Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Small town poli-tricks at its worst.

Candor, NC -- Four out of five police officers have gotten pink slips in a Montgomery County community.
    Two new commissioners were sworn into office in the town of Candor Monday night. Their first order of business was a closed door meeting, in which 80 percent of the police department was terminated.
    "It's a shock. All four of us officers, we've done our job, never had any complaints, never written up," said Jeremy Blake, one of the officers who was fired.
    "They didn't give us a reason why. They didn't give us a cause. The just said it was effective immediately," said another fired officer, Grantland Jackson.
    Commissioner Phillip Hearn, who has served on the board for ten years, said he was one of two commissioners who voted against it. The vote was three to two.
    "None of the three commissioners, who voted for this, would give a reason why, to the board of commissioners, or to the citizens of this town," said Hearn.
    However, the officers who got the pink slips believe the move can be traced back to one traffic stop.
    "I'm thinking this is just a continuation of a personal vendetta by a lady that we ended up arresting some two years ago," said James Pierce, who has fired as sergeant of the force.
    Pierce said that woman helped finance the new commissioners' campaigns, including the campaign of Wayne Holyfield. On Monday night, Mayor Rich Britt appointed Holyfield in charge of the police department.
    Holyfield is also a state trooper. Town officials said he was the one who made the motion to fire the police officers.
    "It was disgraceful. And to think, a state trooper was the instigator of it," said one resident, Susan Myers.
    WFMY News 2 spoke with Wayne Holyfield by phone late Tuesday night. He said "It was a matter that was discussed and supported by 3 out 5 board members." He declined to comment any further.
    Commissioner Hearn is questioning whether the move is even legal.
    "The town's attorney had not been contacted. The personnel policy we have in place had not been followed," said Hearn.

Commissioners Vote Leaves Candor With One Police Officer, Others Fired | digtriad.com
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And more detail about the stop mentioned in the article.

District court Judge Lee Gavin found Candor resident Teresa Lamonds guilty of two counts of communicating threats and resisting arrest but not guilty of assault on an officer last week. Lamonds had requested a trial rather than plead guilty to the charges or to a lesser charge. Lamonds plans on filing an appeal.

According to testimony, Candor police officer Randolph Jackson stopped Lamonds in May of this year for speeding 40 in a 35 mile per hour zone. Jackson issued Lamonds a warning ticket and testified that during the stop Lamonds became verbally abusive to the officer. Jackson asked the court to excuse his language and went on to state what he claimed Lamonds said, “….the Candor Police Department.” Jackson said Lamonds said she owned property in town and that she would give the officers something to stop her for.
    Jackson continued saying how her husband Johnny arrived at the scene during the incident, but that he stayed in his vehicle. Jackson said he did feel threatened by Lamonds during this incident and that he was afraid the incident might escalate. Jackson said he told her to calm down and that she could contact his supervisor if she had a problem with his patrolling.

At that time Lamonds pulled off, Jackson pulled off and Johnny Lamonds fell in behind the officer. Jackson stated that Lamonds was following him very closely so he pulled Johnny Lamonds and gave him a warning ticket for following too close. Lamonds came back during that stop and sat across the road and according to Jackson yelled the same type things as during the previous stop.

When Teresa Lamonds left the traffic stop after receiving the warning ticket, Town Clerk Tammy Kellis testified to her coming to the town hall and asking for Mayor Becky Williams. Williams was not in the office at the time and Kellis said Lamonds asked, “Who’s that tall skinny prick that works for the police department?” Kellis said that Lamonds continued saying, “I own property in this town and he has the nerve to stop me. I don’t have to put up with this _. I will give him something to stop me for.” Kellis said she asked Lamonds if she wanted the police chief to call her and that Lamonds replied she could have anyone she wanted to call her. Kellis said Lamonds was visibly upset, speaking loudly and flushed. John Thompson, who was also in the office at that time, testified that he heard the same thing. Both Kellis and Thompson stated they did not feel threatened. Kellis said she did not feel the comments were directed at her.

The last witness for the state was Sgt. James Pierce. Pierce stated he came in early that day to catch up on paperwork. Pierce stated he was not on duty and therefore he was dressed in plain clothes and was not carrying a badge, radio or telephone. Pierce said that part of his duties is to handle department complaints. Pierce said he went to the Lamonds’ business, J and L Hosiery, just up the street from the police department and entered through a back door. Once inside he said he asked an employee where Lamonds was and they pointed to a door. Pierce said he went through the door and found Teresa Lamonds. Pierce said their conversation started out calm but the more they talked the more agitated she became. Pierce said she told him that filing a complaint would do no good and as he turned to leave Lamonds said, “If that cop ever stops me again, I’ll beat his skinny ass right in the road.” Pierce said he advised her that making a statement like that was against the law. Pierce testified that she started yelling and screaming at him, telling him to leave and then she shoved his right shoulder. At that time Pierce said he told her she was under arrest and she resisted. A struggle followed and they both fell to the floor. Pierce said Lamonds jumped and ran and at that time he called for backup and went to meet Jackson outside. When Jackson arrived, Pierce said that Lamonds again resisted, but the two were able to get her cuffed and out of the building.

At the close of the state’s case, Attorney John Deaton moved to dismiss the charges arguing that the evidence did not meet the charges. Judge Gavin did dismiss the disorderly conduct charge; however, he refused to dismiss the other charges.

Testifying on her behalf, Lamonds recounted the events that took place on the day of the incident saying she was having vehicle trouble when she met the officer south of town, but thinks she was still out of town limits when they met. Lamonds stated that when the officer asked her if she knew why she was stopped she told him no. Later in the conversation Lamonds said she did tell the officer that if he was going to monitor the traffic that far out of town that she would appreciate them doing so in town in front of her business. Lamonds said the officer told her that he did not care about her or her business. At that point Lamonds said she told him in that case not to park on her property again.

Lamonds said she did tell the officer that she had had enough of this _ going on with the town police and that she was tired of the police ticketing her employees. Lamonds also stated that she did tell Kellis that she would beat “his skinny ass.”

Lamonds went on to state that she was in her office working when Pierce arrived. After introductions, Lamonds said she told him to just forget it and that he stated to her to sit down and shut her _ _ mouth. At that point Lamonds said she told him to get out, that he was trespassing. Lamonds stated that a struggle followed and that Pierce threw her to the ground twice, kneed her in the back, grabbed her hair and physically assaulted her. Lamonds said when she was able to free herself she ran from the office, afraid he might rape her, calling for help, holding up both her arms for her employees to see that she had been assaulted. Lamonds said that she repeatedly told the officers they had hurt her and told them not to handcuff her, that her arm was broken.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Why do I feel this will end up costing that town more than the officers' in question salary? That "trooper"....well, I'm done.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    I hope much more than their salaries...

not for the sake of the townsfolks... but for the fact that apparently some folks don't learn the first time =/

personal vendettas against the police are never a good idea
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Let's see... Looks like a local businesswoman fronted the campaigns to stack the commission and fire the cops she didn't like. Without cause, and shortcutting the personnel policies.

Yeah... Somehow, I see some commissioners ending up removed, an election nullified, some jobs restored... and those officers getting a nice paycheck, too.

And that one of the conspirators is supposedly a trooper? Not much more to say on that...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    This is wrong on so many levels.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Glad troopers here are a part of the brotherhood and don't think they are better than everyone else. I have yet to meet a Trooper that feels this way. Seems some of the other States have rivalries on jurisdictions and such... this job is too dangerous with enough BS to deal with than worrying about another fellow Brother stabbing you in the back.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for posting this, Pudge. I was on my way in to work when I sent it all to you. The Chief that was fired is a very good friend of mine. Trying to get the word out as much as possible and get these guys some support. Because NC is an "at-will" state, these guys do not have a lot of protection from being fired without cause.

Five-O, so far the town found that it will cost them $75,000 in benefits that have to be paid out to the officers, about $6,000 in vacation and comp time per officer, and the officers have filed for unemployment. As for the trooper, he has been suddenly given a special assignment in a neighboring county. The same trooper is dating Lamonds daughter, the woman who started this whole issue. Starting to make sense now?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wow. Just wow. That's exactly why I don't want to work in a small town. Mobile's politics are bad enough.
    Last edited by McCrackhd; 12-15-11 at 09:04 AM. Reason: addition
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Pudge. I was on my way in to work when I sent it all to you. The Chief that was fired is a very good friend of mine. Trying to get the word out as much as possible and get these guys some support. Because NC is an "at-will" state, these guys do not have a lot of protection from being fired without cause.

Five-O, so far the town found that it will cost them $75,000 in benefits that have to be paid out to the officers, about $6,000 in vacation and comp time per officer, and the officers have filed for unemployment. As for the trooper, he has been suddenly given a special assignment in a neighboring county. The same trooper is dating Lamonds daughter, the woman who started this whole issue. Starting to make sense now?
    Hell, Alabama is an at will state, but this shit would not fly here either. That small town bravo sierra...I'm all too familiar with that. Having briefly worked in one(3 months) , and being a contract car with my current agency. The developer for U.S. Cop put me on a book I'm going to pick up when I can called something like the Legal Rights for Law Enforcement Officers or the like. When I get home I'll find a link for it.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is disgraceful.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I sure hope they can get some recourse.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

213th is offline Solipsist
    I have written a letter

Mr. Holyfield,
    Your actions in dismissing the majority of the Police force of Candor, NC was completely cowardly, without honor and a backstabbing act against brother police officers. I use the word "brother" lightly; you sir exhibit NO characteristics of a good person, or good police officer.
    Extending Mrs. Lamonds personal vendetta against these officers is truly despicable. Just because her daughter is spreading her legs for you like a common whore, you were willing to take illegal action against the upstanding men of the Candor Police Department. Your job, as a city commissioner and a police officer is to uphold the law, not violate it. You are a criminal with no conscience, who is only out for himself. If you had any shred of common decency and integrity, your second to last act as city commissioner WILL be to re-instate the officers, your last act WILL be to resign your commission as State Trooper and resign your position as city commissioner. You WILL then surrender yourself to the authorities for prosecution. We will except nothing less.

Most Sincerely,

213th
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I have written a letter

Somebody rep this guy for me, I'm all out
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Got it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Got him for the both of us

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I hope the state steps in and starts poking their fingers into sensitive places, sans lube.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I hope the state steps in and starts poking their fingers into sensitive places, sans lube.
    If it's anything like here the state could give a shit.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    Great success! I get reply!

will pass this along to Commissioner Holyfield.

Tammy K. Kellis
    Town Clerk
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Now let's see if the asshole gives a response.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information