Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Dozens of "exotic" wild animals released in Ohio

Dozens of animals -- including bears, lions, tigers, cheetahs and wolves -- are on the prowl in eastern Ohio, authorities said Tuesday night.

Area residents were urged to stay indoors until all the animals had been controlled. Authorities were "shooting to kill," said Muskingum County Sheriff Matthew J. Lutz. Forty-eight had been freed, and as of 8:40 p.m. ET, about two dozen had been shot, Lutz said.

More at the link:
    Public warned about freed wildlife - CNN.com
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Its like a safari with out the travel expense
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah...friggin brilliant.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Ohio. That's all I have to say.

I hope that no one is injured.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I do feel bad for the animals. They're in a terrible spot. Just being animals, and they're gonna be/already have been killed for it.

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    The media here has avoided saying "Lions and Tigers, and Bears". I do think it is big that Jack Hanna is backing the Sheriff and his orders to shoot to kill. All too often in situations the big celeb comes in and tries to undermine the man in charge be it the Sheriff, Police Chief , or Chief Glory Chasing Hose Monkey, yet Hanna came in and made it very clear that he is there to help and give any support that the Columbus Zoo and The Wilds ( exotic animal park near by loosely connected to the Zoo) could provide to the Sheriffs Office.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    According to the brief Tv news I caught at lunch. The owner released all of the animals before committing suicide. Same news anchor reports that the first responding deputy was attacked by a bear and managed to get back to his cruiser before shooting the bear.

Officers in the mostly rural area about 55 miles east of Columbus were under orders to shoot to kill for fear that animals hit with tranquilizer darts would run off and hide in the darkness.
    The owner of the preserve, Terry Thompson, left the cages open and the fences unsecured, releasing dozens of animals, including lions, tigers, bears and wolves, before committing suicide, said Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz.
    Authorities would not say how he killed himself and no suicide note was found. Lutz wouldn't speculate on why he committed suicide. But Thompson had had repeated run-ins with the law, and Lutz said the sheriff's office had received numerous complaints since 2004 about animals at the property.
    "This is a bad situation," the sheriff said. "It's been a situation for a long time."
    Hanna said that of the three animals believed to be unaccounted for, he was most concerned about the mountain lion, because of its impressive leaping ability. He said anyone confronting these animals should not run, because they will give chase.
    Hanna defended the sheriff against criticism that the animals should have been captured alive.
    "What was he to do at nighttime with tigers and lions, leopards, going out there?" Hanna said. "In the wild this would be a different situation."
    The preserve in Zanesville had lions, tigers, cheetahs, wolves, giraffes, camels and bears. Lutz called the animals "mature, very big, aggressive" but said a caretaker told authorities they had been fed on Monday.

Read more: Sheriff: Exotic animal farm owner killed self

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I hope everyone stays safe.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by copboy View Post
    Hanna came in and made it very clear that he is there to help and give any support that the Columbus Zoo and The Wilds ( exotic animal park near by loosely connected to the Zoo) could provide to the Sheriffs Office.
    So it's not actually at The Wilds? I had heard several times that it was.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Just found this on facebook:

While it sincerely was necessary...it's still very sad it had to happen.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What did the dumbass that committed suicide think was going to happen? You don't go looking for a 500-700lb tiger saying here kitty kitty. Unfortunate but necessary, just like a lot of things with this job.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The Bengal tigers are a huge loss. The news here said 18 of them had been killed, and there are less than 3000 left in the world, including those in captivity. One man's idiocy cost all these animals their lives.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    The Bengal tigers are a huge loss. The news here said 18 of them had been killed, and there are less than 3000 left in the world, including those in captivity. One man's idiocy cost all these animals their lives.

Exactly. Yet social networking and article feedback is filled with comments from people slamming LE for not tranquilizing and capturing them.....yeeeeeeeeah. No.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Exactly. Yet social networking and article feedback is filled with comments from people slamming LE for not tranquilizing and capturing them.....yeeeeeeeeah. No.

From what I heard from Jack Hannah, tranquilizing is possible during the day. But because this primarily happened in the evening/overnight, tranquilizing them wasn't possible. When the animal gets hit with a dart, they run and hide. Then you're looking for a scared animal in the dark and rain...an even worse scenario than looking for one when the sun is up.

They were able to tranq and capture I think 5 animals...not sure what they were though. And they obviously weren't able to do it until the morning.

Either way, the only person to fault in this whole thing is the owner. LE, the zoo people, the animals, are all victims of this dumbass' poor decisions.

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    So it's not actually at The Wilds? I had heard several times that it was.
    No, This was a private collector who actually had a history of animals at large.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by copboy View Post
    No, This was a private collector who actually had a history of animals at large.

Ahhh. Ok.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Thread Information