Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Legal Protection for Felons?

A legislative proposal in San Francisco seeks to make ex-cons and felons a protected class, along with existing categories of residents like African-Americans, people with disabilities and pregnant women. If passed by city supervisors, landlords and employers would be prohibited from asking applicants about their criminal past.

Read more: San Francisco Considers Legal Protection for Criminals - FoxNews.com

Wow. The Left Coast keeps getting more and more weird.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    If they are stupid enough to propose such legistration , I hope they are stupid enough to pass it into law.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Commission Director Teresa Sparks calls it a public safety issue.

"Without housing, it's hard to keep a steady job, and many times because of that, people recommit," Sparks said. She argues a criminal history shouldn't be the only reason someone is denied housing or work.

"All we're saying is get a chance to know them, see if they're qualified otherwise, before you use that as a criteria for taking them out," she said.
    She has a point there, but what people (felons, etc) need to realize is that the reason they can't find a job or housing is a consequence of their actions. Even if they have "paid their debt to society", there are way too many people out there looking for jobs and housing that haven't committed any crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Wow. The Left Coast keeps getting more and more weird.
    We're not alone.

Hawaii, New York and Philadelphia have enacted similar policies to prevent blanket discrimination against felons in the private job market, and some cities in Illinois and Wisconsin have imposed such restrictions on rental property owners.

Welcome to San Francisco. Los Angeles isn't too far behind with all of their pandering to the illegals, but sadly it makes the rest of the state of California look bad. No wonder why so many are leaving in droves.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Ok (and I can't believe I'm saying this), I can ALMOST see where someone with a non-violent felony as a teen, or a hell of a long time ago, may POSSIBLY be able to have this.

And i mean MANY YEARS after their conviction.

Violent or sex offenders, no way in hell.

And ONLY for housing or jobs unconnected with what they did. Like no bank jobs for someone convicted of fraud.

And ONLY for jobs and MAYBE housing. No other "protected class" BS that would let them sue if someone wrote letters telling others that a convicted felon was moving into the neighborhood.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What if they apply for city jobs?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I guess it depends on the job. Would I be ok with a guy who was convicted of cocaine possession, followed by 6 years of sobriety and treatment, getting a city job other than PD/FD? Probably
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Thread Information