Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Life-Saving "Not Related" to Conn. Officer's Work

A Connecticut police officer who tried in vain to save the life of a dying 10-year-old boy -- only to be notified by city officials that his heroic effort was not part of his job -- met Friday with city officials who promised to clarify the notice, FoxNews.com has learned.

The notice, Barbagiovanni said, indicated that the incident was not "causally related to a work-related condition" and that city officials would contest workers compensation if he applied for it.

"It's not city policy and it's not going to be city policy that CPR is not part of a police officer's duties," Sherwood said. "What should have happened and didn't happen is that the officer asked for a response (from the city) and didn't get one."
    Sherwood said Barbagiovanni did "everything appropriate" and acted courageously when he tried to revive the boy until responding paramedics took over.

Read more: Connecticut Police Officer Fights For Answers After Being Told His Life-saving Attempt Not 'related' To Work | Fox News

You have to pass First Aid/CPR to graduate Basic and be certified here, which would indicate to me that it is expected to be part of the job.

Bureaucracy is just plain crazy.

"It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    It comes down to some one wanting to "save money". For most of these bureaucrats the most important decision they have to make in a day is what restaurant to order lunch from. They have never had to pull that kid form the pool who is blue and listen while the mother screams to save her baby. All they see is money that might come out of their budget that in sted of being used for their pet projects would be going to insure an officers health. As officers we are first responders and for them to clam that life saving is not part of our job is a load. I know that when I was working 9 times out of 10 we beat the medics and the hose monkeys to the scene by minutes. In the academy we were taught that our responsibilities when arriving on scene were 1) scene/officer safety 2) Aid to victims 3) what ever else needed to be done.

I had a situation when I first started out where ( due to the chief being an ass) I was assigned to work with a senior officer for a night of "retraining". We got dispatched to the scene of a single car accident on the freeway. The vehicle had slid on the wet roads and struck the end of the jersey wall and then slid along it. I get up to the vehicle and observe that both the driver and passenger are disoriented and bloody. Prior to being a cop I was an EMT and from my training I would have guessed a high probability of head and neck injuries. I tell the other officer to go hold C spine on the driver and that I would get the passenger until medics could get there. He told me no go that victim care is not our job and that we have no business providing any level of first aid or anything. I looked at him and told him to fuck him self and did it anyway. The medic arrived and stabilized the occupants. As we are getting ready to leave ( State patrol took all of our accidents on the freeway) both the trooper and the fire capt. came over and told me that I did the right thing and were amazed that an officer actually had the for thought to do something. This pissed of the other officer something mighty and he wrote me up and I actually got in trouble for it. Some people just don't under stand what it is to be a public safety official.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Darkness cannot thrive in light. Sadly, the darkness here was the actions of the city bureaucrats. How those people sleep at night is beyond me.

Even more sad, while I seriously doubt the city I work for would do something like this, I can't say it with 100% confidence.

But we don't do this job for the assholes in city hall. Or even the assholes upstairs in admin. We do it for the people we're paid to serve. Kudos to that officer.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    But we don't do this job for the assholes in city hall. Or even the assholes upstairs in admin. We do it for the people we're paid to serve. Kudos to that officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by copboy View Post
    I tell the other officer to go hold C spine on the driver and that I would get the passenger until medics could get there. He told me no go that victim care is not our job and that we have no business providing any level of first aid or anything. I looked at him and told him to fuck him self and did it anyway. The medic arrived and stabilized the occupants. As we are getting ready to leave ( State patrol took all of our accidents on the freeway) both the trooper and the fire capt. came over and told me that I did the right thing and were amazed that an officer actually had the for thought to do something. This pissed of the other officer something mighty and he wrote me up and I actually got in trouble for it.
    Thanks to all of you who save lives even if the bureaucrats claim it's not part of your job.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't see what the circumstances that led the officer to the child. I don't know if the officer saw something in progress or the aftermath. If it were something in progress, say the child was actively drowning, would that have been, "causally related to a work-related condition". Was this officer just supposed to stand around with his thumb up his ass while the child died?
    It seems to me that the officer is not asking to be paid for his actions, just be covered should he fall victim to an illness or the like because of his actions. One of the first things we were taught in my academy is that the first priority is the preservation of life. I don't chase ambulances or first responders but I still stand by that priority to the best of my ability.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    The protect on life and limb surely is the highest priority even above the prevention and detection of crime.

Surely when a Police officer or anyone else trained to act in a crisis (military, emergency services etc) arrives and does something it can assist the other people around to stop think and help.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Thread Information