"A customer came in, and I jumped up out of my chair and came out here to wait on him, and I left the chair where he could jump up on my chair, and jump up on my desk," said Roberts.

On the desk four packs of loose diamonds, about a carat each to set in diamond earrings, pens, and dog treats. When he returned only three packs remained, and an empty pouch like this one was lying on the floor.

"We looked all over and there weren't any diamonds, so immediately I knew he'd eaten them."

Since Honey Bun wasn't talking, there was only one way to find out.

"She came down and took him across the street and we ran X-rays."

Carbon doesn't show up on an X-ray, but two blank spots confirmed Honey Bun was a likely suspect. It only took a day, and they found another surprise.

"The next afternoon sure enough the earring back and two diamonds were recovered, no panic.".
Incidentally, the diamonds Honey Bun chose to eat, weren't the best pair. If they were, Chuck Roberts said they'd be in the display case now. They were cleaned up and sent back to the supplier.
More here: The dog ate my diamonds... Really! - Live, Local, Late Breaking news, weather, and sports