the Almighty Latin King and Queen Nation gang.

Then the boy was killed in a drive-by shootout.

"The target was me ... he was only 2 years old," Ironman said.

Although he says he hasn't been active for nearly 10 years and now tries to talk young people out of joining gangs, Ironman still "blessed" two more sons into the predominantly Puerto Rican gang. "Families have to do that to be part of the nation," he said.

One son was blessed at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Morningside Heights four years ago during a quasi-religious ceremony. "It's like a christening," he said. "The priest holds the baby and we say our prayer at the same time. We have to have the window open and the baby pointed toward the sun."

Once blessed, the child is given yellow beads - the gang's color.

"He's a true gangster. The way he acts with people, the way he just wants to beat you up and punch you," Iron said of the 4-year-old "Latin Prince" he hopes will preach peace within the gang.

One Espicopal priest who "blessed-in" about 300 children kids into the Association Neta and the Latin Kings said he did not see anything wrong with the ceremony.

"It's not a criminal organization," said the Rev. Luis Barrios, who is also a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. Barrios was removed from St. Mary's after tussling with his superiors in the Episcopal church.

"It's a street organization with the capacity to bring together young people in search of power, collective identity ... [and] belonging in the society that's rejecting them," Barrios said.

To get into a gang, a recruit often has to get beat up and hurt others to prove their loyalty, but born-in babies gain automatic acceptance.

"The ones that are born in have a little more power and respect," a 21-year-old former Brooklyn Crips member said. "I've seen little kids that you could tell their father is affiliated."

Crips parents refer to their kids' birthdays as "C-Day," instead of "B-Day," so as not to glorify the rival Bloods, he said.

Kids who grow up with gang parents are likely to become bullies at a young age, said Andrew Grascia, president of the New York State Gang Investigators.

"No child is born evil. They're taught evil things," he said. "You're taking a young, very fragile child who's being taught crime by the people who are supposed to secure and take care of him."

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    This is what the military gets for lowering standards and granting waivers for felonies right and left. I'm sorry, I do not believe a felon has any place in the military, and allowing them to enter just to meet recruiting goals is bulls**t. It's dangerous to members of the military.
    On that note...

Back during Vietnam, men were often given the option of jail or joining the military. I worked with a man who was given such a choice, and ended up in the Special Forces. This was some years ago, but I do remember him having the ability to kick the living shit out of me at 18 when he was in his late 50's...moved faster than I've ever seen anybody move...it was eerie.

So this isn't a new thing...I just wonder what percentage of men get straightened out by the military vs. the percentage of men who keep their training and take it back to their gangs....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    On that note...

Back during Vietnam, men were often given the option of jail or joining the military. I worked with a man who was given such a choice, and ended up in the Special Forces. This was some years ago, but I do remember him having the ability to kick the living shit out of me at 18 when he was in his late 50's...moved faster than I've ever seen anybody move...it was eerie.

So this isn't a new thing...I just wonder what percentage of men get straightened out by the military vs. the percentage of men who keep their training and take it back to their gangs....
    I may be incorrect though, but I don't believe the option of military over jail was often offered to people who were facing violent felony charges. I was reading in the Army Times about the number of waivers given to allow PRIOR CONVICTED felons into the military, to include rapists.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    ...and to society if and when they get out.

Not a LEO

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I may be incorrect though, but I don't believe the option of military over jail was often offered to people who were facing violent felony charges. I was reading in the Army Times about the number of waivers given to allow PRIOR CONVICTED felons into the military, to include rapists.
    I'll give you that for sure...I have no idea what the criterion were back then, or if it was up to individual judges to make the call.....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    I know of several gang bangers who are now federal cops on the ventura navy base. also there are several who were/are military police!

I talked to a friend of mine who is retired from the sheriff department and working there and he tells me there is no background check on the applicants, no psychological, no polygraph. he explains that the military just places them in a job field and it shows with the corruption he sees. and these are the guys guarding major weapons and munitions!

But as Joe says the navy chief of police is only hiring them at $12/hr and for california that is at the poverty level!

the DoD Police is looking for legitimacy but with it's practices I don't think so. I have come to find out that each base does it's own hiring practices and so-called academy.

Searching for Evil and the Perfect donut (Love that book)

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
    -Batman Begins

There are gains for all our losses
    There are balms for all our pain
    But, when youth, the dream, departs
    It takes something from our hearts
    And it never comes again

"Captain, it is I Ensign Pulver. I just threw your damn palm tree overboard. Now, what's all this crap about no movie tonight?" -Ens Pulver in Mister Roberts

The man who will go where his colors go, without asking who will fight a phantom foe in the jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. ...His pride is in his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face...and his obedience is to his orders. He has been called United State Marine.
    T.R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Verified LEO
    Felons are felons... no matter if they are granted a waiver to join the armed services, or are sent to jail. Either way, its the individual that has to make a conscious choice to change. In the military, they may get organizational skills and weapons training, but what do they get in jail? They link up with the gang that runs the joint, and learn things as well. I think if the military is going to take on these felons, a thorough vetting and re-education system should be in place before giving them a rifle. Either way, we are looking at the same person when they get out of jail or discharged from the armed services. He has to decide for himself what he wants out of life. Maybe the military gives him better hope, to turn away from crime. As another post stated, there arent statistics on how these gangbangers turned their lives around, only how they slipped back into the lives they once had.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pc830cop View Post
    I know of several gang bangers who are now federal cops on the ventura navy base. also there are several who were/are military police!

I talked to a friend of mine who is retired from the sheriff department and working there and he tells me there is no background check on the applicants, no psychological, no polygraph. he explains that the military just places them in a job field and it shows with the corruption he sees. and these are the guys guarding major weapons and munitions!

But as Joe says the navy chief of police is only hiring them at $12/hr and for california that is at the poverty level!

the DoD Police is looking for legitimacy but with it's practices I don't think so. I have come to find out that each base does it's own hiring practices and so-called academy.
    The USAF SF folks that watch the "glow shots" are polygraphed and can't even take an aspirin without an RX.

Not sure about the Navy or Marines.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information