Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Warnings, watches issued in U.S. ahead of Hurricane Irene

A hurricane warning was issued for coastal North Carolina from Little River Inlet north to the Virginia border, including the Pamlico, Albemarle and Currituck sounds, the National Hurricane Center said in its 5 p.m. ET advisory.
    Irene, moving north-northwest at 14 mph, was expected to turn northward from the Bahamas early Friday. In anticipation, Amtrak and major U.S. airlines began canceling flights or putting them on a watch list.
    Initial landfall was expected Saturday in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, but Irene could have other areas in its sights as it skirts the East Coast all the way to New England.
    "Extremely dangerous storm surge will raise water levels by as much as 5 to 10 feet above ground level within the hurricane warning area, including the Albemarle and Pamlico sounds," the center said. "The surge will be accompanied by large, destructive and life-threatening waves."
    More here: Warnings, watches issued in U.S. ahead of Hurricane Irene - CNN.com

Hope everyone stays safe.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    We are already under a state of emergency in Delaware. I'm scheduled to be off all weekend but have been put on standby and told expect to be called in! I don't mind, I like things like this.

Wind gusts expected from 80-100 mph and over a foot of water....here we go!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This may be a wake up call for some who think hurricanes are just a reason to go surfing.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I have to say, I'm more than a little nervous.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Stay safe all my East Coast friends.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Well... Weekend plans cancelled due to hurricane hitting the destination for the family get-together. Leave after being in school cancelled, too. Question now is how long will I work this weekend. Pool starts at 24 hours (2 scheduled shifts), and maxes out at 60 -- or straight through to Monday night.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I hope all of you east-coasters stay safe!!! BC, if for some reason New Jersey gets flooded (and the land-fills don't stop the water), you can always fly to Oregon and crash in my spare room. LOL
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    I hope all of you east-coasters stay safe!!! BC, if for some reason New Jersey gets flooded (and the land-fills don't stop the water), you can always fly to Oregon and crash in my spare room. LOL
    Thank you, irishmick!! Right about now I wish I could take you up on your offer!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Hang on, be careful, and good luck you all you east-coasters. Particularly YOU, BC.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Hang on, be careful, and good luck you all you east-coasters. Particularly YOU, BC.
    Thanks, Cidp.

I think I'm well prepared.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Yea, I'm a weather nerd.

Excellent, fairly inexpensive weather radar software:

http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3/
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Or you can fly down here and crash in my room.....

Not with me of course. With Dawn. Well, not with Dawn. I mean not like that......

Aw hell, just go to Autumn's.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Or you can fly down here and crash in my room.....

Not with me of course. With Dawn. Well, not with Dawn. I mean not like that......

Aw hell, just go to Autumn's.
    Hahaha!!!

Thanks, lew!

A3148 is offline Office Ninja
    Verified LEO
    We are going to get hit here in NC during the night, my city will get hit in the morning, so I at least have a few more hours to watch TV and play on here before we lose power and have to play out in the wind all day.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, here you'd have your own bed and a lockable door. However, I do have to say that Orion can unlock said door and might come up to guggle with you in the morning. hehehe
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    We got a couple clouds and a nice breeze from it. BC, we have a spare room with your name on it if you want.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    I'll be off when it's suppose to reach CT. I think I'm far enough inland so the winds will be slowed down a bit. Mostly nervous about the whole power loss warnings.

If we lose power and get the 10" of rain, I'll have a very nice new swimming pool in the basement.

I'm seriously considering buying a small generator so I can run the pumps. Nothing like waiting to the last minute.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Stay Safe, my Colonial Friends.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    We got a couple clouds and a nice breeze from it. BC, we have a spare room with your name on it if you want.
    Whoo-hoo!!

Yeah, here you'd have your own bed and a lockable door. However, I do have to say that Orion can unlock said door and might come up to guggle with you in the morning. hehehe
    That would be just fine, and much nicer than an alarm clock!

Quote Originally Posted by A3148 View Post
    We are going to get hit here in NC during the night, my city will get hit in the morning, so I at least have a few more hours to watch TV and play on here before we lose power and have to play out in the wind all day.
    I hope you're doing okay, A3148. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    I'll be off when it's suppose to reach CT. I think I'm far enough inland so the winds will be slowed down a bit. Mostly nervous about the whole power loss warnings.

If we lose power and get the 10" of rain, I'll have a very nice new swimming pool in the basement.

I'm seriously considering buying a small generator so I can run the pumps. Nothing like waiting to the last minute.
    I went to Lowe's yesterday to pick up something for my neighbor and I couldn't even tell you how many people were there trying to get generators, it was packed. I am so very glad that I got what I needed a few days ago, from what I've heard I don't think there's a "D" battery or flashlight to be found anywhere in my town.

When I went to Starbucks this morning the lines at the gas stations were unreal. I think that everything in town is closing at 2:00 today and will be closed until Monday (at least).

One good thing could come out of this - maybe it will get rid of Snooki and the Situation.

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Riding out a hurricane is stressful, but the real fun begins afterward......keep your head down and be prepared.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information