Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul

Rep. Kennedy crashes car near Capitol

Rep. Kennedy crashes car near Capitol
    Rhode Island Democrat denies alcohol involved

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/...ent/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Patrick Kennedy, son of Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, crashed his car into a barricade on Capitol Hill early Thursday morning, the Rhode Island Democrat said.

"I was involved in a traffic incident last night at First and C Street SE near the U.S. Capitol," Rep. Kennedy said in a news release.

"I consumed no alcohol prior to the incident. I will fully cooperate with the Capitol Police in whatever investigation they choose to undertake."

Kennedy, 39, was not injured in the accident, which apparently happened about 3 a.m., one law enforcement source said.

The elder Kennedy, a fellow Democrat, said he had no immediate comment.

Congressional and law enforcement sources said Capitol Hill Police witnessed the accident, and they reported that Kennedy was the only one in the car, which was badly damaged.

A statement on the police Web site says, "The United States Capitol Police are investigating a traffic violation that occurred in the early morning hours ... in the 100 Block of C Street, SE." They did not identify who was involved or provide other details.

The officials said officers at the scene reported seeing the car swerve before the crash and said Kennedy appeared intoxicated.

After the accident, they drove Kennedy home. There was no indication from the sources that a sobriety test was given or that an arrest was made.

Sean Richardson, Kennedy's chief of staff, confirmed there was an accident involving a vehicle overnight, and said no alcohol was involved.

One source told CNN that Kennedy told a police officer he was late for a vote.

The House was not in session at the time, having adjourned Wednesday night at 11:59, according to its Web site.

CNN has made a formal request for an incident report from the Capitol Hill Police.

CNN's Brian Todd and Ted Barrett contributed to this report

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I'm checking this story out now on Hannity & Colmes. It appears he may have been drunk, and the officers were forced by a supervisor to let him off because of politics. If that's true, then that's awful. Are the Kennedy's born with a bottle in their hand or what?

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    I'm checking this story out now on Hannity & Colmes. It appears he may have been drunk, and the officers were forced by a supervisor to let him off because of politics. If that's true, then that's awful. Are the Kennedy's born with a bottle in their hand or what?

Yeah I was watching Hannity and Colmes, too. What do you think about them driving him home?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    Yeah I was watching Hannity and Colmes, too. What do you think about them driving him home?

He should have been arrested if he was legally impaired. I think the on-scene officers did what they were told, and I don't blame them. I blame the supervisors for giving the order.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Seems all the male Kennedys should have all driver's and pilot's licenses taken away as a precaution.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Ok, he's just released a statement saying he was disoriented due to taking two different medecines (the prescribed amount) at the same time, and that he consumed no alcohol.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    cough cough bullshit cough cough

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    admitted DUI

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    That supervisor will probably have a new bass boat delivered to his house out of gratitude,.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Article

U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy insisted yesterday that he had consumed “no alcohol” before he slammed his Mustang convertible into a concrete barrier near his office, but a hostess at a popular Capitol Hill watering hole told the Herald she saw him drinking in the hours before the crash.

“He was drinking a little bit,” said the woman, who works at the Hawk & Dove and would not give her name.

Leaving his office late last night, Kennedy refused to say whether he’d been to the Hawk & Dove the night before.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What??? A politician caught out in a lie?! What's this world coming to???

(note: The above should be read with extra thick sarcasm.)
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    He should have been arrested if he was legally impaired. I think the on-scene officers did what they were told, and I don't blame them. I blame the supervisors for giving the order.
    What kind of provisions are made for a PO in the event they are given an unlawful order? I'd assume that they'd not be required to obey, but even if that is the case, is it likely that disobeying an unlawful order could still work against them in their career in subtle ways?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Well I don't know that it's actually unlawful. Just serious abuse of discretion. At the orientation meeting for the Auxiliary Police that I attended the other night, the Captain was laughing about how he pulled over a guy who was obviously DUI, then called his wife to come get him. I was less than impressed.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Rep. Patrick Kennedy is checking himself into a rehabilitation unit, CNN learns.
    Shocked! I am shocked, I tell you!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What, that a Kennedy would actually ADMIT that they have a substance abuse problem? That's what shocked me.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by 213th
    What kind of provisions are made for a PO in the event they are given an unlawful order? I'd assume that they'd not be required to obey, but even if that is the case, is it likely that disobeying an unlawful order could still work against them in their career in subtle ways?

The problem is the order is not unlawful because their is no law that states you must charge someone who is driving while impaired. Is it unethical, or wrong...yeah, probably so. But if you disobeyed that direct order, right or not, you could kiss your job goodbye.

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th
    Well, the courts here in England have said that in my job as a police officer I have to obey the lawful orders of my superiors. They've also said that in my office as a constable the only lawful orders I am entitled to receive are those from a court of competent jurisdiction (arrest warrants etc).

That sounds like splitting hairs but in reality it means that my superiors can order me to go and patrol a certain area, go look for certain offences and do certain duties. It also means though that I cannot be told how to exercise my discretion when acting in the course of my duties. I cannot be ordered to either arrest or not arrest a violator.

In the words of the court "each constable is an individual agent deriving his authority directly from the Crown and as such each is individually responsible for his exercise of his authority."

In reality, if I stood up to a boss and tried to quote that to him I'd get reamed a new one. But legally, I have unfettered discretion in the exercise of my office as constable.

Thread Information