Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Defibrillators Carried By Police

For some time it has been muted that as first responders we carry these. I think the fact that the new ones are fairly idiot proof helps!
    Nice to see my old unit is the first to give it a go.

BBC News - West Midlands motorway police to carry defibrillators
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Great device! I'm still here because of one carried by our cars. . . .
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm fascinated by this particular kit, mostly because I know little about it. Some years ago defibrillators were all the rage in the news, but what was missing was why. (If not for Duracell using it for marketing I may well still not know about them) Is CPR ineffective, are these much more so?

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    CPR alone will not revive a casualty from a heart attack.

Those who have collapsed in the last few minutes may be in Atrial fibrillation the defibrillators stop this random and unhelpful chaotic electrical impulse and hopefully the heart and nervous system will start in a proper useful normal heart beat.

I think the ARVs in Hertfordshire had them about 10 years ago when I was at uni down that way. That was at a time they were considered so difficult to use that as a volunteer medic I was required to requalify on them every 3 months.

The newest ones can really be used by an untrained member of the public the pads have a picture of where to stick them on and the machine gives a voice prompt for everything including CPR between shocks.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would hope that this would become more common the world over. It has been discussed for patrol supervisors to carry them here. As an AED instructor I wish we could get a grant to put them in all cars. We routinely arrive to scenes before rescue. That is not a slight to them, just the nature of our area.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    We carry them in two of our cruisers; they're supposed to be on the street at all times. We've had a couple of good saves with them over the years.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    all of our cars have them and we have two saves in the last few years

we are not doing cpr anymore on witnessed arrest, we now do ccr, has a high rate of life
    your blood is so oxygen rich that getting the blood preasure back up is found to be more important, 200 compressions in 2 min an breath then 200more compressionsin 2 min etc
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We had them when they first came out, and they had rechargable batteries. The first time I hooked it up to a guy, I hit the button, and the machine said "Low Battery. Charge before use." It was a definate 'Oh shit" moment. I did CPR for about 10 minutes before EMS got there and got the guy started once, be he petered out and died. I'm glad that we've upgraded to the latest generation now.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    We carried them in our cars in Royalty Protection and there is one on the wall in the pantry just outside the Queens bedroom.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information