Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Police told to make fewer arrests to save money

Police told to make fewer arrests to save money - Telegraph

Police are being ordered to make fewer arrests, handle more crime on the phone and not attend as many incidents in an effort to save money.
    Officers in Staffordshire Police are also being urged to hand out more on the spot penalties and let low level anti-social behaviour be handled by council workers.
    Senior officers have issued the new advice after paying accountants KPMG 480,000 to provide advice on how to cut costs.

The 18-week review was carried out to help Staffordshire Police cope with budget cuts of 38 million and the loss of 300 officers and civilian staff since April 2010.

The force, along with constabularies around the country, will also have to find extra savings over the coming years after the Government announced budgets cuts of up to 20 per cent by 2014.

Following the reviews, officers have been told to look at all available alternatives to making arrests to reduce the amount of police time spent on suspects and cut the bill for keeping detainees in custody.

Each arrest can take up to eight hours and officers are being encouraged to consider community resolutions, street bail, penalty notices and inviting voluntary attendance for interview instead.
    Police will also attend fewer incidents, leaving call centre staff to use greater "professional discretion" on which reports are most important and need a response within the 60-minute target.
    A team of 12 constables has been created to conduct preliminary investigations on the phone, freeing up police to attend 'live' incidents.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Well, no one can accuse of the UK justice system of being a money-making scheme.

I'd love to ride with you guys for day.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maybe they'd have more money for arrests if they didn't pay piles of cash to consultants to state the obvious?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Street bail? Is that like in Mexico where cops extort you to let you go?
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As this is my force I feel qualified to comment.

They are a complete bunch of tossers.
    Management is more concerened with how they look and what it costs. although that doesn't apply when it comes to their own offices and as stated above wasting money on stupid "experts" to help save money.

Well they needn't worry there WILL be fewer arests as I am one of around 250 or so officers being told they must leave on completion of 30 years service. We will not be replaced. No plans to recruit for the next 3 - 4 years.

Maybe I could get some work advising them. it appears to be a lucrative job.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Maybe your gaffers should solve the problem at the orgin and ask the criminal element to commit fewer crimes.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    The ONLY thing on the list that makes sense is to handle calls that don't need an officer on scene by phone.

I don't know y'alls salary over there, but how many officers could have been hired/kept for that much money?
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    About another 20 officers
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    The ONLY thing on the list that makes sense is to handle calls that don't need an officer on scene by phone.
    We used to do that but then some politicians said they expected a police officer to attend every crime.

Even some of the victims ask us why were there as it's pointless - bit like the politicians and senior officers at times.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Thread Information