Chicago police say a car thief disrupted an Iowa couple's wedding preparations on Thursday when the couple's car — with the wedding dress in the trunk — was stolen from the Lakeview neighborhood.

West side police officers recovered the dress early Saturday morning in West Garfield Park after they stopped the car because it appeared suspicious, police said.

Police said the couple, in town for their wedding Saturday morning, parked the car about 8 p.m. Thursday night. By Friday morning, it was gone.
The officers quickly ran the license plates and when they found it was a "fresh steal" they pulled it over near Kostner Avenue and began inspecting the car and questioning its driver, 38-year-old Milus Hendricks, the lieutenant said.

"They didn't know the wedding dress was in the car until they inspected the car and they noticed luggage and the dress in the trunk," Andrews said.

When Sandoval and McKenna called the car's owner, the 43-year-old groom from Urbandale, Iowa, asked if the dress was still in the car.

"He (groom) said it's my fiancée's wedding dress — we're supposed to get married in the morning," Andrews said.

The groom, who was reached by telephone this afternoon but did not want to be identified, said his phone rang about 1:30 a.m.

"Well, it was very surprising," he said.

"They said they’d made an arrest and recovered the car and that they wanted me to come down and receive the car and file charges, but after talking to them, they decided just to bring the car to us and not let us go through the hassle.’’

"I had never had anything like this happen before," he said of the robbery and was in awe that they actually got the items back.
more here: Chicago police return stolen car, wedding dress in time for Saturday ceremony - chicagotribune.com