Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BigBossMan is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O

Question Anna Nicole Smith Wins In Supreme Court

(AP) WASHINGTON The Supreme Court ruled Monday that one-time stripper and Playboy magazine Playmate Anna Nicole Smith could pursue part of her late husband's oil fortune.

Justices gave new legal impetus to Smith's bid to collect millions of dollars from the estate of J. Howard Marshall II. Her late husband's estate has been estimated at as much as $1.6 billion.

Smith has been embroiled in a long running cross-country court fight with Marshall's youngest son, E. Pierce Marshall. The court's decision, which was unanimous, means that it will not end anytime soon.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the court, said Smith should have a fresh chance to pursue claims in federal court.

"This is a victory for the federal courts over state courts more than it is a victory for Smith," said CBS News legal analyst Andrew Cohen. "The ruling does give her an opportunity to vindicate her rights but it doesn't guarantee that victory. What it does guarantee is that the federal courts can sometimes get involved in probate cases like this."

Smith's case had brought unusual drama to the normally sedate high court.

Dressed in all black, the former stripper wept in the courtroom in late February as justices discussed Marshall and whether he had intended to provide for her in death. When she arrived at the court, several photographers were knocked to the ground in a scuffle to photograph her.

She was a 26-year-old topless dancer when she married Marshall, then 89, in 1994. He died the following year at age 90, setting off an intense family fight.

In Smith's fight for Marshall's money, two courts collided. A Texas state court awarded her nothing, but a California Federal Court gave her $88 million. The Marshall family, which won the Texas case, argued that the feds should butt out, CBS News correspondent Wyatt Andrews reported in February.

Smith, the spokeswoman for a diet products company, had been awarded $474 million by a federal bankruptcy judge. That was later reduced by a federal district judge and then thrown out altogether by the San Francisco-based 9th Circuit. The case now goes back to California.

"I will continue to fight to uphold my father's estate plan and clear my name," Pierce Marshall said Monday.

Justices said Monday that the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in California was wrong in ruling that federal courts could not handle Smith's case.

"I am positive that the justices were far more interested in the nuances of competing jurisdiction than they were in Smith's background or appearance," Cohen said. "And if she were not the one bringing this case no one would have heard about it the Supreme Court resolves dozens of dense, technical cases like this each term without getting much attention to them."

So far, Smith has received nothing from Marshall's estate, although before his death Marshall showered Smith with $6.6 million in gifts that included two homes, expensive jewelry and clothes. She contends that he also promised her half his estate.

Ginsburg's opinion included only a hint of the nastiness of the family feud. She said there were accusations that Pierce Marshall "engaged in forgery, fraud, and overreaching to gain control of his father's assets" and, on the other side, that Smith had defamed her former stepson.

"I will continue to fight to clear my name in California federal court. That is a promise that (Smith) and her lawyers can take to the bank."

The case is Marshall v. Marshall, 04-1544.

Any Thought?????

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    She married him knowing she was going to get money. Son watched the marriage knowing he was going to lose money to her. Old guy only knew he had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, but at least he was married to Anna Nichole Tits.

Sounds like the father / husband knew what he was doing.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    Wonder what he was doing when he had the heart attack that killed him?

Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    Wonder what he was doing when he had the heart attack that killed him?

I know what I would have been doing. Don't got a damn clue about what he might have been doing.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    I would have been smacking her around and trying to knock some intelligence into here Trimspa snorting ass.

(Cochese does not condone, endorse or advocate the beating of stupid bimbos without a permit)

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I understand the Supremes ruling and endorse it. They're only saying that federal court supercedes state. I agree with that.

Now that's said, I hope the bitch starves.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

FishTail Guest
    As far as I'm concerned she's only entitled to a stipend to keep her living. Since he gave her $6.6 million during his lifetime I'd say that burden is discharged. I'd give her nothing more.

Marrying a man who made his money over 90 yrs for one year does not entitle you to half of his money, period. Especially if you did nothing to contribute to the fortune.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    I agree she should have a new chance in court. She was married to him. Give her some of that dusty money. And, she looks good again so that gets her another vote from me.

BabyGirl is offline Rookie
    The gold digger shouldn't get anything in my opinion, but then again, if she had sex with that old ass guy she should get something!!!!

FishTail Guest
    So, are you indecisive some of the time, most of the time or not at all? Take your time

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    It would seem that the court is being asked to provide a dollar figure be assigned to a finite number of sexual acts.

But how do you assign a dollar figure for the "kindness" she showed him?
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Thread Information