Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

British tourists arrested at US airport after posting Twitter jokes about destroying America and digging up Marilyn Monroe

Two British tourists were barred from entering America after joking on Twitter that they were going to 'destroy America' and 'dig up Marilyn Monroe'.
    Despite telling officials the term 'destroy' was British slang for 'party', they were held on suspicion of planning to 'commit crimes' and had their passports confiscated.
    Federal agents even searched his suitcase looking for spades and shovels, claiming Emily was planning to act as Leigh's 'look out' while he raided Marilyn's tomb.
    Bar manager Leigh, from Coventry, and Emily, 24, from Birmingham, were then quizzed for five hours at LAX before they were handcuffed and put into a van with illegal immigrants and locked up overnight.
    They spent 12 hours in separate holding cells before being driven back to the airport where they were put on a plane home via Paris.
    Emily's charge sheet stated: 'It is believed that you are travelling with Leigh-Van Bryan who possibly has the intentions of coming to the United States to commit crimes.'
    Leigh's charge sheet, alongside a police mug shot and finger print, added: 'He had posted on his Tweeter website account that he was coming to the United States to dig up the grave of Marilyn Monroe.
    'Also on his tweeter account Mr Bryan posted that he was coming to destroy America.'
    Read more: Emily Bunting and Leigh Van Bryan: UK tourists arrested over 'destroy America' Twitter jokes | Mail Online

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to
    AMERICA!!

Land of the Free*!!!!!

*Some restrictions apply. Void where prohibited.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wow.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Freedom of speech does not include yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater. Civics 101.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A bit harsh.
    They should have tweeted him and told him not to come, he could have saved alot of time, money and heartache.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Freedom of speech does not include yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater. Civics 101.

Apples and oranges.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Apples and oranges.
    ...perhaps prior to September 11th, 2001.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Please!!! Somebody in the TSA needs to get a grip!

Apparently all common sense is beaten out of the poor sods at their swearing in. Digging up Marylin Monroe? It's a FUCKING joke, you TSA morons.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    OK, I can see that STRICTLY speaking, having seen the tweet it could have triggered an alarm somewhere, however, why it was acted upon in this manner is beyond my comprehension.

Perhaps the DHS should take a leaf out of a chap who defended our homeland in WWII.

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." Douglas Bader.
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    TSA wanted to seem like they were on top of things after all the reports of the stuff that got past them.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    TSA wanted to seem like they were on top of things after all the reports of the stuff that got past them.
    What is REALLY SCARY is that the Red Team is getting over on these folks 70% of the time. Do you really want to fly?

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Do you really want to fly?Car 4
    No, I really don't. In the left seat flying is...sufficient. Right seat...political. Everything behind : animal quarantine.

Since I can't find enjoyable seating I'll take a guy named Larry (or Darrel, or the other Darrel) driving me in a classic Dodge Dart anytime. More interesting way to travel and so much cheaper.

Thread Information