Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PACMAN is offline Officer

Owner gets 3 years, fine for badly beating his dog

Southcrest man with a string of convictions dating back to 1983 was sentenced yesterday to three years in prison and fined $1,000 for badly beating his dog last year.

Enrique George Hernandez, 39, pleaded guilty to felony animal cruelty March 30. Prosecutors have called this one of the worst cases of animal abuse county animal control officers have encountered.

According to court documents, one of Hernandez's neighbors called police Aug. 25 when she saw Hernandez punch the dog – a 2-year-old, 55-pound pit bull named Ozzie – about 10 times.
    The neighbor told police that the dog was “crying” and Hernandez was laughing and yelling at the animal to shut up.

When police and county animal control officers arrived at Hernandez's home, the dog was tied with an electrical cord to a side door of the garage in direct sunlight with no food or water and was unable to lie down, according to the documents.

A veterinarian examined the dog and determined it suffered from internal bleeding, a fractured left front leg and fractured ribs. The dog's injuries were at different stages of healing and it also had a burn on the top of its head, according to court records.

Deputy District Attorney Cally Bright said the burn was from a cigarette.

Doctors treated the animal, but it eventually became too aggressive to be adopted and was euthanized Oct. 30, authorities said.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Howard H. Shore said Hernandez's behavior showed “unjustifiable cruelty.”

“He clearly knew what he was doing,” Shore said. “He has a horrible temper and he took it out on the dog.”

Hernandez told a probation officer before his sentencing that he “did not realize he should not hit a dog.” He said he was under the influence of methamphetamine when he tried to bathe the animal and hit it because it was trying to wallow in mud, according to court documents.

Hernandez has been in and out of custody over the past 23 years for crimes including domestic violence, assault with a deadly weapon and entering the United States illegally.

He was born in Tijuana and moved to the United States when he was 2 years old.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    Dawg don't like people that beat animals. If they beat animals they beat women and children. Yes he could go under the troll bridge with me for a little talk.

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    Too bad he can't be euthanized.

FishTail Guest
    He was jailed for three years and fined $1,000. Seems odd. Fine him or jail him. Both doesn't make sense.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Is it me or would this guy get less jail time for beating his wife?
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    He should be tied up and have a pack of mean, hungry, horny and rabid Rottweilers have at him. I'm glad he did get some significant jail time.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    Is it me or would this guy get less jail time for beating his wife?
    It depends. 1st offense and you're right. Subsequent offense means more sever punishment. But to get that much time he's have to beat her pretty good and previous incidents. Sad but true.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    No wonder the dog became agressive. If I'd been treated like that, I'd probably try to kill anyone who touched me too.

Poor pup, and poor anyone who's ever been controlled by this guy or others like him.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mainedawg
    Dawg don't like people that beat animals. If they beat animals they beat women and children. Yes he could go under the troll bridge with me for a little talk.

"never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mainedawg
    Yeah, guys like him are cowards. But three years is a long time. People don't get that much for assaulting people here.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Ianl6 is offline Dreamboy First Class

Thumbs down fine for beating dog

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Yeah, guys like him are cowards. But three years is a long time. People don't get that much for assaulting people here.

Any one who is gutless enough to hurt animals like this man did
    deserves to be first casterated because they make me they then
    should be made clear up dogs till they to and go

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianl6
    Any one who is gutless enough to hurt animals like this man did
    deserves to be first casterated because they make me they then
    should be made clear up dogs till they to and go

Agreed. I hope he get's his balls cut off and flushed down the toilet in prison. I do have to agree with others that it sucks you get three years for beating a dog, but MUCH less that that for beating a spouse.

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    I have a partner that would like to chat with him...They should sentence him to one month of catching Police K-9's with no protection. I think that would cure his problem with animals.
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt

There are certain counties in California where victimizing any of the following is about the ONLY time you'll EVER get any REAL time in jail:

1) Elderly victims
    2) Spousal abuse/DV
    and
    3) Animals

There seems to be some inherent revulsion ingrained in most (normal) people that when you victimize ANY of these three categories, you simply cross a line.

The fine AND the imprisonment aren't enough IMHO. The bad guy's got a 23 year history of violent criminal activity.

Let him rot for a while in a cell....

Thread Information