Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Police fatalities rose 13% in 2011

The number of U.S. law-enforcement officers killed in the line of duty jumped 13% in 2011, making it one of the deadliest years in recent history for officers.

Across the nation, 173 officers died in the line of duty, up from 153 the year before, according to a report released Wednesday by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

The nonprofit group that tracks police deaths also reported that 68 federal, state and local officers were killed by gunfire in 2011, a 15 percent jump from last year when 59 were killed. It marks the first time in 14 years that firearms fatalities were higher than traffic-related deaths. The data shows that 64 officers died in traffic accidents, down from the 71 killed in 2010.

Craig Floyd, the group's chairman, blamed the rise on budget cuts to public-safety departments. He cited surveys by police groups that showed many cut back on training and delay upgrading equipment, and referenced a Department of Justice report issued in October that said an estimated 10,000 police officers and sheriff's deputies have been laid off within the past year.
    More here: Police Fatalities Rose 13% in 2011 - WSJ.com

I hope you all stay safe.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Craig Floyd, the group's chairman, blamed the rise on budget cuts to public-safety departments. He cited surveys by police groups that showed many cut back on training and delay upgrading equipment, and referenced a Department of Justice report issued in October that said an estimated 10,000 police officers and sheriff's deputies have been laid off within the past year.
    No brainer.

Where's the public outrage?

Outside a small group of supporters, most people are either apathetic or don't give a shit. Cops are expendable. Lets cut more pay and benefits too. We don't deserve pensions either.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The more we talk about it and show our outrage to whomever will listen, (that includes family, friends and legislators), the more we will have an impact on these facts. Just sitting around doesn't get things done.

May 2012 be a safe year for all. Actually, from this day on, may you all be safe.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Outside a small group of supporters, most people are either apathetic or don't give a shit. Cops are expendable.
    Yep. By a majority of the public and their own departments.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information