Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

Troy Davis to be executed

It looks like Troy Davis will be meeting his maker down in GA. Of course, the last minute campaign to save him is in full swing. He was found guilty of murdering an off-duty officer.

Last-ditch appeals as Davis execution nears - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

ATLANTA Death row inmate Troy Davis neared his execution Wednesday despite a furious last-ditch campaign in the U.S. and Europe to win his clemency for killing a Georgia policeman, a crime he and others have insisted for years he did not commit.
    The Georgia Pardons and Paroles Board on Wednesday morning said it would not review its decision to allow the execution to go forward.

So... is he guilty or does anyone doubt it?I know little to nothing of the case...
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Pretty much all I am seeing is "He's not guilty!!". I've seen very little info to substantiate this, other than claims that some eye witnesses have recanted. I'd like to see the whole story.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yeah , that's all I've heardwas a large number of witnesses(but not all) recanted or changed their statements and there was no physical evidence , i.e. the murder weapon linking Davis to the murder according to media reports.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    So is this another Mumia Abu-Jamal (born Wesley Cook on April 24, 1954) type thing. Poor minority railroaded by the evil establishment?

IMO, Mumia Abu-Jamal is guilty as hell and deserves his fate. Troy Davis... I haven't seen anything on him.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Davis was identified by several witnesses at trial. A gun was not recovered, but apparently police matched shell casings/bullets at the murder scene to those from another shooting (attempted murder) that Davis was convicted for. My understanding is that Davis' defense is he was there with another man, some witnesses against Davis recanted their ID and the second person allegedly bragged to other people that he is the real shooter.

There is a synopsis of the case here: Troy Davis case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    Poor minority railroaded by the evil establishment?
    The jury consisted of 7 blacks and 5 whites. I know you were joking CT, just throwing that little tidbit out there.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Fukketh himmeth.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I've been a proponent of the death penalty for most of my life. Recently, however, I've become against it. But I believe Davis is guilty, and if he is executed I won't shed any tears- and if his execution is stayed, I won't be elated.

Update right now is that his execution is delayed "paused" while the US Supreme Court looks over the case.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Supreme Court - Stay is denied

Execution in less than 30 minutes.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    His partner has taken to claiming he pulled the trigger. Truth? Or a thug propping up his street cred?

Some witnesses have recanted. Were they coerced for the trial or suffering guilt someone is dying now and changing their story?

Jurors say they would not recommend the death penalty now. Remorse?

There is no way a trial can be fair, or accurate today. It should stand on the merits of the original case and statements made then. If it was done correctly, and fairly then, it should be left alone. There has been no claim I've read that the original case was flawed or improper at the time.

Davis may not be the perfect candidate for the death penalty but I don't see how we can go changing the rules after the fact because we get weak knees. It sucks all the way around. Especially for the dead cop and his family.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    He's dead. Any argument is rather moot now.

Thread Information