Welcome to the APBWeb.
    adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO

Charges Filed In Bible Demonstration

HEMET: Charges filed in Bible demonstration at DMV

BY JOHN ASBURY The Press Enterprise
    STAFF WRITER
    jasbury@pe.com
    Published: 05 January 2012 06:00 PM

Two Hemet church leaders are set to appear in court today on charges related to a Bible-reading demonstration outside the Hemet Department of Motor Vehicles office.
    Brett Anthony Coronado and Mark A. Mackey each face one misdemeanor count of conducting a demonstration on state grounds without a permit.

Charges were filed in September, stemming from a February confrontation between the Hemet Calvary Chapel leaders and a California Highway Patrol officer outside the DMV.

Full story: HEMET: Charges filed in Bible demonstration at DMV | Breaking News | PE.com - Press-Enterprise

I hope, hope, hope they can actually stick these guys with charges. They are insanely confrontational and abuse the concept of the First Amendment. They intentionally go to where people are standing in lines, then they start yelling scripture and insults. When they do their antics in front of the courthouse, they would scream at people, calling them whores, prostitutes, and such. Mind you, some of those people were in line for traffic court or family law issues. One woman I talked to was in tears because she was in line with her adult son to file temporary guardianship papers so she could care for his kids while he was in Afghanistan. It never ceases to amaze me what people do in the name of "Christianity".

The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Cursing and screaming insults near or at my kids will result in a bond being posted.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    If they are yelling insults that are likely to cause an "immediate breach of the peace" that's called "Fighting Words" or "Disorderly Conduct" around these parts.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    If they are yelling insults that are likely to cause an "immediate breach of the peace" that's called "Fighting Words" or "Disorderly Conduct" around these parts.
    That's the exact angle I took. They called to complain about me more than once & the Lt. told me I was wrong to order them to leave. I pointed out that their behaviours and words were "likely to incite", and were therefore unlawful. The Lt. said that if the people didn't like hearing it, they could just walk away. I pointed out that in each of the situations, the people in line were essentially a "captive audience" (which is exactly what these twits look for) and would, in fact, suffer legal consequences if they were to get out of line. Yeah, it may not be the crime of the century, but "quality-of-life" crimes are important to me.

The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

Verified LEO
    Here's a link to their video of the arrest at DMV. I love how in the introduction, the "pastor" mentions the "ministry" they do at the local courthouse. I only wish they would post the video of their "ministers" in front of the courthouse, yelling that the people in line are going to hell & shouting the insults. Of course, that wouldn't gain so much sympathy, now would it? By the way, they know exactly why the arrest was made. They're just trying to goad the officer into a more emotional response.
    Video:

Here's a link to the related civil suit:
    http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/201...nt_4_26_11.pdf

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    sounds like a good 415PC
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    The officer handled himself well. The intent to was to get arrested and make a statement. Well here is my statement your rights stop when they infringe on the rights others.
    The Gospel can be offensive. If they wanted it to be a real ministry develop a relationship with people. I have yet to find in the Bible where Gods word was being forced upon anyone.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Thread Information