Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Handcuffed suspect stole police cruiser, used police radio to ask for key to unlock his handcuffs

William Francis Blankenship stole the car Tuesday from a local officer in the Porter County town of Kouts and then used the police radio to ask where to find the car's cigarette lighter — and a key to unlock himself, police said.
    "There was a conversation between him and one of our officers," Porter County Sheriff's Sgt. Larry LaFlower said. The sheriff's deputy did not tell Blankenship how to remove the handcuffs or use the cigarette lighter, and instead tried to talk Blankenship into pulling over and giving himself up, LaFlower said.
    Police found the town cruiser Wednesday morning "wrecked and submerged in water" in a drainage ditch in nearby LaPorte County, but Blankenship, 22, was no longer with the vehicle, LaFlower said. Police say no other vehicles were involved and they are investigating how the cruiser got there.
    LaFlower said loaded weapons — a handgun, shotgun and a rifle — that had been left in the vehicle were still there when the wreck was discovered. Police had reported earlier that Blankenship should be considered armed and dangerous.
    More here: Police: Handcuffed Man Took Cruiser, Asked for Key - ABC News

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have the key. Pull over and I'll give it to you.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Bill9823 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I guess that Officer has some explaing to do.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral crisis, do nothing." Dante

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Dear Chief:
    Many things have changed since our last talk, but hopefully not my employment status.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Update:

A man accused of stealing a police cruiser while handcuffed in northwest Indiana, then using the police radio to ask where to find the car’s cigarette lighter, has turned himself in after two days on the run, authorities said early Friday.
    The officer whose squad car was stolen said he only realized the cruiser was gone when he looked up and saw the taillights leaving the parking lot.

“I probably had a really dumb look on my face for maybe half a second,” Kouts police Sgt. Dave Johnston told The Associated Press earlier Thursday.

Johnston, an 11-year veteran, said he believes Blankenship managed to contort himself to get the handcuffs in front of him, then hopped into the front seat and put the car into reverse before pulling away. The squad car was found in a drainage ditch Wednesday, and authorities recovered the police weapons stored in the cruiser.

Johnston said he handcuffed Blankenship’s hands behind his back and put him in the back of the running patrol car Tuesday night after spotting what he thought was drug paraphernalia in his car. The officer informed Blankenship he was under arrest, then went back to search the car more thoroughly. Johnston said he was searching for only another minute or two when he looked up.

Johnston said he was “a little embarrassed” because he knows a lot of people will assume he did something wrong, but he said he has been cleared of any wrongdoing by Kouts’ police chief.

___
    More here: Man accused of stealing police car in Ind., radioing for help unlocking handcuffs, caught - The Washington Post

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Cages/dividers do wonders... With no cage you really need to keep an eye on the guy, maybe move your car so you can try to search a small bit and keep looking up to check the bad guy. I sometimes get paranoid, because I'd be the one officer that something crappy like this would happen to. I'm guessing he might have been the only officer and couldn't have someone help him? Thank goodness no one got hurt and the guns weren't taken.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information