Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Texas School Shooting: Brownsville Police Shot And Killed Armed Middle School Student

BROWNSVILLE, Texas — The morning bell had rung and students were settling into their first period classes Wednesday when a voice broke in over the public address system: Cummings Middle School was on lockdown.
    As teachers initiated the school's emergency procedures, locking their classroom doors, turning off the lights, drawing the shades, and calming their confused and worried charges, some students took comfort by climbing under their desks. One boy said he heard police officers charge down the hallway and shout "put down the gun." Then shots, three of them, most students said.
    The officers shot and killed an eighth-grade student who pointed a handgun at them, Brownsville police detective J.J. Trevino told The Associated Press. The 15-year-old, whose name police and district officials didn't immediately release, was taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead.
    Investigators were trying to determine why the boy had the gun at school and whether he fired any shots, Trevino said.
    "It's still under investigation, as far as how he came about to bringing the weapon or if he encountered anybody or anything else," he said. Police scheduled a news conference for later Wednesday to discuss the case.
    News of the incident spread quickly through this border city on Texas' southern tip, and frantic parents rushed to the downtown school to find their children.
    Jade Rodriguez, an 11-year-old sixth-grader, said the experience was frightening.
    "I was nervous. I was under the desk," she said. Administrators said the school would be closed on Thursday but that students could attend classes at a nearby elementary school if they wished. Jade said she too afraid and would stay home.
    With police and district officials saying little about the shooting in its immediate aftermath, those details that did trickle out came mainly from students at the 750-pupil school.

Texas School Shooting: Brownsville Police Shot And Killed Armed Middle School Student
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    How sad. Wonder where he got the gun from?
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sad situation but at least the procedures for lockdown and response seemed to work.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    some students took comfort by climbing under their desks.
    Do they still teach duck and cover?

Sucks to be those officers, but atleast they are going home to their families tonight.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Police say they have received death threats since fatally shooting a South Texas 8th-grade student who was carrying what appeared to be a weapon, but turned out to be a pellet gun.
    Interim Police Chief Orlando Rodriguez told The Brownsville Herald Thursday that the department received threatening phone calls overnight concerning Wednesday morning’s incident at Cummings Middle School, in which 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was shot three times by Brownsville police. No one else was injured.

Police said the boy was brandishing — and refused to drop — what appeared to be a handgun and that the officers acted correctly. They revealed late Wednesday that it was just a pellet gun that closely resembled the real thing.
    Jaime’s distraught parents demanded to know why police took lethal action against their son. Because he pointed a gun at them!
    "Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" the boy's father, Jaime Gonzalez Sr., asked The Associated Press outside the family's home Wednesday night. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?"Because he pointed a gun at them!
    His mother, Noralva Gonzalez, showed off a photo on her phone of a beaming Jaime in his drum major uniform standing with his band instructors. Then she flipped through three close-up photos she took of bullet wounds in her son's body.
    "What happened was an injustice," she said angrily. "I know that my son wasn't perfect, but he was a great kid." He pointed a gun at police!
    Jaime had gunshot wounds on his shoulder and rib cage, and one in the back of his head.Because he pointed a gun at them!
    "That's the shot that bothers me the most," Jaime Gonzalez Sr. said to The Brownsville Herald.
    Police Chief Rodriguez said the teen was pointing the weapon at officers and "had plenty of opportunities to lower the gun and listen to the officers' orders, and he didn't want to."
    The chief said his officers had every right to do what they did to protect themselves and other students even though there weren't many others in the hallway at the time. Police said officers fired three shots.
    Shortly before the confrontation, Jaime had walked into a classroom and punched a boy in the nose for no apparent reason, Rodriguez said. Police did not know why he pulled out the weapon, but "we think it looks like this was a way to bring attention to himself," Rodriguez said.
    If the boy were raising the gun as if to fire at someone, "then it's unfortunate, but the officer certainly would have the right under the law to use deadly force."
    Officers shot the teen with assault rifles, the interim police chief said, according to The Brownsville Herald.
    His godmother told The Herald of the 15-year-old boy who was 5 feet, 7 inches tall: “He wasn’t a bad kid. He looked like a big boy, a man, but he was a child. He was innocent. ... He wasn’t going to hurt anybody, I can assure you. He would have never hurt anybody. I want those parents to know, don’t judge him if you don’t know him.” I am sorry for the familys lost but the officers did what had to be done. i feel sorry for the officers that have to go through this.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Police say they have received death threats since fatally shooting a South Texas 8th-grade student who was carrying what appeared to be a weapon, but turned out to be a pellet gun.
    Interim Police Chief Orlando Rodriguez told The Brownsville Herald Thursday that the department received threatening phone calls overnight concerning Wednesday morning’s incident at Cummings Middle School, in which 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was shot three times by Brownsville police. No one else was injured.

Police said the boy was brandishing — and refused to drop — what appeared to be a handgun and that the officers acted correctly. They revealed late Wednesday that it was just a pellet gun that closely resembled the real thing.
    Jaime’s distraught parents demanded to know why police took lethal action against their son. Because he pointed a gun at them!
    "Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" the boy's father, Jaime Gonzalez Sr., asked The Associated Press outside the family's home Wednesday night. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?"Because he pointed a gun at them!
    His mother, Noralva Gonzalez, showed off a photo on her phone of a beaming Jaime in his drum major uniform standing with his band instructors. Then she flipped through three close-up photos she took of bullet wounds in her son's body.
    "What happened was an injustice," she said angrily. "I know that my son wasn't perfect, but he was a great kid." He pointed a gun at police!
    Jaime had gunshot wounds on his shoulder and rib cage, and one in the back of his head.Because he pointed a gun at them!
    "That's the shot that bothers me the most," Jaime Gonzalez Sr. said to The Brownsville Herald.
    Police Chief Rodriguez said the teen was pointing the weapon at officers and "had plenty of opportunities to lower the gun and listen to the officers' orders, and he didn't want to."
    The chief said his officers had every right to do what they did to protect themselves and other students even though there weren't many others in the hallway at the time. Police said officers fired three shots.
    Shortly before the confrontation, Jaime had walked into a classroom and punched a boy in the nose for no apparent reason, Rodriguez said. Police did not know why he pulled out the weapon, but "we think it looks like this was a way to bring attention to himself," Rodriguez said.
    If the boy were raising the gun as if to fire at someone, "then it's unfortunate, but the officer certainly would have the right under the law to use deadly force."
    Officers shot the teen with assault rifles, the interim police chief said, according to The Brownsville Herald.
    His godmother told The Herald of the 15-year-old boy who was 5 feet, 7 inches tall: “He wasn’t a bad kid. He looked like a big boy, a man, but he was a child. He was innocent. ... He wasn’t going to hurt anybody, I can assure you. He would have never hurt anybody. I want those parents to know, don’t judge him if you don’t know him.” I am sorry for the familys lost but the officers did what had to be done. i feel sorry for the officers that have to go through this.

THIS!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm surprised it wasn't more.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    "Why was so much excess force used on a minor?" the boy's father, Jaime Gonzalez Sr., asked The Associated Press outside the family's home Wednesday night. "Three shots. Why not one that would bring him down?"There was no excess force used. The force used was sufficient to stop the suspect from being a further threat to people.
    Corrected it for you.

. ... He wasn’t going to hurt anybody, I can assure you. He would have never hurt anybody.
    Thanks to the officers, he didn't. Other then the kid he punched in the nose.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    It's a shame that a decision by the kid will likely haunt the others involved. The officers did what needed to be done in response to the boys actions.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke Hoss View Post
    It's a shame that a decision by the kid will likely haunt the others involved. The officers did what needed to be done in response to the boys actions.
    THIS too.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    UPDATE: the kid was hit twice, both center mass. no headshot. The headshot report was found to be a cut on the head from falling.

I read about this on Yahoo news, its good to see the comments section is largerly in favor of the police as it should be. I feel bad for the officers involved. I know its not politcally correct, but they did as trained and went home to their families, so well done.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson63 View Post
    I feel bad for the officers involved. I know its not politcally correct, but they did as trained and went home to their families, so well done.

We are not paid for "what we do". We are paid for "what we are expected to do". Some people will never grasp that concept.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Badge17 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I fully believe that the Officer's did the right thing. They stopped threat before it escalated to a hostage situation.

However I do understand the parents feelings. It was their child and a parent will defend their child even when there is a mountain of evidence that says they were in the wrong.

I feel bad for the Officers involved and the family, it is a bad situation all around.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I noticed it says he was in 8th grade, but was 15yoa? That seems a little old for middle school. Wonder if there were some development or educational issues at play here. Either way, asd all around.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information