Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

SWAT Team for Student Loans?

I'm really really hoping that there is more to this story, if not it is total crap. Using a SWAT team to serve a search warrant for someone that defaulted on student loans....really. Would not just a simple arrest warrant suffice? If you know an individual defaulted on loans is that even an arrestable offense? Is so, you can arrest the person, why the hell are they going full bore on searching the house? What agency is the SWAT team working for? Who was the administrative desk warlord that approved this that served to undercut legitimate law enforcement operations more than it saved society from this loan defaulter.

Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door | news10.net

Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door

STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.
    "I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.
    Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as a S.W.A.T team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.
    "He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.
    According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11 and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.
    As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.
    "They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.
    Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the City of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright's search warrant.
    The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.
    "They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."
    According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.
    The Office of the Inspector General has a law enforcement branch of federal agents that carry out search warrants and investigations.
    Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.
    Stockton police did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I too want the story better vetted. 100% in support of the views above regardless.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    they're going to need a swat team to get my lads wallet open if he deaults on his student loan, royal tight arse he is!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Some years ago, the FDA served a search warrant on a local clinic that featured holistic medicine. They conned some Watch Commander at Precinct 3 to have some troops go along for police presence. They totally fucked up the entry and search and how they handled the patients made US look like total asswipes. Took months for the furor to blow over. Don't NEVER trust any Fed who works for some department other than the FBI and DON"T never go along on some trumped up bullshit like this.

I am saying it was real....knowing what these douchebags are capable of.

Car 4

P.S. Think twice about the FBI too!
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Federal agents search Stockton home | Recordnet.com

Criminal investigation, not for defaulting on loans.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Regardless of whether the SWAT team was needed to serve the warrant, what about surveillance?

She didn't even live there any more. Really? Nobody bothered watching the place to make sure she lived there? This is the bigger boner in this story (TWSS!): No surveillance. I guess it was good that some crazy meth cook with a huge lab and tons of booby traps and a day care of babies weren't in there. C'mon guys, check it out first. Duh!
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information