Welcome to the APBWeb.
    adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO

Police attacker convicted and sentenced

Many of you may recall the series of attacks on the Hemet Police Department (CA) over the course of more than a year, starting in December 2009. The primary suspect, Nicholas Smit, was finally convicted last month and sentenced last week to FOUR life sentences, to be served consecutively. In between the conviction and the sentencing, Smit attempted to escape from a jail van while being transported between facilities. Fortunately, no officers were injured in his failure.

The following news link is about the sentencing, but has an historical timeline with associated links within the article. I think there might even be a video of the "tough" guy breaking down in tears as the verdict was read.
    Link: HEMET: Police attacker gets multiple life sentences | Breaking News | PE.com - The Press-Enterprise

It's a long article, but worth the read. Of course, Smit's family begged the court for leniency in the sentencing, claiming he's a loving father and his children need him. I guess it's lost on them that Smit repeatedly tried to kill a devoted family man, and nearly killed another very devoted family man when the zip gun he planted went off, sending a bullet whizzing by the ear of Sgt. Matt Hess. (Interesting to note that the jury deadlocked on that charge because they were confused about the law, since Sgt. Hess wasn't the primary intended target. ) I loved the judge's response to Smit's family:
    “He had a completely cavalier attitude in killing others,” Mandio said. “He was willing to do so because he dehumanized police officers.”

This morning, Smit's primary target, Detective Chuck Johnson, was interviewed on a Los Angeles news show. He gave a great interview, despite the anchors talking over each other and not letting him finish his answers.
    Link: Chuck Johnson Discusses Hemet Attacks | Good Day LA

Good riddance to the oxygen thief. It's just a shame the taxpayer has to treat you so well behind bars.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good riddance indeed.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wow, this guy's fuckups would be hilarious in another setting. As this was far from a comical farce good riddance, and rot well, long and well.

Thread Information