Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Oak Park battles city over vegetable garden in their front yard

OAK PARK, Mich. (WXYZ) - Their front yard was torn up after replacing a sewer line, so instead of replacing the dirt with grass, one Oak Park woman put in a vegetable garden and now the city is seeing green.

The list goes on: fresh basil, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cumbers and more all filling five large planter boxes that fill the Bass family’s front yard.

Julie Bass says, “We thought we’re minding our own business, doing something not ostentatious and certainly not obnoxious or nothing that is a blight on the neighborhood, so we didn't think people would care very much.”

But some cared very much and called the city. The city then sent out code enforcement.

“They warned us at first that we had to move the vegetables from the front, that no vegetables were allowed in the front yard. We didn't move them because we didn't think we were doing anything wrong, even according to city code we didn’t think we were doing anything wrong. So they ticketed us and charged me with a misdemeanor,” Bass said.

Julie even has an upcoming jury trial.

City code says that all unpaved portions of the site shall be planted with grass or ground cover or shrubbery or other suitable live plant material. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are what Basses see as suitable.

However, Oak Park’s Planning and Technology Director Kevin Rulkowski says the city disagrees. He says, “If you look at the dictionary, suitable means common. You can look all throughout the city and you'll never find another vegetable garden that consumes the entire front yard.”

Oak Park battles city over vegetable garden in their front yard
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

lndshark is offline Rookie
    As if Oak Park needs to waste it's very limited resources on something as silly as vegetables...geez!
    Seeking gainful employment in the Pacific Northwest

(I miss the mountains...)

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Someone probably didn't get their share of the communal farm "to each according to their wants", so the whole thing gets ratted off. Have we developed into a nation of greedy self-centered people who are more concerned with letting "big brother" handling something as small as this? I wonder how much this whole thing cost the taxpayers to abate this "nuisance". In a word: chicken-s**t.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm so glad I live and work in a place where there is so little government. Bureaucracy brings nothing but trouble.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    However, Oak Park’s Planning and Technology Director Kevin Rulkowski says the city disagrees. He says, “If you look at the dictionary, suitable means common. You can look all throughout the city and you'll never find another vegetable garden that consumes the entire front yard.”
    Unemployment is common these days so I think it would be suitable to fire Oak Park's Central Planning Czar. Then refund his salary to the taxpayers so they can buy some tomato plants.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
    As if Oak Park needs to waste it's very limited resources on something as silly as vegetables...geez!
    Agreed.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Call it a Victory Garden, then give everyone a history lesson. With the economy going the way of the dodo, obesity at record highs, and land at a premium, this sort of thing should be encouraged.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    When cabbages are outlawed, only the outlaws will have cabbage...

Seriously, doesn't code enforcement have something better to do like tow abandoned cars or clean up junk lots?
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ms1600 View Post
    When cabbages are outlawed, only the outlaws will have cabbage...

Seriously, doesn't code enforcement have something better to do like tow abandoned cars or clean up junk lots?

Cabbages don't kill people , methane gas does.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I'm so glad I live and work in a place where there is so little government. Bureaucracy brings nothing but trouble.
    Yup.

Remember though, Illinois is the last State without a concealed weapon law - and up until Chicago had the lawsuit shoved up their rear end, Chicago and Oak Park banned firearms outright.

This isn't a free part of the world we are talking about.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Yup.

Remember though, Illinois is the last State without a concealed weapon law - and up until Chicago had the lawsuit shoved up their rear end, Chicago and Oak Park banned firearms outright.

This isn't a free part of the world we are talking about.
    Sounds like communist heaven. Anyone living there gets exactly what they deserve.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Sounds like communist heaven. Anyone living there gets exactly what they deserve.
    INDEED....
    ...including the rest of US out in the backward provinces or flyover country now that the Daley and Obama political machine has exported their "plan" and "change" and "obey" (or else). That which is now up and running in DC. This is just a small byte of the Chicago style totalitarian behavior that lies ahead. They are going to rely heavily on paid informants to rat out their neighbors on everything. BTW the SEIU is actively pulling private security into it's control.
    Stand for Security

Soviet leader Nikita Krushchev said circa 1958 at the UN; "we will bury you" as he pounded his shoe on the rail . We ignored the warning, and the job is half done, our grave is half full, yet we are too stupid. stoned. or naive to realize the threat. Rome had its arenas, we have the TV, freebies, and lies, to ensure non-political uncaring docile citizens as they go thru the promise of "change", morphed into the "zeks" of the gulag. Remember the compliance of the Jews of Europe in the mid 1930's?

The America we grew up in, has no political leaders. Most who now claim that title are out to cover their own political butts, appease the one in power, and negotiates for their own gain from a position of weakness. Get off your knees, off your lazy asses, toss your TV, protect your privacy, and vote them all out.

Read some History of tyrants :
    1) Hitler's rise 1930-36 and the "Jewish Question",
    2) formation of the Soviet Union from 1917 to Stalin's takeover of the USSR, include the suspicious death of Lenin up to WW2, and
    3) Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe from 1975 to now.

Boring stuff, but chilling with similar big lies and methods to what we see today. Small wonder factual un-revised history is not the tyrant's favorite subject.

end of rant

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information