Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Police officers often robbed of sleep

Duh.

Police officers often robbed of sleep - CBS News

In a survey of nearly 5,000 police officers from the U.S. and Canada, about 40% of the officers were found to have at least one sleep disorder. Obstructive sleep apnea was the most frequent problem. A third of the officers were found to have this blockage of the airways that repeatedly interrupts bedtime breathing.

Researchers also found that more than 6% of the police officers had moderate-to-severe insomnia and slightly more than 5% had shift work disorders, especially those working nights.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Wow...they actually paid money for that?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Guys, we need to do a study. How about bright sunlight: does it hurt the eyes and make it hard ... and split the money as we announce the incredible finding of YES and YES.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    All joking aside, having studies like this can help us when we ask for accommodations in shift work schedules, or illness/injury resulting from working midnights and having court all day.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    As a member of the study I was much like many of us in that I knew Police officers are sleep deprived.

After taking part in the study that required me to track my work hours, sleep hours, and total hours awake I did find patterns that I had not seen prior and was able to make changes to my sleep and work schedules.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sometimes it seems like I live life tired.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I know most people are going to just scoff and say "No sh!t."

But take the time to read the article and be aware of the effects little or no sleep has on you.

I'm sure we've seen "that guy" in our department who works shift all night and part times all day. He's tired and miserable, but his home, boat, and car are all but paid for. But doing that stuff catches up to you. And if you don't care about making that mistake that might keep you from going home, imagine the horror of having to live with a mistake where an innocent person died at your hands, ultimately, because you didn't get enough sleep and were just a little less sharp than you could have been.

Hopefully this study will produce medical guidelines that will govern policies on shift work and how we sleep. But even if it doesn't, it's up to us to take personal responsibility for our well-being. Remember, guys, it's "One Asterisk." So make sure that ass is well-rested.

Thanks for sharing that, Xiphos.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    This isn't news to me, but should be on the news.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What is this "sleep" you speak of?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Like xiphos said, having it published can only help us.

As for me, I don't have apnea, but I do wake up multiple times per day/night, and am addicted to sleeping pills.

I definitely fall under the 40%.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Like xiphos said, having it published can only help us.

As for me, I don't have apnea, but I do wake up multiple times per day/night, and am addicted to sleeping pills.

I definitely fall under the 40%.
    This past summer working graves I needed pills to sleep and then pills to stay awake and I felt awful all the time. This fall I got onto a normal schedule and now I feel great. Try a couple months on evenings or days and reboot.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ambien is my friend! I am an extremely light sleeper, and when I hop into bed, my mind is usually going about 1000 miles an hour. Therefore, Ambien puts me out, but usually only for 4 hours or so. I usually fall back to sleep, but it takes a few minutes, and then it's off and on.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Some of you would shit if you worked here.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Some of you would shit if you worked here.
    Amen to that.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    When I was younger I seemed to do ok with crazy sleeping hours. Now I try to plan for an uninterruped 6 hrs minimum. Grown kids and a fairly stable schedule has really helped that. Now if my schedule gets janked and I have to work a night or two, it messes me up for several days. They say the older you get the less you need sleep but I seem to be oposite from that.

The study can definitely be used to help law enforcement in general. I'm all for it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I can't remember the last time I slept more than 6-straight hours!

Winston Churchill

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I typically wake up after five hours and have to convince myself to go back to sleep again. I also have a very hard time going to sleep, which is worse if I'm not really TIRED but have to get to bed, but a half dose of Nyquil has become my go-to solution with my doctor's permission. It also helps cut down on the snoring.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information